• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Ocean View Chairlift

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Some of you will remember my friend, Bob, from the Saddleback or Jackson Hole gathering. We ventured over to Camden Snow Bowl for a little hike today. Scenic. How many here have skied at an area with an ocean view? (See last photo. )

20161002_115021-01.jpeg

20161002_123757-01.jpeg

20161002_204253-01.jpeg

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Tony, very cool. How many in Eastern North America could there be? Something up in Canada or Connecticut? Expect we'll get someone to chime in about Alyeska, AK?

Closest thing like that for me would be Le Massif and Mont Sainte Anne where the St. Lawrence River feels a lot like the sea and is in fact 10+ miles wide in that vicinity. Very beautiful.

Not to hijack your thread, but Vince at Le Massif:
800x600px-LL-DSCF3677.JPG

800x600px-LL-DSCF3693.JPG

Here's the rascal again at Mont Sainte Anne:
1226897442_pic2.jpg

Photos from late March 2008, a good spring up there!

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I remember reading about that place in Ski Magazine (or similar) and have since been intrigued. If I'm ever in the area, I would check it out.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'm not sure if Yawgoo Valley is tall enough to see the ocean or not. I mean you might not be able to see over the trees. Only one I've been to is Sugarloaf. No, not that Sugarloaf, the one in Campbeltown, NB, but like Mt ST Anne, not sure if it counts, it's more an estuary or bay there. Newfoundland would have something that counts.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Tony, very cool. Expect we'll get someone to chime in about Alyeska, AK?

Thats the first one I thought of but just looking at some images and the I don't think you can see the Pacific, just the Turnagain inlet, does that count?

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Mt Pilchuck in WA state (hasn't operated since 1977) probably had a view of the Puget Sound, again not the ocean, but pretty cool to see when you've got another mountain range on the other side of the water.

WheatKing

Ice coast carveaholic
Skier
Over looking Georgian Bay from Blue Mountain in Ontario Canada.. Not down to the water, but a great view of the water (or ice) on a bluebird day.

Q7JGJ3WNwNJxsPRD_VML1mANzopptns754Coyfd7oUPEQBMulhfMlNlXdzdwJO26oHzc7OgxMhmZtChRpvm9X6tlltx0w46teaiX_idjhq0iGnk4SkfzG58dGQJ5NUTz-3UNg-R2KdW892fYU2jgD3SG9RYQVqvyHnNuINDQ9a85T8KifXp1C85Td1bn4qCBL3fZp-UTQyHtgycJOFmt53JEh4jp228yCK-MCLQx_vO0l-Dbfc7I4RBd48bPH57ivOPK-0d6G5QR75vkpIprtsKmNs8Q_T9LICGramNAKlwuCxG8ud4ruu2-k_azy8CYmrbrYFTFf8rW-JLn5CiwZfxYr4HEowIa3E7anZYk_EOQpHiCNGcSiQLEWCYIx9KljuizORk4UbMT191ZMgiZHfahP8UC3DOZP9vEl-iaiyXY5cMVeiczWWNoh_ONPFwveO1WmPUvVmgK3vLztjSHRgyyAoNaSLxG0BItKYNR7DeHOcrr726Rxi3Kw1wJgPQvfGSNqeQHHXOZNicbKExNpx_A-k2w9V6gf1NCVnb5tSnXg_JE6tDnGUZS51W47TZ3vf0pK9sxsS3KO60U8bQsYKM-fdT9xw6pwmXq22nwXYzBvptZ=w1366-h445-no

Muleski

Inactive
The view from the Camden Snow Bowl on a sunny day, when all of the islands are snow covered, is beautiful. Camden is a great town. Neat spot.

Cypress, outside of Vancouver has great views. It's proximity to the ocean is why the snow there was problematic for the freestyle stuff during the Olympic Games.

I have not skied near Ushuaia. Son has. The town is right on the Beagle Channel. But the skiing at Cerro Castor in quite a ways away. 30km? Dunno about the views from there.

I've been to Alyeska. I'd count it. Awesome looking down at the inlet.

Count the Artic...Iceland!!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd think most places that close to unfrozen ocean would be susceptible to lots of wet snow and rust on everything, Alyeska being an exception for now..

Indianhead and BlackJack in UP MI are right off Lake Superior. Man the wind is brutally COLD coming across that in late January.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd think most places that close to unfrozen ocean would be susceptible to lots of wet snow and rust on everything

You just described all of New England. :rolleyes:

Muleski

Inactive
We could get into lakes, and lake views as well, and really drift this thread! Bohemia, and Lutsen look over Lake Superior as well. A number in New England, face frozen lakes. A lot in Canada.

As far as the wet snow, the one time I was at Cypress, outside of Vancouver, the weather was abnormally cold with low humidity. Snow was quite dry. I think they do deal with weather, there. Or so I was told. I believe the issues at the Olympics were as a result of air temperature, but I might be all wrong.

I have skied at Camden quite a bit over the years, and I would say that it's not noticeably different that the rest of Maine on any given day. Obviously not the state of the art grooming and snowmaking of the big places. If anything, I would say it's due to the lower elevation. Coastal storms deliver a lot of snow far inland to Sugarloaf and Sunday River. Have never heard of or observed any real rust issues on anything, certainly not skis. Of course many older lifts in New England show their age and a lot of surface rust between periodic paint jobs! Everywhere in the Northeast, as Tony says!

The skiing at Ushuaia is the southern most in the world, and at elevation. I have not been there, but I hear first hand that the snow is generally great. Then again, the crew I know is going there to train. Alpine racing.

I've been to Iceland once, and it was cold and wintry when we were there. Dry snow. Felt like you could ski right into the ocean. Next time, we'll go back in late May. Have heard nothing to suggest any abnormal moisture there. But next time we want perfect spring corn. And yeah, observed no rust. Rusty heli's would not inspire confidence.

I defer to @SBrown, who was there this year.

I guess that, as I think about it, if there were to be a location that might have issues, it could be the PNW. But can't think of any other areas with an ocean view, or are that close. I've been to Mt. Baker once, for a couple of days, and it dumped the whole time. Saw no views. Skiing was tremendous. That might be one?

I live right on the ocean, and salt air sure does create corrosion issues. No doubt. But we're 150 feet away. 10 feet above sea level. It can be a mess. But we're not skiing here!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I'm not sure if Yawgoo Valley is tall enough to see the ocean or not. I mean you might not be able to see over the trees. Only one I've been to is Sugarloaf. No, not that Sugarloaf, the one in Campbeltown, NB, but like Mt ST Anne, not sure if it counts, it's more an estuary or bay there. Newfoundland would have something that counts.

I don't think Marble Mountain really counts; White Hills maybe.

NS has Ski Cape Smokey:

Last edited:

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
Japan? Many ski resorts close to the coast. That's where the snow is coming from, ocean 'lake effect'. Going there in February with my daughter, hoping to get some photos and post a TR.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
If you count the Straights of Juan de Fuca as the ocean then Hurricane Ridge near Port Angeles, WA is a definite contender. You're right above the straights looking across them to Victoria, B.C. However, there are only T-bars, no chairlifts.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January