• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Now that Epicski is closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
As some have already stated, it is the people who make things great, worthwhile etc.. Epic to me was a 4 day clinic at Big Sky with some great people and exceptionally good skiing. Fernie where Ted and I meet Newfydog and he showed us the mountain, Whitefish where Sibhusky me with Ted and I and showed us the mountain. Skiing with Volant, Slider, TC and others. Never really got involved in the Epic squabbles etc. but have cherished the answer Bob Barnes gaves me on skiing powder, Squattys tips for skiing powder and many others some that I have met, some I have skied with and many more that I will never meet. My memories are good and my experience with Pugski I am sure will only be limited by my advancing years and reluctance to do a lot of travelling. Epic - RIP. Pugski :yeah:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Pete in Idaho we will ski together again!
Cheers to more years of skiing with friends.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Yeah not really. That was one of the things on epic that happened with a certain ski teaching group. There's ways to constantly divert threads and annoy people without insulting. There's nothing in Jacque's videos that is insulting but posting them in multiple threads constantly has been deemed spamming by more than one user. So things aren't quite so simple.

I didn't mind the deal about not posting a video as a response several times when the same questions would be asked in multiple threads, but what I do object to is being told I can't post any of my long tuning, waxing videos period. I thought now that Epic is gone I could post some of my videos in a thread I would create. Then when the question came up again, I might direct the questioner to the thread I created. This way I would not post any of my tuning waxing videos multiple times and that's would be fine with me. I know some don't like my long videos of ski tuning waxing etc., but there is another group of folks that have found them quite informative. They can be fun to have a beer or whatever with some friends and watch one or two. In my videos the learning is in the talk and that never stops in my videos.
In my videos I never say my ways are the ONLY ways and have always been open to discussion about the contents of them.
My hope is that maybe the folks in charge here can come to a happy medium with me. After all when one goes to a ski tuning clinic they expect more than a 2 minute talk and demonstration. Take care all,

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I didn't mind the deal about not posting a video as a response several times when the same questions would be asked in multiple threads, but what I do object to is being told I can't post any of my long tuning, waxing videos period. I thought now that Epic is gone I could post some of my videos in a thread I would create. Then when the question came up again, I might direct the questioner to the thread I created. This way I would not post any of my tuning waxing videos multiple times and that's would be fine with me. I know some don't like my long videos of ski tuning waxing etc., but there is another group of folks that have found them quite informative. They can be fun to have a beer or whatever with some friends and watch one or two. In my videos the learning is in the talk and that never stops in my videos.
In my videos I never say my ways are the ONLY ways and have always been open to discussion about the contents of them.
My hope is that maybe the folks in charge here can come to a happy medium with me. After all when one goes to a ski tuning clinic they expect more than a 2 minute talk and demonstration. Take care all,

Post links to the videos and then people can click on them

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Post links to the videos and then people can click on them

As they are hosted on YouTube or other sites, I don't think that's the issue (embedding the video vs. clicking). All that changes is whether they are viewable without leaving the site.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Folks who WANT the information can follow a link. There is no need to embed a video.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm a bit confused by the difference folks see between embedding a video and posting a link. The storage is exactly the same, the need to click is the same.

The only difference is whether or not you see the box and initial image of the video itself. Does that actually matter?

Jacques

Skier
Folks who WANT the information can follow a link. There is no need to embed a video.

The only real difference is with an embedded link one sees the thumbnail, then if they click it they can watch without another tab opening.
Also some folks are leery of clicking on a link. If the link was from another post on this site, they might not be as leery.
So seeing the thumbnail makes one feel safer and can also help one decide if they want to "click" or not.
Really content drives a site. What is more interesting below? They are both the same thing. Good content and media get more people interested in a site and thus more inclined to visit or register for an account. Advertisers pay for traffic. Nothing interesting = boring= site fail.

Okay, I tried to post just the link and it keeps coming up as an embed. Must be the program sees it as a video and just takes care of it. Someone else, please try to post a link to a YouTube video with just the link.

This: Or this:

Jacques

Skier
I'm a bit confused by the difference folks see between embedding a video and posting a link. The storage is exactly the same, the need to click is the same.

The only difference is whether or not you see the box and initial image of the video itself. Does that actually matter?

Well if it's a link, you leave the site for another tab or maybe even close the site. The site wants one to stay around. Here, I will try to post the link again and this time not use the link option from the menu.
Either way I still get an embed. Anyone else care to try to put up a YouTube link with just the link.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hmm... I can't seem to. Maybe you'd have to get at the actually code to do it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well if it's a link, you leave the site for another tab or maybe even close the site. The site wants one to stay around. Here, I will try to post the link again and this time not use the link option from the menu.
Either way I still get an embed. Anyone else care to try to put up a YouTube link with just the link.

Spin To Win..The Video.

Like that.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Now how'd you do it? HTML tags? Or am I not seeing one of the options in the tool bar somewhere?

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Philpug Obviously you want content and need storage capacity for that. But how expensive is the storage or does a lot of storage slow down the site? There may be other factors as well to make you prefer to have links rather than embedded video.

I struggled to add photos until you posted a tutorial (or you changed things?). Once I figured out the best process from the tutorial, adding photos was easy. Perhaps a tutorial on the best way to do links might help video issues. In a separate thread so it's easy to find.

Gmail and AOL mail wouldn't send a video I was sharing with a friend. The Gmail tutorial made it easy to save and link to the video. So I used Gmail instead of AOL.

Eric

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Now how'd you do it? HTML tags? Or am I not seeing one of the options in the tool bar somewhere?
Link button with the URL over whatever you want it to say.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Philpug Obviously you want content and need storage capacity for that. But how expensive is the storage or does a lot of storage slow down the site? There may be other factors as well to make you prefer to have links rather than embedded video.

That doesn't matter... the "embedded" video doesn't actually exist on the PugSki site. It's still stored elsewhere. Embedding simply links to it differently and allows it to be played right within the existing site without going elsewhere.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe I'm a bit dense , but I don't understand the advantage of a link with no thumbnail. Is there a difference that warrants losing the sneak peek?

Jacques

Skier
Okay, let me try that. See Jacques spinning to win.

Okay that worked, yet lacks luster! ogwink

Please keep in mind this is a test. Had this been an actual multiple post it would have been preceded with a beeping sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.