Now that Epicski is closed

Discussion in 'Community Announcements' started by David Chaus, May 12, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdf

mdf back to being an ordinary Gatheree Skier

Yeah, mine needs an upgrade.
    20170515_202158.jpg

jimmy likes this.
  2. crgildart

crgildart Gravity Slave Skier

Dang, but what about all the signatures and positive vibes the other banner has? Maybe they could print on the other side of the same banner??

3. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister--Utah Skier

Oh, I'd like to keep the current one going for nostalgia and consistencies sake... using the other side is a good idea! :thumb: I think I could probably get another printed and find a way to affix them back to back myself... I'll have to give that some thought heading into next season.

Mendieta and crgildart like this.
  4. DonC

DonC Squeezing into my stabilyx tights Skier

Absolutely! take some pics and add them to the retro memories thread...I mean the "Gear Heritage, Museum, Retro and "All Things..." forum and start an Epic paraphernalia thread!

Tricia, SBrown, SkiNurse and 2 others like this.
  5. Don in Morrison

Don in Morrison Morrison Claystone Skier

Meanwhile, the thing that now occupies the former forum looks a lot like a short-term placeholder.

6. DanoT

DanoT Getting off the lift Skier

Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
    Vail Resorts/Mtn News...they are who we thought they were.

Philpug and SKI-3PO like this.
  7. Fishbowl

Fishbowl One Of the Tailies Skier

........and we let them off the hook.

Philpug and SKI-3PO like this.
  8. markojp

markojp mtn rep for the gear on my feet Instructor Industry Insider

There was a choice?

Sibhusky, Muleski and ScotsSkier like this.
  9. Philpug

Philpug Gathermeister--Utah Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Fishbowl, crgildart and markojp like this.
  10. TonyC

TonyC Putting on skis Skier

DanoT is Canadian, so I don't know if his post was a deliberate allusion to the famous Dennis Green rant, but like Phil, that's what I thought about immediately when I read it.

When the split and launch of Pugski happened in fall 2015, I can't say that I was thrilled. I spend way too much time on ski forums, and in the online world there's network synergy with size, so I view fragmentation as a negative. I registered here in Dec. 2015, but in my bailiwick of the ski world (resorts, conditions and travel), Epic remained far more active than Pugski and thus I spent far more time there.

I found it interesting how little rivalry there seemed to be between the sites. Gatherings were cross promoted and reported upon and many people were active in both forums.

With April 25 announcement naturally the recrimination there and some gloating here came out by those who strongly preferred one forum or the other. I had never read the 20+ page Epic thread when Phil and Trish were let go there, but when I read it two weeks ago I was certainly impressed by the outpouring of support they received. They were practically drafted to launch this site.

I am a firm believer in "Ski Talk at a Higher Level." The First Tracks Forum prided itself on having the highest "Signal to Noise Ratio" during its heyday in the 2000's. That's why most of my activity was there, and my TR's still are. FTO had a very light level of moderation. It was mostly self-policed by active members, but much more civilly than on TGR. I no longer hold up FTO as a forum model because its active user base has dwindled over the last 3-4 years. The lead administrator(s) do have to nurture a forum site, and there 's no question that's an area where Phil and Trish put in a lot of effort.

Last edited: May 17, 2017
    skibob, Sibhusky and Philpug like this.
  11. Bogatyr

Bogatyr Booting up Skier

Random quote : '' Speaking only for myself and IMHO, on Epic it was, and the problematic lack of judicious moderation there won't be missed. '' ( end of quote).

12. crgildart

As long as no one is insulting anyone else, or insulting groups that other members may belong to, there is practically ZERO need for moderation in any forum.

Snowfan likes this.
  13. dbostedo

Agreed - sort of; There are other reasons for moderation and it gets much more complicated.

You might also be surprised what some people consider, or read as, an insult. And that moderators sometimes disagree too.

Josh Matta and Philpug like this.
  14. James

James Out on the slopes Instructor

Yeah not really. That was one of the things on epic that happened with a certain ski teaching group. There's ways to constantly divert threads and annoy people without insulting. There's nothing in Jacque's videos that is insulting but posting them in multiple threads constantly has been deemed spamming by more than one user. So things aren't quite so simple.

bbinder, Mike Rogers, Jacques and 6 others like this.
  15. dbostedo

That's a pretty good example, because you're likely to have folks think that's no big deal and should be left alone, and folks that get really annoyed by it and complain. I don't know what the numbers on both sides are, but I know I've heard both sides. And both sides get upset when moderators don't behave in the way they prefer.

As with most things in life (and skiing!) it's a balancing act.

DanoT and Philpug like this.
  16. crgildart

Ya, the forums I've moderated on have predisposed controls that prevent new people from posting images or videos for a month and a certain number of posts reached, If a veteran member does that repeatedly after being warned to chill with them they're gone, simple as that. Doing so after being warned is insulting the moderators so I would still say my cookie cutter mold fits to the point that the moderators can agree on what is suitable content,

17. Monique

Monique bounceswoosh Skier

They say kids and dogs do best with consistent rules, consistently enforced. I suppose the same is true for forum posters.

18. Bogatyr

Bogatyr Booting up Skier

It wasn't TGR you've moderated ,that's for sure..ogsmile

19. crgildart

TGR has moderators??

20. Monique

Monique bounceswoosh Skier

It actually does. It's just they don't actually do anything (that I can tell) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.