• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I almost called this Growing Pains, but thats not really what this is about.

So, here it is, I haven't had any major crashes that have injured my body,(other than the bike crash with broken ribs 6 years ago) but I've had a few tweaky things happen, like a double eject in a powder pile with a little extra streaaaaaach of my calf muscle. I've also extended my arm a bit too much during a "save" and feel an extra pain in my elbow.
I'm finding a twinge in my knee from time to time and my hip aches, (which I relate to the LLD and lack of lift in many of my shoes)

Is this all a compilation of aging and stuff you just have to deal with, or is there a way to eliminate these aging pains? :huh:

I can only imagine how much the young guns who've had serious injuries are going to be feeling it when they're my age, considering that I haven't really beaten my body up like they have.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier
Both knees hurt climbing stairs sometimes and doing squats (I wear knee sleeves now), my left shoulder is perpetually crunchy, dealing with some kind of tendinitis (tennis elbow?) in my forearm, I've got an implant in my right big toe that hurts most of the time. Good news is they don't really bother me skiing or at least I don't notice it too much ...

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Tough it out
20160206_iphone_1200.JPG

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is this all a compilation of aging and stuff you just have to deal with,

Pretty much, IME. It gets so that you don't notice as much.

or is there a way to eliminate these aging pains? :huh:

NSAIDs? Time also helps, you get used to stuff. I have a partially separated AC (achromial-clavicular) joint in my shoulder from last year. It bummed me out and was pretty uncomfortable for a while, but I got used to it and don't notice it much now. Crunchy knees, degrading eyesight and hearing, smashed finger joints that won't heal back 100%... Aging takes a toll...wanna hear about my operation? ogwink

Last edited:

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I feel fine when I stop skiing for the day; a little tired, given that my body has just told me to knock it off, and it isn't going to like me if I go up for one more run. I feel pretty good when I get in the car to head home. The drive home is comfortable, but an hour and a half later, when I try to get out of the car to go in the house, I find that none of my joints will unfold to get out of the car.

The same thing happens on long road trips, when we stop for gas, etc., but not as bad as after a day of skiing.

I climb about six flights of stairs every day as part of my exercise routine. My knees are a little achey, but it doesn't stop me from doing it. My doc says I don't have arthritis. He says it's just normal wear and tear. I don't need any medication, because nothing hurts bad enough to warrant it. Mrs. Claystone has arthritis, and takes meds for her pain every day. That's part of the reason she doesn't ski any more.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Funny you bring this up. I injured my knee last spring (lcl strain, some minor lateral meniscus stuff) running gates... late morning, mushy snow... yeah, yeah... I should know better. Anyhow, this season has had a couple of odd tweaks.. Left side, tweaked a muscle at the iliac crest. Not spinal, just muscular. Happened while free skiing small bumps on a warm up run on a left footed fall away turn a few days ago, so I'm forced to take a short break. Good enough, getting other things done! The knee is still a little off but getting better. I'm skiing in a sleeve and brace. What changed? Age, to a degree, sure, but I think it goes back to change in the usual summer regiment. I spent much more time road cycling and less time in the gym. Need to hone that balance between the two a little better. I generally don't ski as fast in low visibility as I might have in the past and am more cognizant of injury because I don't heal as quickly and completely. At a certain age, we have to invest time and effort to keep the machine ticking.

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I started taking a fitness class at a local gym a few years back. We do lots of things, from balance work, to strength work (lifting, body weight exercises, etc.). The instructor is big on foam rolling, stretching, etc. I'd call it "cross fit like" except my instructor detests cross-fit classes, but it sounds like we do a lot of the same things.

I always thought I was fairly fit from spending my summers hiking and cycling, but I feel that the classes have taken things up another notch for sure. I feel like my "incidence rate" of the type of issues that @Tricia mentioned in her OP has decreased. I'm 46; I really do feel awesome these days.

I stretch out right after I get out of ski boots, foam roll when I get home, etc. Really seems to make a difference with the "next morning" skiing.

YMMV.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The joys of getting old. Sometimes stuff just hurts. Past injuries come back to haunt you, new injuries take forever to heal. There's a lot to be said for Motrin! or Aleve, whichever is your preferred medicine . Stretching and strength training helps, but the older you get the harder it is to build muscle. and then stretch those muscles out.
For skiing more than two days in a row, it is definitely a requirement for hot tub therapy, with liberal use of a whisky lubricants immediately following skiing

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Yeah, it's not just you. It REALLY makes you look back at all the stupid stuff you did as a kid that haunts you later. Broken bones, ligament tears, cartilage damage. I understand kids need to have fun..but..I'm really going to try to prevent stupid injuries if I can.

My hockey has changed so much these days. It's really more a skate now..exercise. Used to be about winning, puck battles, little bump and face-wash..not now. Advil..

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I almost called this Growing Pains, but thats not really what this is about.

So, here it is, I haven't had any major crashes that have injured my body,(other than the bike crash with broken ribs 6 years ago) but I've had a few tweaky things happen, like a double eject in a powder pile with a little extra streaaaaaach of my calf muscle. I've also extended my arm a bit too much during a "save" and feel an extra pain in my elbow.
I'm finding a twinge in my knee from time to time and my hip aches, (which I relate to the LLD and lack of lift in many of my shoes)

Is this all a compilation of aging and stuff you just have to deal with, or is there a way to eliminate these aging pains? :huh:

I can only imagine how much the young guns who've had serious injuries are going to be feeling it when they're my age, considering that I haven't really beaten my body up like they have.
OAS. Old Age Syndrome... More things just start hurting every year.... It sucks.

Actually I started doing Crossfit 3 years ago, and I'm finding that I've slowed or maybe reversed some of these aging pains. I have not beat up my body too bad over the years, but definitely have had my share of injuries. However, all the different Crossfit workouts have helped with my mobility, and overall strength tremendously. Knee pain gone, shoulder pain gone, back pain gone, I feel like I'm in my 20's again.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
OAS. Old Age Syndrome... More things just start hurting every year.... It sucks.

Actually I started doing Crossfit 3 years ago, and I'm finding that I've slowed or maybe reversed some of these aging pains. I have not beat up my body too bad over the years, but definitely have had my share of injuries. However, all the different Crossfit workouts have helped with my mobility, and overall strength tremendously. Knee pain gone, shoulder pain gone, back pain gone, I feel like I'm in my 20's again.

OH yeah, if it wasn't for "all bad, no bounce" classes I think I'd be hobbling and skiing the greens. And nothing wrong with the stationary bike.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a chronic case of being older than I used to be.

I notice that it impacts me more in the early season, once there is enough coverage to "go for it" on a powder day on the backside when I try to get some fresh snow and untracked lines before it gets all cut up. I'm simply not able to do that without taking a warm up run or two, but I found myself doing it anyway, and paid for it with some lower back pain and tired out legs. Once I'm warmed up, and in skiing shape, I'm good, give me the steeps, the bumps and the trees.

Other than limited range with my arms and shoulders (adhesive capsulitis) and the checking my insulin meter and pump throughout the day, I really can't complain. Except for cold hands.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My hips ,expecially left, are bothering me a bit, which is scary because there is a history of hip transplants in my immediate family.

Also, my legs don't much like crud, slush, moguls, etc.m anymore.

Will be 70 next month.

Sponsor

Staff online