• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

OTG Goggles?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I now wear my driving glasses for just about everything and now I've decided that Iant to wear them skiing this year. Robin got me some Giro goggles that claim to be OTG but they don't even fit over my glasses.

Help! What can I get that will fit my glasses, not fog, and not break the bank?

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I now wear my driving glasses for just about everything and now I've decided that Iant to wear them skiing this year. Robin got me some Giro goggles that claim to be OTG but they don't even fit over my glasses.

Before I went to contacts, I used Smith OTG goggles. I checked their website, but I don't recognize the model I used, so it probably has been replaced by a new model. I recall they had cylindrical lenses, not spherical, and were not exchangeable, so perhaps that leaves more room for glasses.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Also depends on the size of your glasses. Smaller is better for sure.

I've a friend that has the bottle of coke bottles for lenses. He uses the insert in goggles. But you need glasses if you should go indoors. So he has to carry his.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Agree that you might have better luck starting by getting a pair of smaller glasses first if yours are large. Doesn't hurt to have a spare pair anyway.

If on a budget, you can also try Amazon and get a no name brand of OTG goggles.

Fogging is more likely to be with the glasses more than the goggles.
You should pick up and keep an anti fog wipe with you and use it before you goggle up. I've had success with smith nofog reusable cloth which usually are around $3 at the skiishop counter.
Do not use antifog on the goggle lens, that will actually removes the factory antifog and ruin them.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

You are choosing a rough road. After decades of frustrating driving on it, when Covid and the masks came, it became impossible. I finally went to distance contacts for skiing and cycling.

When I was wearing OTG, the Scott Storm was my go-to. It appears they are no longer made. If you get desperate I might have an extra pair you can have. PM me if so.

But as others have said, you really need to try them on with your glasses. If you have big frames you're probably SOL.

FWIW, the Smith I/O Large model worked with my glasses even though it was not marketed as an OTG. So don't filter excessively while shopping.

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Get the Smith Optical Inserts and the I/O Mag XLs. I went to this set up from turbo fans. Way better set up and won’t fog, plus easy change lens.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I just bought prescription insert for $135.00. I already have one pair but like them so much that I bought a back up pair. I bought a larger size for my new Uvex goggles. These are game changers for me. I hate contacts because I can’t read my phone or a map with them in. I can’t stand glasses due to the fogging issues. My inserts fogged once in a snowstorm until I took my hood off. I skied down, used the anti fog wipes that came with the inserts, put my hood back on and went back out a believer! After 25 years of contact lenses, I am a free woman!

Prescription inserts

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
https://www.zennioptical.com/ for surprisingly good glasses cheap. Gotta try the glasses inside the goggles. If your face gets sweaty the glasses will be the first to fog. The old method of rubbing a dry bar of soap on the eyeglass lenses then polishing off with a dry cloth still works to make the moisture sheen on the glass, not bead up.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Get the Smith Optical Inserts and the I/O Mag XLs. I went to this set up from turbo fans. Way better set up and won’t fog, plus easy change lens.

Do these really work as well as the Turbo Fans? I've been buying up parts on Ebay to keep my Turbo Fans going for as long as possible. I think mine are the ods 2 adapters, so not sure I could move them over. I just changed prescriptions so I need these to last a while.

johnnyvw

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've been using Smith IO/X for the last 8 or so years. They fit well over my glasses and I like the variety of lenses available. The Chromopop works very well for me in flat light conditions, where I need all the help I can get.
I considered an insert, but then I can't see very well in the lodge LOL

BigSlick

Getting off the lift
Skier
Do these really work as well as the Turbo Fans? I've been buying up parts on Ebay to keep my Turbo Fans going for as long as possible. I think mine are the ods 2 adapters, so not sure I could move them over. I just changed prescriptions so I need these to last a while.
I was worried when I switched over, but they are as good or better than the Turbofans anti-fog wise, better field of view and and having the quick change lens feature makes it worth the switch.

Deadslow

Getting on the lift
Skier
How about pivoting away from OTG googles and try a helmet with a built in visor - they work great while wearing regular prescription glasses and have an amazing field of view without fogging issues.

helmet.JPG

trieu

Putting on skis
Skier
PSA. If you are going to buy insert - just don't buy the plastic frames alone. Ideally buy the prescription lens as well - but if you want to take it to your local optometrist, then opt to buy the clear lens in addition. This way - they have something to mold your lens from.

TS
Crank

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Thanks y'all.

I'm going to look into inserts while at the same time start trying goggles out in person.

This looks interesting though.
How about pivoting away from OTG googles and try a helmet with a built in visor - they work great while wearing regular prescription glasses and have an amazing field of view without fogging issues.

View attachment 218253

Sponsor

Staff online