• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Painful/Ingrown toes and ski boots

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Ever since I can remember, I've had a painful toe nail on the big toe of one foot. Even touching it lightly causes shooting pain. Can't wear many shoes, despite having narrow feet. So ski boots have always been a problem. When I got heat formable boots, I used a heat gun and screwdriver handle to create a large bulge around that toe. That helped. But with a very low instep, I've always been two sizes down on boots, so toe clearance is always an issue.

I've always thought I should do something about it. But I read about the procedure. 3-4 week recovery time. Then I look at my calendar. I'm going on this hike, this trip, this ride, its ski season . . .

Well, almost on a whim, I did it this week. Its a very simple procedure. They just cut a slice of the toenail off and kill the root so it won't grow back. Turns out I have very curved toenail (which exacerbates these problems). I also had a very jagged and irregular margin on the toenail. So now my toenail is ~5mm narrower and the edge is super straight and even.

And boy was it easy. I was under the impression that it was very painful. No. Most painful part was two shots with a large needle to fill (yes fill like a balloon) the toe with painkiller. Call it a 5 on a scale of 1-10. Procedure was over in two minutes. Felt some mild sharp pains after local wore off (3, maybe 4 on the scale). Not continuous. Next day this continued, but still not continous. No ibuprofen or anything. Quite tolerable.

Today is two days later. Nada. No pain at all. I can even push gently on the toe. Nada. I'll be applying neosporin to the nail bed and bandaging for another week or so. And have to stay out of the pool/hot tub for 2-3 weeks. But I can see hiking or biking within another day or two. I can imagine that I'd be ready to ski in another week or so.

This is a relatively common issue. If you've ever considered doing this, I highly recommend it. I should never have waited this long.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I've had it done on two toes, both the 4 toe on each foot. Go in, the doc numbs the toe, clip, clip, snip, snip, it's done. Use antibiotic cream and toe bandage until its healed. No sweat no mess. I walked out in my normal shoes without pain. It was wonderful. If you have ingrown toe nails I recommend having them treated as soon as possible.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
So when I have suggested to someone that they cut off what hurts, I was right!? LOL

I'm happy for both of you that you have been able to relieve the pain.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had both big toes done when I was a teenager. Ingrown toenails that had become infected, probably exacerbated by ski boots that were outgrown. Problem solved, never to recur. It was painful as heck, especially when the freezing wore off.

Sponsor

Staff online