• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Northstar Snowboard Incident.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
I think it's kind of weird that no one has mentioned this:

One eyewitness to the incident stated Mrs. Danelle Muresan-Foster was the party who was physically aggressive toward another guest. The eyewitness stated that Mrs. Muresan-Foster collided into the male guest in the lift maze from behind; she fell to the ground; and, he tried to help her up.

It sounds like the whole thing might have started accidentally? Sounds like she ran into him in the lift maze (dumb, but probably an accident), and then who knows where it went from there. It's also weird to me that Northstar characterizes an accidental collision as being "physically aggressive"... it makes sense in the context of where the incident went, but I doubt that's how they characterize most collisions that happen on the mountain.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

One eyewitness to the incident stated Mrs. Danelle Muresan-Foster was the party who was physically aggressive toward another guest. The eyewitness stated that Mrs. Muresan-Foster collided into the male guest in the lift maze from behind; she fell to the ground; and, he tried to help her up.

It sounds like the whole thing might have started accidentally? Sounds like she ran into him in the lift maze (dumb, but probably an accident), and then who knows where it went from there. It's also weird to me that Northstar characterizes an accidental collision as being "physically aggressive"... it makes sense in the context of where the incident went, but I doubt that's how they characterize most collisions that happen on the mountain.

My interpretation is that they consider the physical aggression the part where she slapped the guy - which I think was corroborated by witnesses.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

I think it's referring to the next sentence: "The same eyewitness also stated that Mrs. Muresan-Foster initiated the physical altercation by slapping the other guest."

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I will say Northstar is very VERY pro guest, I have seen them go way above and beyond greasing squeaky wheels and knowing that, this woman must have been a handful to deal with. I am confident that the other snowboarder was not an employee because he woudl have been terminated for just being involved. I am sure this escolated faster than the $9.50 an hour lifties could get someone to the scene.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I am sure this escolated faster than the $9.50 an hour lifties could get someone to the scene.

Agreed, but the N* statements seem to suggest they had people there on the scene to resolve it immediately.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
Yeah, I get that she slapped him, I guess my point was that the framing offered by that sentence makes the whole thing make a lot more sense.

She accidentally body checks him in the lift line. Maybe she's embarrassed, maybe she got the wind knocked out of her a little, maybe he's a huge guy and comes at her weird while trying to help, etc etc etc. I just super confused by the whole incident until I read that sentence, and then it seemed a lot more understandable to me; it doesn't take much for things to escalate when there's already been physical contact and one involved party is embarrassed / confused.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I get that she slapped him, I guess my point was that the framing offered by that sentence makes the whole thing make a lot more sense.

She accidentally body checks him in the lift line. Maybe she's embarrassed, maybe she got the wind knocked out of her a little, maybe he's a huge guy and comes at her weird while trying to help, etc etc etc. I just super confused by the whole incident until I read that sentence, and then it seemed a lot more understandable to me; it doesn't take much for things to escalate when there's already been physical contact and one involved party is embarrassed / confused.

If you "accidently" plow into me in the lift line (or at the cooler) during Mother's Day, I'm giving you a wet willy. You've been warned.

GettingThere

Booting up
Skier
I will say Northstar is very VERY pro guest, I have seen them go way above and beyond greasing squeaky wheels and knowing that, this woman must have been a handful to deal with. I am confident that the other snowboarder was not an employee because he woudl have been terminated for just being involved. I am sure this escolated faster than the $9.50 an hour lifties could get someone to the scene.

couldn't agree more (having skied there several years)

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor

Maybe it's more like something happened at the half pipe. Whatever, I don't know who was right or wrong. She's pissed and chases after him down to the lift maze and then crashes into him. That's different from "oopsie, I crashed into you".

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skiing is the only sport where this kind of crap makes the news. Why are we so pretentious and lame? If some dude slapped a lady at a baseball game he would go to jail and we wouldn't even hear about it. Stupid lady, stupid blog, stupid lifty, stupid guy and no need to mention but VR... ffs VR.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Maybe it's more like something happened at the half pipe. Whatever, I don't know who was right or wrong. She's pissed and chases after him down to the lift maze and then crashes into him. That's different from "oopsie, I crashed into you".
Sounded to me like they were stopped in a bad spot, boarder dude buzzed them and said something.. crazy dance mom chased him to the corral. Saw something along those lines in one of the blogs posted by someone claiming to have been there.. If the kid is really sponsored and she's been his park chaperone they would have known better than stopping in the pipe or a LZ or whatever though so something doesn't add up there either..

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This incident has drawn 91 posts on here, 26 on Epic, and 3 on Ski Diva. Don't know what that indicates, if anything, but I find it interesting.
This may further fuel your interest: 149 posts on TGR.

I couldn't begin to count the posts on reddit.

Jeff N

I'm an anachronism
Skier
So... Anyone want to venture a guess why this went almost a full month before she went public?

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Without the incriminating video, drunk doctor can make the exact same claims as getting assaulted as Mama bear does in the northstar case.

NOT Saying this is what happened here. But the black and white ultimatum doesn't ring true to me.

I guess end of the day, this means we're going to have to go around with our gopros on 24/7 like russian dashcams so someone with a blog doesn't end your life

Once again, everything we learned in kindergarten holds true: keep your hands and fee to yourself!

Just a reminder of the tone for which we pride ourselves here at Pugski.com.
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/terms-of-service.78/

Politics, Religion, and Hot Topics
This is a community for talking about skis, skiing, and everything related to skis and skiing. Discussion about subjects such as global warming as it relates to skiing will be allowed so long as it remains respectful and healthy; however, general discussion about politics, religion, and hot topics will not be allowed. We reserve the right to define these categories.

Fair enough in a privately held business. Northstar, as a private business, has the right to "refuse service" and to define the terms of that refusal.

According to Beth Howard's statement, there is no conclusion that the male in question physically hit the woman, and that he actually attempted to assist her in getting up after she collided into him in the lift maze.
He did, however, verbally abuse her, which is not cool!

See quote from statement here:
On February 25th, at approximately 1:50 p.m., Northstar Ski Patrol was immediately alerted to an altercation at the Vista Lift Maze. Ski Patrol, Security and Mountain Safety promptly responded to the incident and completed an investigation. One eyewitness to the incident stated Mrs. Danelle Muresan-Foster was the party who was physically aggressive toward another guest. The eyewitness stated that Mrs. Muresan-Foster collided into the male guest in the lift maze from behind; she fell to the ground; and, he tried to help her up. The same eyewitness also stated that Mrs. Muresan-Foster initiated the physical altercation by slapping the other guest. Mrs. Muresan-Foster admitted to the security officer who responded to the scene, a former Sheriff’s officer, that she slapped the other guest. No witness beyond Mrs. Muresan-Foster reported any physical violence toward her. The investigation also found that the other guest engaged in inappropriate behavior with abusive language. Our security officer repeatedly offered at the time of the incident to contact the local authorities for Mrs. Muresan-Foster, however she repeatedly refused. After concluding our investigation, Northstar restricted the skiing/riding privileges of both guests.

It's the reason we suspend both kids in a "fight" in middle school. Words do start a fight and it usually isn't as simple as "who swung first." For the record ... there are definitely exceptions. Again ... kindergarten ... use kind words, take turns, share!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
From the Sierra Sun:
UPDATE 1:55 p.m. THURSDAY:

Marcie Bradley, Senior Communications Manager for Northstar, issued the following statement via email to the Sun at 1:50 p.m. Thursday: “At Northstar, the safety of our guests and employees is our top priority. We have zero tolerance for acts of violence by anyone at our resorts and, in the rare event that a criminal incident does occur, we strongly encourage law enforcement involvement and cooperation. In this situation, the findings of our investigation do not support the claims of Mrs. Muresan-Foster and we are working with law enforcement regarding this matter.”

--------

TRUCKEE, Calif. — Lake Tahoe-area law enforcement officials are investigating an alleged assault incident — which was detailed in a vulgarity-filled, one-sided blog post that went viral Wednesday — that reportedly occurred a month ago at Northstar California Resort.

On Wednesday, March 23, Danelle Muresan Foster, an Iowa resident, published her account of the alleged incident that she says occurred the afternoon of Feb. 25 at the Vail Resorts-owned ski area.

Her blog post at shredmom.com/blog details an apparent harrowing incident involving a snowboarder at Northstar punching her in the face after she approached him.

“We have detectives up there right now (at Northstar California) looking for witnesses; this is an open investigation at this time,” Sgt. Dave Hunt of the Placer County Sheriff’s Office said at about noon Thursday. “We’re investigating it as a misdemeanor assault crime … she apparently slapped him, and he then punched her in the face.”

FROM OUR PARTNERS: AMERICAN CRIME ROUNDUP FOR JULY 26
According to Foster’s blog post, the unnamed snowboarder — whom she describes as a male in his ‘20s — nearly ran into her 9-year-old son as he was dropping into Northstar’s halfpipe and then yelled at him to get out of the way as he rode past.

Foster said she approached the man afterward about the encounter, and at that point he “threatened me and grabbed me,” she said in a Thursday phone interview.

“He was assaulting me first, by threatening me and grabbing me. I told him three times to get off me. It was pretty serious, and I was pretty terrified,” Foster said.

Her blog post goes into greater detail, alleging that the man said the following (the curse words have been edited by the Sun): “What are you gonna do b---h, f---ing cry about it? You can’t even f---ing ride, b---h. You know who you’re f---ing with?! I’ll have you kicked out! You don’t know who you’ve f---ed with now! You’re f---ing dead! Are you gonna cry, little girl? Go f---ing cry cause you’re f---ing dead!”

On Thursday, while reading from the incident report filed Feb. 25 with PCSO, department spokeswoman Dena Erwin said in a phone interview with the Sun that the suspect allegedly “yelled at her and bumped her with his chest. She said she tried to get away, he followed her, yelling at her … she then turned around and slapped him in the face, and the man then punched her in the left eye.”

Hunt on Thursday said the department didn’t do much follow-up beyond Feb. 25, considering Foster “didn’t mention anything to the deputy that somebody saw it, that there were any witnesses … and that she didn’t mention a suspect.”

“Her account (published Wednesday) has that information, that’s what we were looking for … so now we’re going back to look for the witnesses,” he said.

Foster’s blog post goes on to accuse Northstar and Vail Resorts for trying to cover up the incident.

Several voicemails and emails Wednesday and Thursday seeking comment from officials at both Northstar California and Vail Resorts for this story were not returned until 1:50 p.m. Thursday.

Resort GM Beth Howard, in an open letter to the community, defended Northstar’s actions during and after the alleged incident, saying that Foster was the one who was physically aggressive, and that she “collided into the male guest in the lift maze from behind; she fell to the ground; and, he tried to help her up.”

“The investigation also found that the other guest engaged in inappropriate behavior with abusive language,” Howard wrote. “Our security officer repeatedly offered at the time of the incident to contact the local authorities for (Foster), however she repeatedly refused.”

On her blog, Foster describes herself as “a snowboarding instructor, college soccer referee, writer, photographer, and stay-at-home mother of four.”

During Thursday’s phone interview, she said she’s been overwhelmed since the blog post became viral on Wednesday — both with positive support from Tahoe residents and many around the country, and negative feedback from other people who aren’t believing her story.

“I’m now getting threats from people who claim to be friends of the people who were there (on Feb. 25) … saying that I need to stay out of Tahoe,” she said. “Somebody told me I need a bodyguard. I’m very scared. This is a terrifying ordeal.”

When asked Thursday why she waited almost a month to publish details regarding the incident via her blog, she said was told that “there’s a small group of troublemakers” in the snowboard community at Northstar that constantly cause trouble for the sheriff’s office, and that “the resort doesn’t want the police there checking it out.”

“I’ve been calling the resort, I’ve been emailing back and forth with them … because I was trying to resolve the situation with the resort,” she added. “I am not an attention seeker. If you look at my blog … there is no advertising. I’m not looking for advertising, I have no desire being the center of a big media thing.”

As of Thursday afternoon, Foster’s post on her blog’s Facebook page, facebook.com/ShredMom,had been shared more than 1,600 times.

The Sierra Sun is committed to updating this story if or when more information becomes available.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So... Anyone want to venture a guess why this went almost a full month before she went public?
Thats a fair question and really does begged to be asked and deserves an answer.

With this going public, at some point will Northstar have to give up John Doe's identity to the police? They pulled his access, therefore they do have the name.

Sponsor