• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need Ski suggestion, length recommendation and probably therapy...

FatTS

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
OK so just joined Pugski because there's so much good info going around. I need new skis after trying some modern equipement this year for the first time and I'm totally fixated- OCD has officially kicked in. I know I'm in the right place for good advice

About me:
  • I'm 42 years old
  • 5'11" 225 lbs (not all of which is fat, pretty strong)
  • Mid-to-strong intermediate skier and getting better fast. Not super hard charger but like to open it up on occasion
  • 60-70% on piste, but friends taking me off piste more and more
  • Prefer short-medium size turns
  • Ski Tahoe area almost exclusively
  • Looking for the elusive "one ski quiver" so looking for 95-108 under foot
  • Don't like moguls but sometimes can't avoid them
  • Always looking for a good deal, I'm poor (not really but I have a 4 year old and live in the SF area)
I've been going around and around reading up on skis but unfortunately haven't been able to demo the skis I'm honing in on, which is where you guys come in. Recently skied two days on my buddy's Stockli SR88 in 177. At the time, the widest ski I'd ever ridden. Liked them a lot but maybe too stiff for my style. Bent a tail getting backseated on Silverado at Squaw (buddy was not happy but able to repair). Last weekend skied Volkl 90eight in 177cm at Heavenly. Dumped the night before and these had some nice float but I felt like they were maybe too short and maybe even too light as they got a bit chattery and deflected a lot in the crud.

Here's what I've been looking at (and what my concerns are):
  • Line Supernatural 100- this falls in the "forgiving" category in Blister buyer's guide, am I too heavy for it at 225 lbs? Is 179 too short? is 186 too long?
  • Volkl 100eight- Same concerns about the weight as I had with 90eight, not damp enough?
  • Nordica Enforcer- 185 would be great I think, but I should be able to find something similar that's not as expensive (hence SN100 consideration)
  • Another buddy will sell me his 2017 Liberty Origin 96 182's with Attack 16 bindings for $300. If this ski is appropriate for my size/weight/style this might be too good a deal to pass up. The huge amount of tip rocker is throwing me off though, especially at a 182cm ski. You tell me?
So, I'm open to suggestion, but I keep coming back to the SN100's and am inclined to buy them since I can get them for under $400 online, or go with the Origin 96. My weight being high for my height has me puzzled on the length I should go with. The metal vs. no metal thing has me a liitle puzzled too. Appreciate any feedback on ski suggestion, length and anything else.Thanks!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I think you want a 98 to 100mm ski about as tall as you are (180cm or so) with 2 sheets of metal. In sizing another way to look at this is you are likely one smaller than the biggest size.

Typically anything in the all mtn backside biased ski category would be good. Then it depends on your individual preference.
I think there are many skis targeting this category and just about all of them are good.
Ever since the Bonafide came out there are many skis to be compared or similar to it.

TS
FatTS

FatTS

Skier
I think you want a 98 to 100mm ski about as tall as you are (180cm or so) with 2 sheets of metal. In sizing another way to look at this is you are likely one smaller than the biggest size.

Typically anything in the all mtn backside biased ski category would be good. Then it depends on your individual preference.
I think there are many skis targeting this category and just about all of them are good.
Ever since the Bonafide came out there are many skis to be compared or similar to it.

Thanks. So then the Supernatural 100 in 179 is a decent option then (2 sheets of metal, ableit not edge to edge)? Worried it might be too short but the 186 too long. Liberty has no metal, Enforcer has 2 sheets but out of my price range...

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Renoun Endurance 98's made me happy everyday this season. Spend the money you'll be happy forever.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
For a One ski for Tahoe, I would suggest staying under 100 underfoot. Do not base a buying decision based upon this season, it was an anomoly. We usually have more bluebird groomer zoomer and wind buff days than powder days. One so fthe first skis that comes to mind is the Bonafide, strong and will hold you and not wear you out while doing it. Maybe the Stormrider 95 would be a premium option and dond forget the Armada Invictus 99Ti. The Line Suoernatural is a great ski and holds super and will float a bit. I haven't skied a Liberty in years so I cannot endorse their new skis, from what I saw at the show, tehy have come a long way.

TS
FatTS

FatTS

Skier
For a One ski for Tahoe, I would suggest staying under 100 underfoot. Do not base a buying decision based upon this season, it was an anomoly. We usually have more bluebird groomer zoomer and wind buff days than powder days. One so fthe first skis that comes to mind is the Bonafide, strong and will hold you and not wear you out while doing it. Maybe the Stormrider 95 would be a premium option and dond forget the Armada Invictus 99Ti. The Line Suoernatural is a great ski and holds super and will float a bit. I haven't skied a Liberty in years so I cannot endorse their new skis, from what I saw at the show, tehy have come a long way.
Great advice Phil, thanks a million. Luckily I'll have a chance to borrow the Origin 96 this weekend and test it out. If I like I will buy, otherwise roll the dice on the SN100. You're the best!

TS
FatTS

FatTS

Skier
Phil,
Was at sports basement today and got my hands on a pair of 185 NRGY 100's. Nice looking ski, better looking in person than in the pictures. Most reviews say it's really soft but didn't really feel that way when hand flexing. Any experience with this ski, or heard any input from someone who has?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Phil,
Was at sports basement today and got my hands on a pair of 185 NRGY 100's. Nice looking ski, better looking in person than in the pictures. Most reviews say it's really soft but didn't really feel that way when hand flexing. Any experience with this ski, or heard any input from someone who has?
I haven't skied it. But its one of those polarizing skis. Some love it. Some hate it. So I would say be sure to demo it first. That is good advice all the way around, but especially for a ski like that.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Phil,

Both Phil and I really liked these skis. What do we have in common? We both like to tip skis more than pivot. We both close our ankles and get some pressure to the front of the ski above the fall line. In my experience, they do have a speed limit of you like straight lining, but are a blast for someone who likes keeping the skis on edge in any/all terrain. I loved teaching off piste all mountain skiing to kids with these. Powder, chopped up fresh, big old corn bumps, and they arc'd well on piste. I sold mine to a work colleague roughly the same size as yourself and he loves them (PSIA L2). That said and as others mentioned, it was a very binary ski for most. You either liked them, or you didn't. fWIW, I skied the 185's, am 6', 200#, PSIA L3, mix of power and finesse skier.