• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New Guy from North Carolina

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Hi all you Pugski denizons.
Like many of the folks coming on board right now I also was a part of Epicski.(a small part). I joined them within the last year and of course just as I started getting involved in the community this little bump in the road hit.
A little about me.....I started skiing back in the mid 80's when I stopped in Aspen for a week visit and ended up staying for 3 years. At the time I worked nights in restaurants so basically I skied everyday and worked every night.
Moved back to FL after my welcome wore out there, got married, helped raise kids and did the anti-ski bum routine. Moved to NC in 89 where we actually have some skiing but since my wife takes out lift lines when she ski's I wasn't allowed to go very often.
About 6 years ago I'd had enough of being dictated to and told the wife "the hell with you I'm going to be a skier again". Well believe it or not she barely smacked my hand and then she sarcastically said. "FINE".
Well since that time I've gotten modern ski's , modern boots, and some old poles.
Now I'm on the Ski Patrol here at Wolfe Ridge Ski Area in Western NC and I'm having a ball, It's not big and not especially challenging but the final result of all this is that I get to slide down a hill with boards on my feet.
I'm looking forward to hanging out with ya"ll and I thank you in advance for all the free passes and couch surfing offers coming my way.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I ski Blowing Rock areas in NC and also have non skiing wife. I do have two teen kids who will spend an our or three trying to learn to ski better. One is a low intermediate and the other is a stronger intermediate. I have to take it easy when skiing with them but they are now finally old enough to ski on their own some while I hit steeper, faster, bumpier stuff here and there then reconnect with them. Wintergreen is equally accessible to me but Cattaloochee and Wolf are farther than I care to go for day trips and not exciting enough to justify overnighters. We did one weekend out there at Cattaloochee a few years ago when taking Mrs Crgildart to the Biltmore as part of the negotiations hahaha.

Welcome and regards!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If I had stayed east, Asheville is one of the towns/citys that was on my short list. The vibe is great and the mountain setting was awesome.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I lived in Raleigh/Durham area for a while, but never skied in NC. When we lived there, we used to fly to Austria to ski.

TS
Carolinacub

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
I ski Blowing Rock areas in NC and also have non skiing wife. I do have two teen kids who will spend an our or three trying to learn to ski better. One is a low intermediate and the other is a stronger intermediate. I have to take it easy when skiing with them but they are now finally old enough to ski on their own some while I hit steeper, faster, bumpier stuff here and there then reconnect with them. Wintergreen is equally accessible to me but Cattaloochee and Wolf are farther than I care to go for day trips and not exciting enough to justify overnighters. We did one weekend out there at Cattaloochee a few years ago when taking Mrs Crgildart to the Biltmore as part of the negotiations hahaha.

Welcome and regards!
We're more challenging than Cat and about the same size, I will say that they have sunk a bunch of money into infrastructure so the amenities and the snowmaking are pretty good. We on the other hand are a very old school, family oriented run on a shoestring operation. The owner has told me more than once that he'd take a blowtorch to the lift towers before he'd bring in alcohol. I did a guest patrol day up at Cat last year and to be honest I like the vibe at WR much better. If you want to come up let me know and I can help with passes.
Paul

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Welcome! I'm another one of the NC dwellers here. Unfortunately, we are just a bit north of Charlotte, so not particularly near the NC mountains. When I do day trips in NC, I usually go to Sugar ... it's a bit closer, there's a bit more vertical and the newer 6-pack lift makes it easier to get a good number of runs in. I'm always open to checking out new places, however!

AeroSKI5150

MikeChuckNorris
Skier
Hey @MattD and @Carolinacub ! Charlotte area here as well (Lake Norman aka I-77 hell), transplanted a couple years ago after 15 years in Boston and having grown up in Kansas City before that. Got hooked on skiing doing group driving expeditions to Steamboat, Winter Park, and Summit County generally. Then started going to Utah annually in the mid-90's and never looked back. Had joined Epic back in the early 2000's sometime and was fortunate to have made it to the 2012 Tahoe and 2013 Montana Gatherings, met some great people and even more amazing skiiers... Had planned this year's Whistler trip around the same, but was pushed back a week... looking forward to Utah once again next year!

As far as NC skiing goes, I have yet to partake but my other half has two youngsters who spend school holidays and summers with us, and we took 'em up to Beech over this past Xmas break to scope it out and do some tubing, seemed like both that and Sugar would provide "a fix" for a day trip if conditions were good. Will have to give it a try! Nice learning about Wolf and others, will have to make it a point to check them all out! I'm told Snowshoe can be decent as well, maybe more of an overnighter. [Then again from Boston, you get used to driving 3-5 hours one way to hit NH/VT/ME!]

Anyway, glad to meet more Carolinians!

Sponsor

Staff online