• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

James

Out There
Instructor
From Sunday the 11th.
National 9/11 Memorial in New York.
This is the North Pool, built in the footprint of the North Tower. In the background is the base of the new WTC and at left is the Financial Center across West St in Battery Park.
image.jpg

The streams of water are precisely delineated. They echo the lines of the Towers as you looked up them from the ground from the arch of the Tridents then straight up. It's beautifully done.
image.jpg

This is what was:
image.jpg

This is a view at night. The names are backlit but don't show up well in photos.
image.jpg

Here's a better view of the patinaed bronze panels with the names that were cut out by waterjet. (The center of o's, d's, etc are actually suspended and held by a cross piece underneath that's bolted to studs.) The panels go all the way around the edge. There are tubes below the bronze that circulate cool water in the summer and warm in winter. If not for that the panels would become much too hot from the sun. This way you can touch the names.

The names are arranged in general by where people were at the collapse. People killed in the plane that hit the North Tower are listed there.

North Pool:
Those working in North Tower, Flight 11, those killed Feb 26, 1993 in the bombing.

South Pool:
Those working in South Tower, Flight 175, First Responders, those killed at the Pentagon, Flight 77, Flight 93

People who worked together generally are grouped together. Families also made requests for people to be grouped together.
image.jpg

This is the Tribute in Light. This was first done many years ago well before the memorial was even drawn. There are two square beams representing the Towers that were destroyed. I believe it is only lit around this time of the year. Last year there were hundreds of birds flying in and out of the beam circling. It is turned off at times for around 20min and back on so the birds don't exhaust themselves in their migration south.
https://www.wired.com/2010/09/tribute-in-light-birds/
image.jpg

I spent nearly 9 months involved with the cleanup of the Twin Towers in 2001/2. I have to say years ago when the memorial talk started I was 100% opposed. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a memorial while people who worked there were suffering with no care?

But this...
It's incredible. Beyond a worthy tribute. One of the most profound spaces in the country.

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From Sunday the 11th.
National 9/11 Memorial in New York.
This is the North Pool, built in the footprint of the North Tower. In the background is the base of the new WTC and at left is the Financial Center across West St in Battery Park.
View attachment 13415

The streams of water are precisely delineated. They echo the lines of the Towers as you looked up them from the ground from the arch of the Tridents then straight up. It's beautifully done.
View attachment 13416

This is what was:
View attachment 13425

This is a view at night. The names are backlit but don't show up well in photos.
View attachment 13418

Here's a better view of the patinaed bronze panels with the names that were cut out by waterjet. (The center of o's, d's, etc are actually suspended and held by a cross piece underneath that's bolted to studs.) The panels go all the way around the edge. There are tubes below the bronze that circulate cool water in the summer and warm in winter. If not for that the panels would become much too hot from the sun. This way you can touch the names.

The names are arranged in general by where people were at the collapse. People killed in the plane that hit the North Tower are listed there.

North Pool:
Those working in North Tower, Flight 11, those killed Feb 26, 1993 in the bombing.

South Pool:
Those working in South Tower, Flight 175, First Responders, those killed at the Pentagon, Flight 77, Flight 93

People who worked together generally are grouped together. Families also made requests for people to be grouped together.
View attachment 13422

This is the Tribute in Light. This was first done many years ago well before the memorial was even drawn. There are two square beams representing the Towers that were destroyed. I believe it is only lit around this time of the year. Last year there were hundreds of birds flying in and out of the beam circling. It is turned off at times for around 20min and back on so the birds don't exhaust themselves in their migration south.
https://www.wired.com/2010/09/tribute-in-light-birds/
View attachment 13419

I spent nearly 9 months involved with the cleanup of the Twin Towers in 2001/2. I have to say years ago when the memorial talk started I was 100% opposed. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars on a memorial while people who worked there were suffering with no care?

But this...
It's incredible. Beyond a worthy tribute. One of the most profound spaces in the country.
I remember a drive back from Aspen with you, @Chris Geib and @Bob Barnes, when (one of us) asked a question about the time you disappeared from Epic, which was after 9/11. Your recount of how you got involved and spent your time was a story that is burned into my memory.
Thank you for sharing this.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Kauai is an incredible island. My favorite of the Hawaiian Islands....although its been 28 years since I've been there.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Went to Kauai last week. Almost didn't come back.

kauai.JPG
We went there seven years ago and will go back some day, it was the most beautiful place I have ever been.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So, we had a SPECTACULAR lightning storm in our area last night that lasted quite awhile. The storms here in UT are tame compared to anything I'd experienced on the east coast or midwest, BUT because of the lack of trees here, you get great views. This storm was absolutely incredible. A neighbor took this picture of a lightning strike just down the street. :eek:
14484988_10210961330415575_464520254305710225_n.jpg

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My buddy is a professional snake wrangler/educator here in Phoenix. Last night we went out looking for snakes in one of his hot spots and saw nine Sidewinders on a few mile stretch of road. We relocated all of them to safety.

IMG_3620.JPG

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, we had a SPECTACULAR lightning storm in our area last night that lasted quite awhile. The storms here in UT are tame compared to anything I'd experienced on the east coast or midwest, BUT because of the lack of trees here, you get great views. This storm was absolutely incredible. A neighbor took this picture of a lightning strike just down the street. :eek:

That is an incredible picture!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That is an incredible picture!
Kind of makes ya feel small, doesn't it?
And sidewinders are so cool! I used to ride my horse through the CA desert and come across them. They are quite docile for rattlers.

Sponsor

Staff online