• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Those trees look like tons of fun!

I went back to the snow patch on Mt Washington on June 10th. It didn't shrink much, but now it's not, so it will be gone soon.

You guys still have tons of snow, how long will it last?

This year some of the snow will easily last into when next season begins.

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Historic Donner Summit, June 12, 2017

By the twelfth of June most schools are out for summer. Is the first thing that comes to mind powder skiing? Yes!

Here is Spence's description:
"We hit up Historic Donner Summit at around 3:15. Visibility was classic San Francisco Ocean Beach-styled fog and heavy mist (you could not see "Poop Chute" from the road). After mulling over several options, we ended up skiing a super low-angle knoll right off the road. Snow was about 4 inches of thick&wet on a packed, yet soft base. It was also starting to form breakable crust. While we didn't kick off any serious wet slides, all of our turns looked like drunken snowboarder turns (it ended up looking like somebody raked the entire slope, instead of nice figure 8's). Pretty sure steeper terrain would have slid."

Historic Donner Summit. We skied the snow patch across the road.
hds800IMG8311crcrhds.jpg

Spence making fresh tracks.
hds800IMG8323crhds.jpg

Stev gettin' wet n sloppy.
hds800IMG6155crashds.jpg

Spence finding his way through the fog.
hds800IMG8335crashds.jpg

Stev using Spence's tracks to find his way through the fog.
hds800IMG6165crashds.jpg

Spence takes another run.
hds800IMG5265crhds.jpg

Stev takes another run.
hds800IMG6170crhds.jpg

While this was not your typical powder day, it was still fun to ski fresh snow.

Wooley12

Putting on skis
Skier
I'm lucky enough that patch skiing is nearby and we have some pretty big patches. Another week and we can drive up to the base and have a family picnic.

TU47g2zHmoX-g7A9WJCucsm7CXbdOCCFXKMIfARp17q3_Yj-vx4DQ0pnx-_YGzeQ68ouNfFSw0jt5yHZp0aJdmNlGxVlbYhPss_fyGUgQcuo2Vu7A6bej71ckYzBcYmIo6tWtRSEZLjVlFo65ePkpStF4fw55ZZfF6aWXJHPJzGvpE01cZ-keYsifcTKkXrHJB2SSYLPQqWB6f-kOGRXpCFOZMhC_n_bOkj5q6hJxX3EYsDDtgh3oD1lPZ_3_qudKAp3dt3SIKgd5GW24fg6zbNVTpyl96K6Kl2JMUItI6e9ukqS2yFGO4mhqvVNqyUymj437fvIpIjKQcryLJ8rW8xgPB_GLejOU9olEKlzuC7AfP475otkmOZeNa9O1NY1Q3CFVOmEMfKucoXUHCWNWXDAH-N3Qc8WyLQi15C9_PdBNH--JzheaVzOHANHFpz_P3VZZivmWAxrmM5jFfQvK1VkaM4K-r_k8sMaf210Qh0ee0KiMleoadIwD0UxvOCSZWN8yD6YbbU1MYWLDZeYs74yMDmnvu_frDiJPGkqjKlPiYH4hBuWofDFsMA9EihdS-qHUzxr6AVXqRVJUIl3FC34WJApX5Xt_Yhln7hnVFbIaRwWZkxfzQ=w1046-h588-no

JFB

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's June 20, so does this peak count as patch skiing? The missus and I hit Ophir Peak this morning, dropping in around 10:00. $$ Corn with minimal cupping was enjoyed until we got into the trees out of sight in the photo. Gotta love the Sierra Summer after a big winter!

Ophir Pk 6-20-17 7858 E.jpg

Gratuitous photo of tracks up top.
Ophir Pk 6-20-17 7818 E.jpg

Life is good.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
It's June 20, so does this peak count as patch skiing? The missus and I hit Ophir Peak this morning, dropping in around 10:00. $$ Corn with minimal cupping was enjoyed until we got into the trees out of sight in the photo. Gotta love the Sierra Summer after a big winter! over

Life is good.

+1 I also got out there on June 20 for some almost Summer patch skiing. For those of us on the West Coast it was the day of the Summer Solstice which I understand was after mid-night and June 21 for East Coast time zone.

I parked at Carson Pass about 9 and hiked to the large snowfield below Elephants Back where I skied my first 2017 patch. It was not very steep and somewhat sun-cupped, but very supportive corn. I had to take off my skis to get to the next patch that was steeper and got me back close to Carson Pass. The shoulder on lookers left of Elephants Back also looked good, but did not want to take my dogs close to cornice and cliffs out that way.
1494ElephantsBackCR.JPG

Looking down the first patch towards Caples Lake
1491Snow2CaplesLakeCR.JPG

To get to 10K+' Round Top would require a lot earlier start and touring gear would help. I was on alpine gear and did my hiking in ski boots.
1485RoundTopWPugStickerCR.JPG

Last edited:
TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Scenic Chute Near Rock Creek Vista Point, Montana, June 16, 2017, Part One

Our original plan was to ski Beartooth Basin. We were first delayed by Beartooth Pass being closed in the morning after a dusting of snow. Next, after the road opened, Beartooth Basin wasn't running lifts due to a generator issue. Our plan "B" became skiing a snow patch we saw along the drive up that was about a quarter mile up from the Rock Creek Vista Point. After this we would ski above Beartooth Loop and Gardner Lake in Wyoming to complete patchskiing in two states in one day.

Stev skiing the Scenic Chute Near Rock Creek Vista Point.
mt800IMG6209crcrmt.jpg

Spence skiing the Scenic Chute near Rock Creek Vista Point.
mt800IMG8384crmt.jpg

Part Two will be added soon.

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Beartooth Loop, Gardner Lake, Wyoming, June 16, 2017, Part Two

After skiing Scenic Chute Near Rock Creek Vista Point, Montana, we headed back up the road to Beartooth Loop, Gardner Lake, Wyoming. The two laps we took here would allow us to complete patchskiing in two states in one day.

Spence skiing above Beartooth Loop.
wy800IMG8429crwy.jpg

Spence on the approach for our second lap above Beartooth Pass Highway.
wy800IMG8462crwy.jpg

Stev skiing above Beartooth Loop and Gardner Lake.
wy800IMG6295crcrwy.jpg

Our tracks.
wy800IMG6309crwy.jpg

Mission accomplished. Skiing was great in both states.

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
Yesterday I attempted to summit Mt. Hood, Oregon's highest peak at roughly 11,239' (I've read everything from 11,234' - 11,250'). Unfortunately, I got a late start and made the decision to turn around about 300 yards shy of the peak. Extremely warm temps made for unstable snow and dangerous rockfall. Regardless, it was a fun hike and the 3000'+ vertical descent was well worth the effort. The hike took me roughly 2.5hrs and I took my sweet time descending, carving huge turns and slashing around in the untracked slush.

I started my ascent from the top of the Palmer Lift at Timberline.

I wore crampons and carried an ice axe, although both were unnecessary until I approached the final ascent. I moved steadily, taking one short snack/water break before reaching crater rock.

Here is the view of Illumination Rock as I climbed towards Crater Rock.

Once I reached Crater Rock (approximately 1.5hrs) the perils of the trek started to become much more apparent. Hidden crevasses, thermal vents spewing noxious sulfuric gas, wet slides, and rockfall all worked together to make me feel increasingly uncomfortable (exactly what I was looking for).

Although I was personally attempting to solo to the summit, I knew there would be plenty of other hikers on the mountain. At no point did I feel completely alone. A group of 3 hikers started their ascent at roughly the same time as me, and we all reconvened at The Hogsback, a convenient place to hydrate and refuel before attempting the final ascent. At this point it was roughly 2:15pm. All of the research I had done suggested adhering to a strict 2:00pm turnaround during the summer months. While the bootpack I was following seemed stable, I had increasing concerns about instability and rockfall closer to the summit. The group of 3 decided to go for it, and a huge part of me felt compelled to follow suit. Against my better judgment, I decided to go a bit further, knowing in the back of my head that a summit was probably unlikely.

Moments later I witnessed a very large wetslide about 100 yards to my right. The slide wasn't particularly violent or energetic, but the terrain trap below was enough for me to finally make a definitive decision; I was done. I tore off my crampons, clicked into my skis, and got the hell out of there. All things considered, it was a great day! The snow through the descent was much better than I thought it would be. Pretty much the best day evah!

:bestday:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Yesterday I attempted to summit Mt. Hood, Oregon's highest peak at roughly 11,239' (I've read everything from 11,234' - 11,250'). Unfortunately, I got a late start and made the decision to turn around about 300 yards shy of the peak. Extremely warm temps made for unstable snow and dangerous rockfall. Regardless, it was a fun hike and the 3000'+ vertical descent was well worth the effort. The hike took me roughly 2.5hrs and I took my sweet time descending, carving huge turns and slashing around in the untracked slush.

I started my ascent from the top of the Palmer Lift at Timberline.

I wore crampons and carried an ice axe, although both were unnecessary until I approached the final ascent. I moved steadily, taking one short snack/water break before reaching crater rock.

Here is the view of Illumination Rock as I climbed towards Crater Rock.

Once I reached Crater Rock (approximately 1.5hrs) the perils of the trek started to become much more apparent. Hidden crevasses, thermal vents spewing noxious sulfuric gas, wet slides, and rockfall all worked together to make me feel increasingly uncomfortable (exactly what I was looking for).

Although I was personally attempting to solo to the summit, I knew there would be plenty of other hikers on the mountain. At no point did I feel completely alone. A group of 3 hikers started their ascent at roughly the same time as me, and we all reconvened at The Hogsback, a convenient place to hydrate and refuel before attempting the final ascent. At this point it was roughly 2:15pm. All of the research I had done suggested adhering to a strict 2:00pm turnaround during the summer months. While the bootpack I was following seemed stable, I had increasing concerns about instability and rockfall closer to the summit. The group of 3 decided to go for it, and a huge part of me felt compelled to follow suit. Against my better judgment, I decided to go a bit further, knowing in the back of my head that a summit was probably unlikely.

Moments later I witnessed a very large wetslide about 100 yards to my right. The slide wasn't particularly violent or energetic, but the terrain trap below was enough for me to finally make a definitive decision; I was done. I tore off my crampons, clicked into my skis, and got the hell out of there. All things considered, it was a great day! The snow through the descent was much better than I thought it would be. Pretty much the best day evah!

:bestday:
Very cool. Thanks for narrating and illustrating this!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I'm lucky enough that patch skiing is nearby and we have some pretty big patches. Another week and we can drive up to the base and have a family picnic.

TU47g2zHmoX-g7A9WJCucsm7CXbdOCCFXKMIfARp17q3_Yj-vx4DQ0pnx-_YGzeQ68ouNfFSw0jt5yHZp0aJdmNlGxVlbYhPss_fyGUgQcuo2Vu7A6bej71ckYzBcYmIo6tWtRSEZLjVlFo65ePkpStF4fw55ZZfF6aWXJHPJzGvpE01cZ-keYsifcTKkXrHJB2SSYLPQqWB6f-kOGRXpCFOZMhC_n_bOkj5q6hJxX3EYsDDtgh3oD1lPZ_3_qudKAp3dt3SIKgd5GW24fg6zbNVTpyl96K6Kl2JMUItI6e9ukqS2yFGO4mhqvVNqyUymj437fvIpIjKQcryLJ8rW8xgPB_GLejOU9olEKlzuC7AfP475otkmOZeNa9O1NY1Q3CFVOmEMfKucoXUHCWNWXDAH-N3Qc8WyLQi15C9_PdBNH--JzheaVzOHANHFpz_P3VZZivmWAxrmM5jFfQvK1VkaM4K-r_k8sMaf210Qh0ee0KiMleoadIwD0UxvOCSZWN8yD6YbbU1MYWLDZeYs74yMDmnvu_frDiJPGkqjKlPiYH4hBuWofDFsMA9EihdS-qHUzxr6AVXqRVJUIl3FC34WJApX5Xt_Yhln7hnVFbIaRwWZkxfzQ=w1046-h588-no

I can't see this =/

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Lamoille Canyon, June 20, 2017

Our original plan was to ski a dusk patrol mission on June 19th with our friend Curtis. However, when we made it to road's end we were met by a downpour. We would set out again the next morning.

That evening's sunset shows why this range is called the Ruby Mountains.
lc800IMG8707crlc.jpg

Spence starts down smoothly...
lc800IMG8714crlc.jpg

...carves and continues down...
lc800IMG8730crlc.jpg

...and continues to carve more creamed corn snow...
lc800IMG8747crcrlc.jpg

Stev slarves and sprays the creamed corn snow...
lc800IMG5335crlc.jpg

...and skis down toward the canyon...
lc800IMG5336crlc.jpg

...then navigates a gully with branches slalom on the lower portion of our run...
lc800IMG5360crlc.jpg

Our run provided us with around 1,000 feet of vertical pleasure. Lamoille Canyon is definitely on the to-do again list.

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Sonora Pass, June 22, 2017

Cooling off with Makisha and Penny.

Makisha wonders why Stev isn't skinning up faster.
sp800IMG8839crassp.jpg

Penny looking up at a steeper area.
sp800IMG8843crcrsp.jpg

A self-timer photo.
sp800IMG5383crsp.jpg

Tenacious Penny.
sp800IMG8849crcrsp.jpg

We all had fun cooling off on the snow.

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
After doing some yardwork earlier in the day, we (myself, my wife Michele, and our dogs Makisha and Penny) wanted to head up to Sonora Pass to cool off a bit.
On the approach we were greeted by a bit of hail, rain, thunder and lightning. While this would cool us off even more, it would mean just a little skiing.

Penny, Makisha, and Stev.
sp600IMG54922crcr5sp.jpg

sp600IMG2750crcr5sp.jpg

Further down Makisha watches Penny and Stev.
sp600IMG1403crcr5sp.jpg

Sonora Pass panorama taken from the "Big Tree" parking area off of Highway 108.
sp600IMG8859cr5sp.jpg

I skied the open ridge on looker's left. Just one cool run.

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Blue Lakes Road Ridge, June 26, 2017

When I heard that Blue Lakes Road was recently opened to the fourth gate (around 7.4 miles in) I was inspired to go on a recon ski mission. Makisha and Penny were happy to join me.

Penny is happy to be out on the snow.
blrr800IMG8866crcrasblrr.jpg

Stev starts down after Makisha and Penny with The Nipple in the background. (Self-timer photo)
blrr800IMG5391crblrr.jpg

Makisha and Penny.
blrr800IMG8872crblrr.jpg

blrr800IMG8881crblrr.jpg

A successful recon mission. The snow conditions were smooth and creamy. The coverage on The Nipple looks very impressive. I plan to return. I hope that they open the road soon to make access to The Nipple easier.

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
The Nipple, "B-Cup Chute", June 28, 2017

After doing a recon ski mission two days earlier on Blue Lakes Road Ridge, I had a strong desire to head back and ski some of what I could see. The "B-Cup Chute" looked like it was filled in with smooth snow. Makisha and Penny were also excited to go.

Penny straitlining the lower portion of the "B-Cup Chute"
tnbc800IMG8901crcrtnbc.jpg

Looking up at The Nipple (upper looker's left) with Penny and Makisha in the foreground.
tnbc800IMG8914crcrtnbc.jpg

Makisha and Stev (self-timer photo)
tnbc800IMG5404crtnbc.jpg

Stev (self-timer photo)
tnbc800IMG5411crtnbc.jpg

A two-minute long video.

I skied 7 more smaller patches on the way down after this. I'll be heading back to this area to explore more.

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Forestdale Patches, June 30, 2017

After hearing that Forestdale Road was partially/halfway open, I decided to take Makisha and Penny with me on a recon mission. This would also provide a good start to the long Independence Day weekend. We would start from just past the bridge over Forestdale Creek and hike all the way up the road to Forestdale Divide.

From the top of the Forestdale Divide we headed up to the "Luniz Patch" and took three runs. The first was on the "Luniz Backside Patch" which delivered double the amount of turns (10) as the "Luniz Frontside."

Makisha and Stev on the Luniz Backside Patch (self-timer from first run)
fp800IMG5415crfp.jpg

My second run was on the frontside of the "Luniz Patch" -
Makisha, Penny, and Stev on the Luniz Patch (self-timer from second run)
fp800IMG5427crfp.jpg

My third run would start at the top of the "Luniz Patch" and continue non-stop to the bottom of "The Patch" or the "Right Patch"
A panoramic view across the Right Patch.
fp800IMG8928crcrfp.jpg

We hiked up from the bottom of the "Right Patch" to the top of the "Center Patch" which connected with the "Left Patch"

Penny and Makisha want me to get going on the Upper Center Patch (self-timer prior to fourth run)
fp800IMG5435crfp.jpg

Stev, Penny and Makisha on Upper Center Patch (self-timer from fourth run)
fp800IMG5438crfp.jpg

I was able to find a snow-filled gully below the "Left Patch" to ski down which shortened the hike out back to the Forestdale Creek Bridge. There is a lot of snow and many more patches to ski around Forestdale Divide.

TS
Stev

Stev

Orange Mocha Frappuccino
Skier
Ebbetts Pass, July 1, 2017

Ebbetts Pass had just opened the previous day. Pat and I set up a car shuttle to ski "Chinese Fireball Dragon Chute" down to Kinney Reservoir.

Pat on the warm and dry portion of our downclimb (or rappelling without a rope) into what is left of Chinese Fireball Dragon's head.
ep800IMG8949crep.jpg

Pat on the cold and wet portion of our downclimb (or rappelling without a rope) into what is left of Chinese Fireball Dragon's head.
ep800IMG8950crep.jpg

Pat clicks in on a shelf on Chinese Fireball Dragon's neck.
ep800IMG8956crep.jpg

Stev skiing "Chinese Fireball Dragon Chute"...
ep800IMG5446crep.jpg

...exiting "Chinese Fireball Dragon Chute"...
ep800IMG5449crep.jpg

Pat hopping down "Chinese Fireball Dragon Chute".
ep800IMG8959crcrep.jpg

Pat skiing above Kinney Reservoir.
ep800IMG9002crcrep.jpg

Stev skiing above Kinney Reservoir.
ep800IMG5462crep.jpg

Stev skis toward the edge of Kinney Reservoir.
ep800IMG5485crcrep.jpg

Pat completes the log crossing on the hike out.
ep800IMG9072crcrcrep.jpg

A panoramic view across Kinney Reservoir looking up at Ebbetts Peak.
ep800IMG9073crcrep.jpg

A closer view.
ep800IMG5489crep.jpg

We skied "Chinese Fireball Dragon Chute" (what is left of it after a knight named Heat Wave chopped off most of its head) on upper looker's right and the chute below Ebbetts Peak that goes all the way to Kinney Reservoir

Sponsor

Staff online