• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

New 30 m ski - an edge to?

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
They should still be legal Phil but anyone using them is putting themselves at a disadvantage because at that level sets will reflect the new equipment. And yes, there are going to be a LOT of 35m skis being dumped which are basically worthless now. Those worst impacted are those who were first year U19 Fis this year and had to be on the 35 m ski.

I have actually been playing about a lot on the 35 m Rossi and head recently and beeed to get some short tests posted...... since there will be some bargains in 35 m skis

I've a set of Redster 190 35M GS skis and I really enjoy skiing them. Very solid through the turn with great acceleration. They are however not at all suited to most NASTAR GS sets here on small Michigan hills unless it's a narrow parallel set spaced just right (which they never are for a 35) The 35 is just too big and if you aren't carrying speed they're not going to bend for you. A couple stivots to make gates and your speed is gone. There's not a lot of speed to be found at 20* and 300 vert. I've a pair of GS-11 181 21M that I run on the little NASTAR GS sets here and they eat it up.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
.......And for free skiing, very limited use as you seldom (at least here) have the opportunity to ski them safely. You pretty much need an empty piste.

I usually take mine out at night for the last couple hours of night skiing when there are only a handful of people still on the hill.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually take mine out at night for the last couple hours of night skiing when there are only a handful of people still on the hill.

ogsmile I dont really have that issue, quite happy skiing them any time since I usually spend most of my time on a GS ski. In fact been skiing them a lot over the last month even as the snow has got softer without any real issues. I do notice however that, compared to my 30m race skis you do have to really emphasize laying it into the tip of them.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ogsmile I dont really have that issue, quite happy skiing them any time since I usually spend most of my time on a GS ski. In fact been skiing them a lot over the last month even as the snow has got softer without any real issues. I do notice however that, compared to my 30m race skis you do have to really emphasize laying it into the tip of them.

I only do that because when I ski these I'm pushing as hard as I can. It's a small (tiny) place. So a nice clean hill is a good thing. During the day I'll Ski my radical SL or my pursuit hp but when I'm on the Redsters I'm pushing and on the steepest run here at the local hill a 35 takes up most of it so it's best if it's clean.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yup! that's pretty much where they are going! I expect to see most of them here being sold without bindings, ending up in the $50-100 range
Yep, we refer to these skis as "binding holders".

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
It is interested that the speed at which the technology (equipment) chasing technique and technique chasing technology is still increasing in skiing at this point. I would have thought it has run its course (no pun intended) in the last while considering how many changes have been made.

It is not that there are major changes technique wise, but more so adaptation to rapid refinement of technique as the technology is refine in response to the improvements.

IMHO some technique changes are stop gap improvements in the sense that they work but aren't really the best, this is confirmed by no real technology changes to play catch up. The technology changes only occur when a real improvement is made. Same applies in reverse. Best example of eveolution theory.

I'll be watching to see what those (respected) in the loop have to say in regards to the changes.

It has been technique chasing technology for a number of years now as the FIS changes the technology in the interest of 'saftey'. Until the FIS began making the rule changes every couple of years, the skiers and manufacturers were pretty much defining the technology.

I think the FIS equipment rules only specify minimum lengths and radii... I could be wrong, though.

Here is the source for what is FIS and what isn't. http://www.fis-ski.com/inside-fis/document-library/alpine-skiing/index.html#deeplink=rules

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

This link should take you to a GS training video LK Haugen posted. I think this helps supports @Primoz's point that "we might see better looking racing this year."

Agreed. There was video of TL on the new GS skis and it was similar to this. Much smoother transition arc to arc without the big movement/step we were seeing on the 35m skis. And also consistent with what we have seen with the women's 30m ski where it was also a much smoother switch. Looks like 30ish really is the sweet spot for modern GS

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Setup oldest with a good deal on a 30m for the upcoming FIS racing season and I like them too - they couldn't be more different from the 35ms... sweet, sweet ski! Way better than the 27m of old: I guess the 35m debacle did push technology forward!

For the WC - they all worked hard at mastering the 35m, I think they will all love the 30m - should be a great WC season, this!

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Setup oldest with a good deal on a 30m for the upcoming FIS racing season and I like them too - they couldn't be more different from the 35ms... sweet, sweet ski! Way better than the 27m of old: I guess the 35m debacle did push technology forward!

For the WC - they all worked hard at mastering the 35m, I think they will all love the 30m - should be a great WC season, this!

Absolutely correct Razie, glad to see you on board! I am glad my pioneering work to let people know how good the 30m skis are is bearing fruit!

Sponsor

Staff online