• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't try just one model in a manufacturer's line. I know that some Smith helmets fit me (like the one in my avatar) and others don't. Same with POC, Giro.

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
Has anybody tried the new Smith Quantum helmet. I have been wearing a a Smith Vantage for the last few years and looking to see how the fits compare.

Marcel

Booting up
Skier
Has anybody tried the new Smith Quantum helmet. I have been wearing a a Smith Vantage for the last few years and looking to see how the fits compare.

I just got a quantum, the fit is slightly roomier than vantage, but I'd say still fits pretty "smithish" so I wouldn't attempt to size up/down unless you are right at the edge of the size chart, the outershell is huge though. really big compared to vantage, I don't have measurements, but just by looking at the mirror it looks big. My smith i/o seems small with the quantum, the smith i/o7 is a perfect match and I'm guessing i/ox would fit pretty well as well. I got a white one and my friend told me a look like the speedracer.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Just got the Cynic x Pret Helmet. Pret was at SIA and getting a ton of people to try them out. I was impressed with them. For my shape skull, this fit well and has a adjustable fit wheel in the back. 2 features stood out: the ear pieces are designed for maximum hearing. Although not super warm for the ears, I could hear better that any other helmet ( and I can always just put a balaclava on). the other is that they work almost seamless with any goggle. The helmet also adapts very well for those who prefer to wear a hat or beanie beneath and no ear pieces. Another well-liked attribute is the color choices and materials used. They feel solid and have a great selection of colors. Available in MIPs too. http://www.prethelmets.com/index.ph...173a0252da8b53897932346acae11e163ce54eaf292c4

Last edited:

Michael Kane

Kano
Skier
I have been skiing in the Smith Quantum all season and think it is just about perfect. Good fit and goes well with all of my goggles (Smith IO7, Oakley Flight Deck, Oakley Airbrake XL and POC Fovea). In fact I think the combination of the Quantum and Flight Deck is spot on, even better than the Smith's. I cannot say enough good things about this helmet.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Nice helmets and you will fit right with the crew at Mothers Day at the Basin especially if you add the obligatory Pugski sticker!
Pret.jpg

Marcel

Booting up
Skier
I have been skiing in the Smith Quantum all season and think it is just about perfect. Good fit and goes well with all of my goggles (Smith IO7, Oakley Flight Deck, Oakley Airbrake XL and POC Fovea). In fact I think the combination of the Quantum and Flight Deck is spot on, even better than the Smith's. I cannot say enough good things about this helmet.

good to know the flight deck + quantum work well together, wife wants a flight deck and I was thinking to take a look at one of the oakley helmets, seems like I can try a quantum for her as well.

drewski

Putting on skis
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just got the Cynic x Pret Helmet. Pret was at SIA and getting a ton of people to try them out. I was impressed with them. For my shape skull, this fit well and has a adjustable fit wheel in the back. 2 features stood out: the ear pieces are designed for maximum hearing. Although not super warm for the ears, I could hear better that any other helmet ( and I can always just put a balaclava on). the other is that they work almost seamless with any goggle. The helmet also adapts very well for those who prefer to wear a hat or beanie beneath and no ear pieces. Another well-liked attribute is the color choices and materials used. They feel solid and have a great selection of colors. Available in MIPs too. http://www.prethelmets.com/index.ph...173a0252da8b53897932346acae11e163ce54eaf292c4
I bought a cynic this year ,really like it, only thing I don't like is it vents really well, I had to tape up the vents when it gets cold or my head freezes

James

Out There
Instructor
Whatever happened to helmets being warm? Now you have to wear a hat with your helmet. Call it a beanie, balaclava, whatever. It's a freakin hat. Fine if it's super cold but this is normal cold. Ridiculous. It's almost enough to say screw it and just wear a hat.:nono: Want to hear well? Wear a hat. Without the helmet. All the Euro guides do.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Whatever happened to helmets being warm? Now you have to wear a hat with your helmet. Call it a beanie, balaclava, whatever. It's a freakin hat. Fine if it's super cold but this is normal cold. Ridiculous. It's almost enough to say screw it and just wear a hat.:nono: Want to hear well? Wear a hat. Without the helmet. All the Euro guides do.

Never have to wear anything under my helmet even in frigid temps (0ºF)...

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
If you think the Cynic is too cold try the Cirque X it has adjustable vents. http://prethelmets.com/index.php?p_...bf9a10606d17cbb46b576035270625c4e682d795e9c0a

39_219_original.png

A lot of us here ski with a super thin Tube scarf (lots of names for them) Buffs, the ones that are about 2mm thick, and can be worn in many variations; partially over the had, just on the face or throat. I personally prefer the ones made for the sun as the winter ones are too thick. This is most likely all you need under you Cynix.

BUGBL.jpg

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually wear a racing helmet for everything. Current lid is a Briko Vulcano 6.8, and it fits really well, is warm, and well made. Yes, it's slightly heavier than the vented freeride lids, but it meets the FIS RH2013 standard, so it's meant to take a licking.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Just replaced my old Giro with a new one with MIPS. Had a few small dents anyway. But in the interim I skied without a helmet and it was pretty nice to hear and feel free... so I might not go back.

Of course nowadays people look at you like you're a Hells Angel defying the law. Which may well be the case soon enough.

Last edited:

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I'm looking for the lowest profile helmet for next season as I'm tired of the cumbersome feel & as I'm getting older, find myself skiing w the hood up more for warmth.

Suggestions? SL helmet?

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just replaced my old Giro with a new one with MIPS. Had a few small dents anyway. But in the interim I skied without a helmet and it was pretty nice to hear and feel free... so I might not go back.

Of course nowadays people look at you like you're a Hells Angel defying the law. Which may well be the case soon enough.
I run warm so I just pull off the ear pads. helps in hearing for me. Discovered this when my kid lost an ear pad, mine fit hers and finding a replacement was too painful.

yup, fit first. Fit for googles too and noted my newer Giro had venting along the googles top to aid in air flow, reduced fogging.

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
I run warm so I just pull off the ear pads. helps in hearing for me. Discovered this when my kid lost an ear pad, mine fit hers and finding a replacement was too painful.

yup, fit first. Fit for googles too and noted my newer Giro had venting along the googles top to aid in air flow, reduced fogging.

Yeah I saw a photo of a guide without the ear pads and stupidly asked what kind of helmet it was... "just detach them dude". I will prob do the same, I hate overheating worse than being cold.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
I went and tried everything on the rack. End up with the Smith Vantage. Love it. Wife liked so much had to get her one too. Got lucky and they were last years clearance.
Most people that have tried it like it. Quite a few people on our Patrol have them as well. But there are quite a few other brands people like as well.Just get a good fit.
I really like the adjustable vents and adjustment for head size (boa?). Nice and light too which is nice on a long day. Just get what ever hits your price point and fits well.
I find if you have same brand of goggles as helmet they seem to vent better. A lot of us have a head sock as well for cold (-20ish) or colder days. Good Luck

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
The helmet must fit right. The expanded polystyrene liner inside the shell is there to cushion the head upon impact and help prevent a concussion. If the shape and size aren't right, the head can slam the inside of the helmet, the brain slams the inside of the skull, and the chance of a concussion worsens. The kids who wear a puffy knit cap under a too-big helmet are not well protected.

If it fits.....these are the ones that look safest to me--Smith Symbol 2 plus D (the world's worst product name). I'm interested in the D3O damping products, I have them in my motorcycle coat armor and my hiking shoe insoles, and this Smith has D3O pads plus MIPS. Next might be any helmet with MIPS. MIPS is a Swedish invention to help prevent a glancing impact causing the brain to rotate inside the skull possible causing serious injury (or the helmet & skull rotating around a stationary brain, same problem).

And, in addition to the helmet fitting the head just right, it has to fit our expensive goggles. Gott'a try some on in a well stocked store.