• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I did a search for Poles in the "Hardgoods" sub-forum and saw very few threads dedicated to ski poles.

So....

Can I measure my length barefoot, of do I need to be wearing athletic shoes or ski boots?

We need to get two pair for frontside skiing, any recommendations? Carbon or not? Is diameter important?

I am a believer in "buy once, cry once", but would like to keep it below $125 per pair please.

Thanks

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Carbon's nice, but I wouldn't recommend it for someone that just started. In fact, with a little diligence you should be able to pick up two nice pair for way under your $125 goal. Scott makes some really nice aluminum poles for a decent price - I recommend looking for the ones with an S3 shaft, or maybe an S4 if you're feeling rich. I use S3 types at work, beating on them for a lot of days and they ski well and hold up.

As far as length, try the old method of holding them upside down (in street shoes is fine) and grasping them under the basket with your arm at a right angle. If anything, I suggest going maybe a little shorter, but if you go with the right angle test and eventually want them shorter you can trim them down.

You can find really cheap ones in thrift stores, yard sales, and ski swaps. Maybe check out the Scott ones in a store if you can, to see what kind of qualities to look for. You're looking for a comfortable handle and strap (I like soft rubbery handles).

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I got my current poles, aluminum Gipron, for $10.99 Canuck Bucks in a used sporting goods store.
Length, like skis is a bit of a personal thing, I say elbows at 90 degrees with hands higher than the basket with the pole upside down in street shoes, will work out to the correct length in boots on skis with pole held properly. For deeper snow you may want longer; for pole touches on top of big moguls, you may want shorter.

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
Make sure that the straps fit around your gloves. I have warm weather gloves and cold weather gloves. The straps that came with the new poles that I bought last season would not fit around my size large cold weather gloves. Next time I buy poles, I'll bring my gloves with me. Also, I am 5'11" and use 50" poles which might be a tad long for some people.

river-z

searching for seasons
Skier
IMO: ski poles are like guitar straps. expensive ones look nice, but don't make you better.
i picked up some $15 poles years ago, lost 'em in Dec, then dug some 'new' ones out of the lost-and-found bucket. they work fine.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
IMO: ski poles are like guitar straps. expensive ones look nice, but don't make you better.
i picked up some $15 poles years ago, lost 'em in Dec, then dug some 'new' ones out of the lost-and-found bucket. they work fine.

the only thing worth paying for are nice straps that let you use poles the correct way. Bonus if they release....

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I've had 2 pair of carbon Scott poles stolen off the rack. Jibbers, I'm sure as they were short. I don't spend a lot of money on poles since that second pair went missing. Ski swaps are usually a good place to look, but not in Florida I suspect.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I don't even use the straps; I've had too many thumb injuries using straps, and I was using them the "correct" way. BTW, most of my skiing was done with Scott pistol grips poles - no thumb injuries with those, but they were harder on the shoulders.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
GRASS STICKS FOLKS! @Grass SticksLove these things and yes, it supports a local Steamboat biz. I have the groomer baskets which are really sweet. Custom length, pole and baskets (interchangeable sizes) color, and if you want, adjustable straps now.

grassticks 3.jpg
grasssticks 2.jpg
renoun gs.jpg

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
the issue with most poles is non releasable straps...

I use to ski woods all the time with out unstrapping my poles, never had an issue. But now I have some releasable strap Salomon which I feel are superior to the other option because the straps function like a normal strap going on and off, unlike the LEKI with is silly little harness around your gloves..

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I'm really glad to see Grass Sticks using adjustable straps now. That was the one thing I didn't like about the product when I met those guys at Copper last year. Seems like a really high quality pole and I think bamboo will outlast aluminum most of the time. I'll have to pick up a pair for my kid.

I never thought I'd use anything other than the cheapest aluminum poles I could find, but about 8 years ago, my wife bought me some K2 composite poles for Christmas and I have to say I love them. To this day they are still arrow-straight and have no nicks or scrapes.

I bought a separate pair of poles for slalom because I didn't want to keep swapping the guards on and off, and I bought the LEKI Trigger S. I found a fantastic discount on them and you will need to as well to get under the desired price point, but they are awesome. Instead of a traditional strap, the have a little eyelet thing that connects to the pole grip by a spring-loaded mechanism, allowing you to have the strap firmly connected to your glove, but have the freedom to easily disconnect from the pole between runs. The pole itself is the highest quality aluminum pole I have ever encountered.

As far as length, I've seen it stated pretty emphatically that you must measure using the 90 degree elbow test while in your ski boots and clicked into your skis to measure for the stand height you'll be using on the hill and this is the exact correct measurement for everyone and if you deviate from this you are doing it wrong and it will be impossible to ski correctly. Personally I think that's rubbish, but it's subject to debate I suppose. I think the elbow test with street shoes on gets you into the ballpark and individual preference can vary by a few CM, so it may be worth to hit up a rental shop early season and try a couple different lengths to see what works for you, length-wise. Personally I've never bothered to dial it in that precisely (but then I'm not the best skier.)

Reactions: Ron

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
OK reading Josh's post that got in before me, I guess the silly little harness isn't for everyone. But I like it :D

Definitely agree that some kind of release mechanism is a great thing to have, especially if you're skiing trees.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I usually get my poles at one of our local ski swaps. I don't like to spend a lot on them since i had a pair stolen off the rack once. My favorite poles from the swap are these $40 Rossignol super thin poles. Plan to get another pair this fall.

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Often can get poles on clearance in those "way too long" type sizes and just cut them down.
Outside of my daughters LEKI racing poles, can find some good quality poles this way for a song. Actually my Scott S4 poles I paid maybe $20 for brand new on clearance. Yeah we're super long, but nothing pulling the grip and a chop saw can fix.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I got my current poles, aluminum Gipron, for $10.99 Canuck Bucks in a used sporting goods store.
Length, like skis is a bit of a personal thing, I say elbows at 90 degrees with hands higher than the basket with the pole upside down in street shoes, will work out to the correct length in boots on skis with pole held properly. For deeper snow you may want longer; for pole touches on top of big moguls, you may want shorter.
Hand under basket with pole upside down, elbow at 90 degrees. But if your ski poles are too long you tend to stand too straight and not bend your knees enough. I like my poles short, 6' 2" tall and like 46 - 47 inch poles. The last pair of poles I paid only $18.00 at an after Christmas sale.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As far as length, try the old method of holding them upside down (in street shoes is fine) and grasping them under the basket with your arm at a right angle. If anything, I suggest going maybe a little shorter, but if you go with the right angle test and eventually want them shorter you can trim them down.
Where we used to measure 90* from on the top of the fore arm, now I will measure 45* on the bottom of the arm, this will give you a good idea. for length.

TS
Started at 53

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks all, I can see that poles are not a big deal, I will take your advice and just get some with a nice strap and be done with it. You guys/gals are the best

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
I did a search for Poles in the "Hardgoods" sub-forum and saw very few threads dedicated to ski poles.

So....

Can I measure my length barefoot, of do I need to be wearing athletic shoes or ski boots?

We need to get two pair for frontside skiing, any recommendations? Carbon or not? Is diameter important?

I am a believer in "buy once, cry once", but would like to keep it below $125 per pair please.

Thanks
Sorry to comment on a slightly older thread but, I am going to say that you should avoid carbon, and to cheap out on poles. Well that's simple but, why? I owned some carbon poles, they were cool looking but, I kinda like a little heft to my poles and I saw no gain over my standard poles so I returned them for a partial refund, and why cheap out? New poles are a huge waste in my book, unless you are a huge AT or uphill in general guy, I'd avoid spending much of anything on poles as they don't affect performance too much unless they are just flat out the wrong size. As for your size and feet coverings question, it shouldn't matter too much on measuring the length with bare feet unless you're a racer and you are using some type of riser plate, the main reason why you would be missing a few centimeters on the pole, and I don't believe most poles come in that specific of sizes anyways. Good luck with your pole buying experience. :)

Wallace

Booting up
Skier
A little different look at poles. Being an older and somewhat weaker skier, I am looking for the strongest pole I can get, so I can use them to help getting up when I crash. I have carbon fiber, but am somewhat concerned that they may break due to cuts that have accumulated over the years. What is the strongest pole that I can get?

Sponsor

Staff online