• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Please identify this Pemas Matterhorn Roof Rack

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
35431259530_ab90c5e742_c.jpg

35009670693_f325fb6271_c.jpg

35819702035_b3fc94c5be_c.jpg

I am thinking late 80's-early 90's for a traditional gutter mount. Were these even available in the US? @ScotsSkier @fatbob @Muleski

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
My hunch is that it's a bit newer. I think mid to late 80's. I have only seen that brand once. Wife of a Canadian /Czech coach, from Canada had one on a VW GTI, as I recall. Sort of a classic! Not that I would ever use one these days, even if I had an older car with gutters! Skis in the car, or in the roof box, unless it's a very short {3 miles} ride on a bine dry day, and even then, bases together! Haha.

Last edited:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
That's a typical 1960's era/type ski rack. Fits on rain gutters, if you remember what they were. I've got an even older Thule rack with a similar attachment method, but the Thule can be adjusted to different widths for slimmer or fatter cars. Put lots of miles on racks that attached like that and never lost one off a moving car.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
I had that roof rack or a very similar one on my first car. It was great! And I've thought, as recently as 3 months ago, I wish I had a roof rack like that. It popped on & off super easy, was unaerodynamic enough to keep you from egregious speeding, generally did the trick with minimal investment and fuss (I think it came with the car?). Somewhat related, when did volvos stop coming with that hole between the back seat and trunk made for skis?

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sure, Barrecrafter and even Thule had racks like this..but who was Permas?

Sponsor

Staff online