• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Now that Epicski is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but is it OK to reference PMTS on PugSki? I am not necessarily a PMTS advocate, but did (re)learn how to ski with side cut using HH and Litos books and DVDs. As most techniques are common to all skiing, I could frame the question using generic terms, but it makes more sense to reference the system in which I learned. It's no big deal, just asking for clarity so I don't commit a faux pas

Here, I believe, PMTS (Primary Movements Teaching System) is an open topic (subject to moderation as necessary, I assume). Epic's history with that topic was pretty ugly; Pugski doesn't carry that weight.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but is it OK to reference PMTS on PugSki? I am not necessarily a PMTS advocate, but did (re)learn how to ski with side cut using HH and Litos books and DVDs. As most techniques are common to all skiing, I could frame the question using generic terms, but it makes more sense to reference the system in which I learned. It's no big deal, just asking for clarity so I don't commit a faux pas
It is. Where there were issues prior was where some of the zealots that dominated conversations and were unproductive. If that happens here, it will be addressed.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
Lets join together to make sure that people of all levels of skiing are finding a good resource.

If you see an intermediate ask a question that devolves into something out of reach, be the solution.
Curate a good library

I think this is happening; one of the reasons, ok 2, I really appreciate Pugs is that ppl leave thier egos at the door & really scale their dialogues. Any expert can preach in jargon, but we've got some gems who really cultivate their sharing of knowledge to an appropriate level/audience.
:)

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Here, I believe, PMTS (Primary Movements Teaching System) is an open topic (subject to moderation as necessary, I assume). Epic's history with that topic was pretty ugly; Pugski doesn't carry that weight.

And we did have our share of discussion on this. Actually, I started one of the threads, without knowledge of the previous trouble.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Bogatyr

Chasing the snow
Skier
I saw that, and some of the public discussion, early on. Glad PS can open that discussion — on a short leash, at any rate.
I personally don't believe in discussions that are on a short leash. What kind of discussion this could be. The discussion should be left on its own,it should be self regulating (like the free market) Sure if you post something nasty or criminal, it should be taken care of, otherwise,just leave it alone. No one will benefit from a discussion where everyone agrees with everyone.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I personally don't believe in discussions that are on a short leash. What kind of discussion this could be. The discussion should be left on its own,it should be self regulating (like the free market) Sure if you post something nasty or criminal, it should be taken care of, otherwise,just leave it alone. No one will benefit from a discussion where everyone agrees with everyone.
Discussions that are heathly and respectful are fine. But the PMTS wars go way abck and there was much baiting and arguing for the sake of arguing that was where it all went downhill..and not in that good way.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Sure if you post something nasty or criminal . . ..

Nasty and sometimes even criminal, that was the definition of PMTS threads at Epic. The ban wasn't introduced because the Epic staff was pro-PSIA and wanted to suppress PMTS discussion for political reasons. It was put in place to prevent verbal (and apparently once physical) violence, and to avoid the lawsuit that was threatened.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor

It's pretty simple. Post as if you're going to ski with people the following day.

Bogatyr

Chasing the snow
Skier
Nasty and sometimes even criminal, that was the definition of PMTS threads at Epic. The ban wasn't introduced because the Epic staff was pro-PSIA and wanted to suppress PMTS discussion for political reasons. It was put in place to prevent verbal (and apparently once physical) violence, and to avoid the lawsuit that was threatened.
I doubt you know this first hand , you only subscribed to Epic short time before me and that means long time after all this had happened. I read some of the archived threads and they were a pretty amusing reading for the most part.Of course there was stuff that was coming again and again and this finally became kind of boring. But I say this as a neutral "spectator" only, not as a participant of any kind.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just to add to the conversation with a non-skiing analogy, you gotta know your audience.

When I am broadcasting on Golf Channel, I know I have a high golf IQ audience, but when I am on BBC, it is less of a golf specific audience so I have to speak in more layman's terms with regards to technique. On GC, I expect the audience to know technical terms, where as on BBC I explain everything more in detail in order to simplify things (hope that made sense)

On an open forum, I think you have to assume that you have a wide variety of skiing IQ's reading posts.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I doubt you know this first hand , you only subscribed to Epic short time before me and that means long time after all this had happened. I read some of the archived threads and they were a pretty amusing reading for the most part.Of course there was stuff that was coming again and again and this finally became kind of boring. But I say this as a neutral "spectator" only, not as a participant of any kind.
From someone who was a moderator and site manager during that time, I can confidently say, what you read isn't the whole story. There were several post deletions and edits that no one sees. It was a real mess.

Just to add to the conversation with a non-skiing analogy, you gotta know your audience.

When I am broadcasting on Golf Channel, I know I have a high golf IQ audience, but when I am on BBC, it is less of a golf specific audience so I have to speak in more layman's terms with regards to technique. On GC, I expect the audience to know technical terms, where as on BBC I explain everything more in detail in order to simplify things (hope that made sense)

On an open forum, I think you have to assume that you have a wide variety of skiing IQ's reading posts.
:toast or :rocks: or:beercheer:
Keep this in mind as well. When you're answering a post, you're not just talking to the people participating in the thread. You're also posting for those 1000's of people doing a search and lurking.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
:toast or :rocks: or:beercheer:
Keep this in mind as well. When you're answering a post, you're not just talking to the people participating in the thread. You're also posting for those 1000's of people doing a search and lurking.
This is really great advice. Honestly, some forums (not this one) have members who seem to think that everyone knows as much as they do and, if they don't, they don't belong there. If we all knew everything we wouldn't NEED forums like this one!

Status
Not open for further replies.