• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Plasti Dip on skis.

Disneynskiing

Booting up
Skier
I decided that I wanted to paint my skis after being asked many time in the short time I have had them if I was using two differnet skis.
After doing some research I decided to use Plasti Dip that way it would come off when I want it to. I sprayed 3 coats of white then painted my design with craft acrylics on that, followed by a couple coats of the Clear Plasti Dip top coat. I think they turned out pretty good. Can't wait to see how it holds up.
F4mZqJPg.jpg

TS
Disneynskiing

Disneynskiing

Booting up
Skier
These:
csm_VOE-1617-Alley_01_2512be5be4.png

LeLeedler

Racer at Heart
Skier
I decided that I wanted to paint my skis after being asked many time in the short time I have had them if I was using two differnet skis.
After doing some research I decided to use Plasti Dip that way it would come off when I want it to. I sprayed 3 coats of white then painted my design with craft acrylics on that, followed by a couple coats of the Clear Plasti Dip top coat. I think they turned out pretty good. Can't wait to see how it holds up.
F4mZqJPg.jpg
Very pretty! I am damned impressed, I have heard of and seen some very janky paint jobs, so bad that they affected performance but, man those look great, any info on any kind of performance change?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Very pretty! I am damned impressed, I have heard of and seen some very janky paint jobs, so bad that they affected performance but, man those look great, any info on any kind of performance change?

The nice thing about PlastiDip is you can always peel it off 6months later. It's *much* better than topsheet tape.

The real question is how well the acrylics OP used will hold up. Fingers crossed.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
They look great, I think a manufacture should sell a graphic free ski just for you artistic types to put on your own design.

mishka

Getting off the lift
Industry Insider
The nice thing about PlastiDip is you can always peel it off 6months later. It's *much* better than topsheet tape.

The real question is how well the acrylics OP used will hold up. Fingers crossed.

I would keep expectations low.

btw it's easy to test and don't have to wait till next season. Scuff one ski over another or scratch with ski poles

Regardless how PlastiDip perform .....nice job

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This reminds me of @Freaq 's skis. He should appreciate this project.

F4mZqJPg.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
Next do the car...

Don't think Dad will be happy about the overspray on the driveway.

TS
Disneynskiing

Disneynskiing

Booting up
Skier
Not sure about the acrylics either, I am worried the clear coat will peal away from it. I am thinking of just ordering a few colors of the plasti dip and redoing the to make sure it stays better.
The only issue with spraying/painting them was that I have to cut out a small spot above each binding heal piece, they touch my skis so any thing more there is to thick.

Edit: just did the test that was suggested above, the top coat came off the acrylics. On the plain plasti dip (still clear) it held fine.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Plasti Dip? I have Plasti Dipped some pliers and screwdrivers in my time so my mental picture of the skis was way different!

@Disneynskiing , you are an artist! Lose the Plasti Dip and all the weight, thickness and durability issues. Prep the top sheets with cleaning and sanding. Use epoxy paints to get a clean, light and tough finish that will last like the stock finish. Your art should be permanent.

Eric

TS
Disneynskiing

Disneynskiing

Booting up
Skier
Plasti Dip? I have Plasti Dipped some pliers and screwdrivers in my time so my mental picture of the skis was way different!

@Disneynskiing , you are an artist! Lose the Plasti Dip and all the weight, thickness and durability issues. Prep the top sheets with cleaning and sanding. Use epoxy paints to get a clean, light and tough finish that will last like the stock finish. Your art should be permanent.

Eric

Thank you, I will have to look into that. I was thinking about doing a painting and getting some good photos of it and just do custom vinyl wraps and eventually just custom topsheets but I will think about doing that first. Do you know of anyone who has done it? Just wondering exactly how it will wear.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This reminds me of @Freaq 's skis. He should appreciate this project.

I was thinking the same thing.

And as fate would have it, I just helped snofan remove some of this type of product (I think he used Krylon Spray n' Peel) from one of his skis. His was just a single color in two coats and he decided he wanted it off. So now he has a bright green Peel Coat ski and a black Rossi S98. It actually looks pretty good together. We used a heat gun to soften the material and peeled it off by hand. What wouldn't come off readily we got off with a piece of ScotchBrite.

FWIW, he pulled the bindings, sprayed the entire topsheet and remounted the bindings. The thickness of the layer ought to be insignificant for a safe remount. Be sure to use waterproof glue when you remount the bindings and be sure to screw into the same threads by slowly turning the screw counerclockwise in the hole until it drops into the thread before turning clockwise. I prefer wood glue over epoxy as it release a bit more easily and is much less likely to try to bring some of the core with it. I pulled one binding out of a ski that had been glued with epoxy that left a hole that was too big even for a helicoil to fill. A big mess. Fortunately the client just wanted the bindings, not the ski so it wasn't a great loss.

Mickey

Booting up
Skier
And as fate would have it, I just helped snofan remove some of this type of product (I think he used Krylon Spray n' Peel) from one of his skis.

Which begs the question, how did it hold up and for how long before the removal?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It held up well on the ski that was still covered. The usual nicks and missing bits from edges and such. I'll ask him to shoot me a photo.

TS
Disneynskiing

Disneynskiing

Booting up
Skier
Update. Will post photos tomorrow in the daylight.
Planned a New design that didn't require to many colors and started on it today. In order to remove the old Plasti Dip I ended up using Acetone.. the paint stays quit well. I have only done one ski so far but I am LOVING this design way more!!! Bright Blue and green strips with black palm trees

TS
Disneynskiing

Disneynskiing

Booting up
Skier
Progress Photo:
hwIZQfIr.jpg

Edit: Wrong photo link...

TS
Disneynskiing

Disneynskiing

Booting up
Skier
All done!!! Well almost, I have a bit more to remove, of the old, by the bindings. I decided to only paint how much I did for ease of repainting.
BExKRLm.jpg