• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Skier Gear Recs?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well, I appear to be a gear advisor this year. A dear friend of mine just went skiing for the first time. She's been meaning to do it for years but just hasn't. Now that her kids are old enough to learn she feels like she should as well. How did I find out? Well, another friend of ours who just received a full set up of boots, skis, poles, helmet and goggles (she has skied before but hasn't in several years) from me told me she lent them to her (minus the skis since those were still at the shop getting tuned). Um, well, I guess that concerns me some since the boots are on the stiff side. I did tell the friend not to lend her the skis right now as I need to back down the DIN.

Anyhow, brand new skier bought a pass to Eldora after her first day. :yahoo:

Now she wants recommendations on skis for her to purchase. She is approximately 5'6", lean, athletic. Definitely hoping to pick up on sale/used/demo gear. Of course I'll be sending her to get a boot fitting.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
What's available locally in manufacturer's. I would suggest something in 75-80mm waist width for a beginner. More stable on the groomers.

How about Salomon Luan or Cira, Rossi Famous 2 or 6. The only ones I really know about. Or what about a seasonal rental package for the rest of the year.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Demo? She is a brand new skier with one day under her belt. What will she learn? :huh:

There are some real nice entry level skis she can get. It is great that she is athletic and I am sure she will pick it up quickly. Start with a softer flexing that that will bend easy no more that nose height.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BOOTS. BOOTS BOOTS BOOTS.

(and then get some poles, and demo skis from friends or whatever)

:)

You saw that I said I'll be sending her to get a boot fitting right? ;)

Demo? She is a brand new skier with one day under her belt. What will she learn? :huh:

There are some real nice entry level skis she can get. It is great that she is athletic and I am sure she will pick it up quickly. Start with a softer flexing that that will bend easy no more that nose height.

Sorry, I meant purchase used demos, not actually demo skis to make a decision. I agree that she won't know enough about skis to learn anything.

The problem with getting something from a friend is I don't have any other friends with skis that would work for her.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Seasonal rentals are best for beginners who get out frequently. Most shops will let the customer trade up as their skills improve. Heck, the El Dora shop might offer seasonal rentals, but if not many places do that for beginner and intermediate gear. They'll even keep it tuned and waxed for the customers

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You saw that I said I'll be sending her to get a boot fitting right? ;)

Sorry, I meant purchase used demos, not actually demo skis to make a decision. I agree that she won't know enough about skis to learn anything.

The problem with getting something from a friend is I don't have any other friends with skis that would work for her.
The demo point was actually meant for Jed.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Surely there must be other type of stores like Replay sports in Aspen, https://www.facebook.com/replaysportsaspen/?fref=ts

Well, yes, there are places that sell used gear here. That wasn't really the question though. I'm not just going to send her into used gear store and and say pick something out. Doing that she might end up with a ski way over her head, both literally and figuratively. Or she could end up with something like my other friend who just replaced her junior park ski that she picked up when she was a beginner because she got bad advice from Random Shop Dude.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
All will agree that the boot and a safe binding are the most important. If your friend feels that they have to purchase a new ski they should find a "Package" type ski for the entry level. Some of the Big Box Sports Stores should be able fill the need at a good price.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

Yes. As someone who was a never-ever two years ago: light and forgiving, but not too narrow or short: both make it harder to be stable and handle less than perfectly groomed runs as a newbie. Of course, not above her nose, but since she is buying, you don't want something to her chest that will make her trip once she's able to catch any speed on irregular snow.

I love EVO's search engine: select Ski's -> Women -> With Bindings -> Beginner/Intermediate. Then you ask here for crowd sourcing wisdom.

These look tempting at $300. She would have to pay a shop to mount them. I would go for the 155
http://www.evo.com/outlet/ski-packa...ngs-womens.aspx#image=106523/444816/clone.jpg

These are 75mm, which is as narrow as I would go. I think this could be ok for her weight and height, in terms of float and stability. This is CO, right, so she'll have plenty soft snow.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All will agree that the boot and a safe binding are the most important. If your friend feels that they have to purchase a new ski they should find a "Package" type ski for the entry level. Some of the Big Box Sports Stores should be able fill the need at a good price.

Not just at big stores. Our independent ski shop had a 299 adult packeage( skis, bindings and boots). Substitute some higher end boot and you are set for a year, or even two if she doesn’t get out and progress as fast.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So how did it end up going for your friend?

I missed this question but just came looking for this thread to do an update. She and I have skied together a few times this season and she is loving it. I got a text a few minutes ago that said “I know you just got home (from the Gathering) but when can we go skiing again?” Oh, how my heart sings to know she’s enjoying it enough to reach out for more days. I think she’s skied near 10 days this season! I still need to get her into better boots but hopefully with spring sales coming she’ll do that soon.

Sponsor

Staff online