• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Nice to Find

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I stumbled upon this looking for race gossip and I did! I like what I see as it doesn't seem to be so large it's confusing but there is enough critical mass to carry on good threads.

I'm a 57-year old skier near Rochester, New York. I prefer to ski at Holimont in Ellicotville but often hit Bristol as it is an hour closer. I also like Holiday Valley, Killington, Stowe, and I love Alta (although it's been years since I've hit it with powder). I'm thinking of driving up to Sugarloaf this Winter, please talk me out of it.

I'm a professional photographer, mostly I do my own art now but will do interesting assignments. I used to be in advertising, owned a small agency and worked as a creative director for some dot.coms.

These days I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and a catalog of older injuries that have curtailed my skiing somewhat (I stay out of the bumps and ruts). I'm now into a softer boot and cheater GS skis so I can fake it OK. My feet are the weak link, many spurs removed, structurally unsound, I was Miguel Azcarate's biggest boot fitting challenge.

My background is starting to ski at a rope tow hill in 1975, went nuts for it and tried to race in college (Clarkson), later became and instructor then race coach. Spent a year at Alta, Utah and two at Sugarloaf, Maine, plus two Summers at Timberline, Mt. Hood. Coached the University of Oregon. This all ended with a climbing accident that broke my lower body so I went back to college, got married, moved back East, etc. Three kids who are not serious skiers, two wives who never took to it. So I steal my pleasures where I can ;-p Went to the Mahre Masters Camp at Mt Hood last year and found I couldn't keep up with them... doh!

10-15 days per year, I can only ski 3-5 hours before my feet go to Hell. Better than not skiing, I am a confirmed duffer. Really, a NASTAR Silver would be an accomplishment.

Website is http://frankpetronio.com and it is NSFW and not for snowflakes. You were warned.

20160227_frankpetronio_skiing_0651.jpg

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome to the site, @Frankly. We have a few here from western NY, in fact my son went to RIT. Miguel is about as good as anyone and I am glad to hear he is taking care of you. I am glad to hear that you are a comfirmed duffer, we still have many here that are still unconfirmed that are working on their conformation credentials.

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
When did you coach at Mt Hood?

At Hood I was a ski bum who carried salt around and slept in my truck, sometimes I was a maid at the lodge... I learned to set courses and informally nagged at some unaffiliated racers in exchange for lift tickets. A couple of real coaches showed me stuff and encouraged me. Back then I kept a bundle of my own bamboo and carried it around the country. At Sugarloaf I got my level II coaches certificate and full PSIA cert and went back and forth between the ski school and race program (which took some politicking)1980-82, this was before the school opened and Forest Carey was an awesome rugrat who could out ski all of us at age 9.

Prior to that 79-80 at Alta I smoked a lot of weed and skied and got into awesome shape living at 9000'. In hindsight I probably should have just stayed there and not spent my Winters on blue ice that was ocean damp even when it never got above zero for 45 days... but I thought doing time at a hard Eastern area was important if one was to have a career in the ski industry but I was a dumb kid. All I know is that in spite of partying at Alta I was in the best shape of my life from all the hiking and wiggling in deep snow.

I don't think people do this career path anymore, you probably have to get a masters in kinesiology and know four languages to be a real ski coach these days.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You're probably right about the career path. I don't think it works the way you went anymore. Nice works on your website.

TS
Frankly

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
So did you know Brownie and Razor at Sugarloaf?

Absolutely. I saw Razor at Stowe a few years ago. Geez Art and Cindy, etc. Sugarloaf was always interesting and full of drama.

I remember I was 21 years old and the bastards made me the Safety Officer for a FIS downhill they held. I thought that was impressive but now in hindsight I realize that they hung that on me because if somebody died I'd be the first person sued. Every hit a frozen haybale at 70mph?

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Glad you found us. Something tells me, you're going to fit in juuuuust right.