• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Overheated Brake

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So this past Sunday, in 93 degree heat, Robin's front brake on her Santa Cruz Superlight locked up in the parking lot before we even hit the trail. Luckily we were at an event where there were plenty of bikes for her to demo.

Apparently the Avid brakes she has can overheat and freeze up. Later in the afternoon I wrapped a bag of ice around the handlebar for about 10 minutes and the brake worked for a period of time afterwards. Today it is 92 degrees here and when I took her bike into our LBS the brake was locked up again.

BTW she demoed a full carbon Santa Cruz Tallboy that had a recommended retail price just a hair shy of 9K!!! She said it rode great, but not that much greater than her 2K Superlight.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I've never had that happen. Hot enough to burn you if you touched the rotor, yes. But not hot enough to seize. What did the folks at the LBS say?

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
LBS said that Sram will send out a new part under warranty. Seems to be a problem with that particular model.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I've noticed this as well. There is no vent in the brake system so if there is any air in the system or if it's not enough the system expands and pushes the piston out. Check the manual.. You can adjust the volume of fluid to allow for this.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Curious do you transport bike with front wheels off?

either way one way to cure this problem, is to squeeze the brake lever, and slowly screw the bleed port screw just enough to cause a couple drops of brake fluid to come off and the brake will work for fine. My guess is the brake was over filled.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Avid Elixir brakes.

Josh, The Santa Cruz reps told us that this is a problem wit these brakes and the wrench at LBS said he would contract Sram and they will send a new part under warranty. A guy that was riding with us had his replaced last year. Needs more than a bleed. Haven;t had a wheel off her bike in quite a while - have one of those tray racks.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's not just Avid... it can happen on pretty much every DOT4 filled brakes. If brake fluid is old, it has some water and air bubbles in, and when it gets hot, this can happen. Solution is to regularly change brake fluid... or get brakes that use mineral oil and not DOT4 (Shimano and Magura) :)