• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Skier - DO's

Idahosnow

Putting on skis
Skier
Make sure your car keys are in a zipped pocket. Better yet, clipped in a pocket if your jacket has that feature.

Neck gaiters (I like the thin Buff type) are versatile and make life better.

If your extremities are cold, make sure you are wearing enough to keep your core warm.

It's better to go home early if your legs are jello than to go home injured.

colospgmike

Putting on skis
Skier
Sunscreen is a very good idea. Higher elevation on a white surface can leave you medium well done.

When you get scared, slow down; it gives you more time to react.

When you get tired, stop.

Smile, we do this for fun.

When tired stop-best advice I ever got from an instructor. "make your last run of the day your first run in the morning"

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
When you fall (everybody falls), give yourself a moment before you try to get up. Don't rush and feel like you have to jump up. Collect yourself first. (Exception: if you fell in a spot that can't be seen from above.)

Ah, that one: Don't stop where you can't be seen from above. Also realize that people may be coming from directions that don't even look possible to you.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Make sure your car keys are in a zipped pocket. Better yet, clipped in a pocket if your jacket has that feature.

Yes, do this. Don't hide them in a 12 pack of soda and forget that you did this. Then after you are home for a week find them in soda pack, after you had a locksmith make a new one at the hill. ;)

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
When you fall (everybody falls), give yourself a moment before you try to get up. Don't rush and feel like you have to jump up. Collect yourself first. (Exception: if you fell in a spot that can't be seen from above.)
Nonononono :) If you fall where everyone can see you, get yourself up as fast as possible like it's no big deal, and you basically fall on purpose and for fun... you will hurt later on behind the corner where noone will see you. If you fall where noone can see you, then it's fine to lay a bit and feel sorry for yourself and your aching body :roflmao:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Nonononono :) If you fall where everyone can see you, get yourself up as fast as possible like it's no big deal, and you basically fall on purpose and for fun... you will hurt later on behind the corner where noone will see you. If you fall where noone can see you, then it's fine to lay a bit and feel sorry for yourself and your aching body :roflmao:

Right, absolutely - because everyone will totally believe you!

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
Work on your chairlift rap before you get to the mountain to make yourself more entertaining. Being a Floridian in Montana for instance will allow you to monopolize the conversation because everyone will want to know WTF you are doing there. Throw some variables in there because you will find that you repeat yourself. Kinda like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day except it's every 20 minutes.

"Dude, were you here last Sunday? It was EPIC, nothing like Florida"

"Huh?"

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Looking back I wished I had invested in better fitting and performing boots much earlier. They are essential for enjoying the day on the hill no matter what level of skier you are.

TS
Pete in Idaho

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sunday at Lookout Pass Idaho I saw a Gaper wtih her helmet on backwards. It was a weekend so not too many people noticed but we did and when I looked at her "something was wrong" and upon closer examination I realized her helmet was on backwards. And that was Gaper funny. The only bad thing though was I didn't have my phone or camera with me. Ask questions of friends or others and don't wear your helmet backwards - you will draw unwanted attention to yourself.

TQA

Putting on skis
Skier
Do not cheap out on your ski gloves. Make sure they are reasonably waterproof and have good insulation. If you know that you are likely to have cold hands buy ski mitts. They are much warmer.

Go to the dollar store and buy three pairs of the stretchy one size fits all gloves. You know the ones that look like they fit a 10 year old. Carry two pairs when skiing. If your hands get cold put them on inside your ski gloves/mitts. If you see someone with cold hands give them your second pair, you may make a new friend.

On the morning of day 3 or maybe 4 when you wake up and your feet hurt and the bruise on hip has grown to the size of a dinner plate and you feel like turning over and going back to sleep take 400mg of Ibuprofen and GET UP. winners never quit, quitters never win. This is the day it will start to click and you WILL make it all the way down the bunny slope without falling.

Alex White

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Personally, I think that for newcomers the best thing they can do is to go to a smaller mountain and once you have the basics down of what to do and how to do it, skip the greens and go straight to the easiest blue (a more experienced skier can help identify those). The green runs are far too crowded, packed with people who don't know what they are doing and create unnecessary distractions. An easy blue run will have way less people and the people on them will know what they are doing a little more, allowing newcomers to focus on their own technique and skills. It will also get them going downhill and understand the concepts of going down the hill better. Just my two cents.

Disneynskiing

Booting up
Skier
DRINK LOTS OF WATER!!!!!!!!!

Chapstick, your lips with thank you.

If you are unsure about ANYTHING ask, someone will know

No matter how warm it is do not have bare skin showing, the snow will cut you when you fall if you do.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Do ask for navigational help when on mountain if you have any doubts about where you are going. People are usually very helpful and better to ask then wind up somewhere you don't want to be.
This is a great tip, but if you are skiing in a foreign country and do not speak the language it can be difficult.