• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need help choosing a new boot bag

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^It exceeds carry on by a an inch in two directions so you will need to crush it some to fit in the box... If it's jam packed you'll have to check it.. and no, if it is short the third way you don't get to make up the other overage areas because the third one is less.. It has to fit in this box..;

Your boots out of the bag would count as your "personal item", but that means your purse would have to be stashed in the ski bag I guess if you take the boots out.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
^^It exceeds carry on by a an inch in two directions so you will need to crush it some to fit in the box... If it's jam packed you'll have to check it.. and no, if it is short the third way you don't get to make up the other overage areas because the third one is less.. It has to fit in this box..;

Your boots out of the bag would count as your "personal item", but that means your purse would have to be stashed in the ski bag I guess if you take the boots out.

ok so of the 3 bags I mentioned which would fit as a carry on

Athalon bag#1
Hot gear bag
Athalon bag #2

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
ok so of the 3 bags I mentioned which would fit as a carry on

Athalon bag#1=17 x 14 x 15 inches Too big
Hot gear bag=11x18x17 inch too big
Athalon bag #2=18" x 15" x 10" too big

To be TOTALLY LEGIT carry on the bag must be under 9" on one side, under 14" on the other side, and be under 22" on the long side. I'm not aware of any bag that will hold adult size ski boots AND a helmet and still be carry on. Also, all of the true carry on bags have the boots nested on their side like the one Dave posted in the link below.

https://forum.pugski.com/threads/need-help-choosing-a-new-boot-bag.3940/page-2#post-88650

Most people just try to smash a slightly larger boot bag in the box without the helmet or without the boots inside it and put parts under the seat and parts in the overhead then reassemble the contents when they get off the plane..

Last edited:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Nonsense - my Hotgear classic is in the overhead right now - w/ helmet stacked on top. Pair of boots, shell, down mid layer, smith goggle case on inside, gloves, hat, water bottle on side. It has traveled w/ me at least once a month from Nov->May for 8 years - never had a problem. Fits in any mainline jet overhead. Pencil jets it gets dropped on the cart.

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
A word of caution about many backpacks in this thread: many do not have compression straps. They look good in the photos when they are stuffed with air pillows, but they do not function well. My solution for airplane travel is to put my boots in my regular daypack (Mystery Ranch SweetPea), the helmet can go into the checked luggage. There is really no way that a bag with helmet and boots would fit into the overhead, at least not with adult-size boots and helmet. Phil's pack is very nice, but the boots are exposed and you would have to take them off when putting into the overhead. I dodnt think the SweetPea is any longer in production, but the closest to it is the Scree. What distinguishes the MR packs from the others is the zipper system, its is genius for bulky items. Having a really bomber suspension system on a daypack and being built like a proverbial tank does not hurt either.
Screen Shot 2017-01-27 at 11.42.12 AM.png

I second the Kulkea for a base lodge pack, I love that thing (but it would never fit into an overhead).

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Nonsense - my Hotgear classic is in the overhead right now - w/ helmet stacked on top. Pair of boots, shell, down mid layer, smith goggle case on inside, gloves, hat, water bottle on side. It has traveled w/ me at least once a month from Nov->May for 8 years - never had a problem. Fits in any mainline jet overhead. Pencil jets it gets dropped on the cart.
Rob;

I've seen all kinds of things carried on planes that are significantly bigger than the "BOX" it is supposed to fit in to be a totally legal carry on. A few things come in to play. If you're flying first class you get more dedicated overheads per section of seats. If you board early you have a better chance of getting your bag up overhead. However, if you aren't that lucky and board a very crowded flight late all the overhead bins may be full. Does your bag also fit under the seat?

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
IMG_2367.JPG

This fits in overhead all the time, just took it out. Wasn't in Fiirst - fits in the AA sizer if you take the time to mash it in

Also took a SW segment - no First, no problem.

Just my experience w/ maybe 100+ flights

Nice toasty boots in AM

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
View attachment 19063

This fits in overhead all the time, just took it out. Wasn't in Fiirst - fits in the AA sizer if you take the time to mash it in

Also took a SW segment - no First, no problem.

Just my experience w/ maybe 100+ flights

Nice toasty boots in AM

I made that point much earlier. The external dimensions exceed the requirements but most people juggle stuff around (putting the helmet elsewhere) and cram it it the box with a little additional persuasion hahahaha! If it's packed full you will not get it "in the box" with boots and helmet inside or part of the bag together. You get a second carry on so some additional logistics will be required.

I respect your experience with "hundreds of flights over the past 10 years". Full disclosure, before going back to school and getting a better job I spent 10 years in retail Luggage Store management. Week in week out I dealt with hundreds of customers who flew every week and wanted to carry on as much as possible each time. Your experience is typical. Again, my point is there is not a bag that holds adult boots, a helmet, etc and still qualifies as a legal carry on. You have to move something out when "shoving it in the box". Bigger items will still fit in the overhead assuming you get one. There are not as many overhead bins as there are seats on most planes so if everyone wants overhead space some will always be disappointed.

Last edited:

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
I fly every week - there is a difference in "theory" and "real life" - applies to most things IMHO. They aren't going to make everyone put there stuff in the sizer, they would never push back on time.

If you get it through the opening at the X-ray machine your pretty much assured that it's going on your flight, overhead or gate check - I'm imdifferent - it's the SLC vs SJC @ mis-route that you want to avoid.

Pick whatever bag suits your needs and isn't BLATANTLY disrespecting the rules and you will be fine most of the time. Or just loop your boots over the back of your "emotional support" dog. Wink wink.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Thanks guys for all the input.

I think this one will be the winner.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001...g+boot+bag&dpPl=1&dpID=51O31iN7krL&ref=plSrch

Reviews are great and one of my friends is going on year 6 with one. I fly a couple times a year and have never had to put anything in the sizer. Worst case the flight is full and they encourage people to check another bag so I get a free bag checked at the last minute.

I may in the future snag the Athalon or hot gear heated bags however, price is a concern at thr moment. I'm about to pull the trigger on a pair of 2016 Stockli Laser AX skis so trying to go with a ski bag with great reviews that won't break the bank.

Last edited:

Teppaz

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have this Full Tilt Boot Pack. $75. I bought it specifically to use as a carry-on bag. It even fits in the overhead bins on smaller regional jets, provided the helmet isn't in the outer zipper storage. That said, I mostly don't travel by air, it's my everyday boot bag and I've had it for 2+ years. The construction is pretty good and it doesn't have any obvious spots where a strap might break.

Line sells the identical product, for a few dollars more for some reason.
Side view
View attachment 18953
Back view.
View attachment 18952
I've had the Line version for a couple of seasons and have brought it as a carry-on on domestic and international flights, no problem. There was only one flight where I had to take my helmet out so the bag would fit in the overhead compartment, but every other time the bag would fit with boots and helmet in it. Very nifty.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I've had the Line version for a couple of seasons and have brought it as a carry-on on domestic and international flights, no problem. There was only one flight where I had to take my helmet out so the bag would fit in the overhead compartment, but every other time the bag would fit with boots and helmet in it. Very nifty.

Agreed. I'd get this one for air travel.

https://forum.pugski.com/attachments/img_0903-jpg.18952/

For car trips I have a monstosity with backpack straps. Although, most of my 3 day plus trips involve a ski house ON the mountain either ski in ski our or a couple hundred foot walk to the trails from the house.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Ended up with this bag. I know it's bigger than the carry one sizing model but I see folks with much larger bags as a carry on so for the once a year I fly to ski I'll be fine.

I really like this bag. It has individual boot holders on each side with vents, a giant compartment that nicely holds the helmet as it's wedged between the 2 boots, tons of room on top within the compartment and a bunch of little zippered areas here and there. It's perfect for me.

16730270_10154385810953014_4693709089712993023_n.jpg

16708564_10154385810958014_5433199605347409069_n.jpg

16711980_10154385810918014_8172915640893974593_n.jpg

16508486_10154385810963014_5394075356770293066_n.jpg

rj2

Still using the same poles from the 70s
Skier
Ended up with this bag. I know it's bigger than the carry one sizing model but I see folks with much larger bags as a carry on so for the once a year I fly to ski I'll be fine.

I really like this bag. It has individual boot holders on each side with vents, a giant compartment that nicely holds the helmet as it's wedged between the 2 boots, tons of room on top within the compartment and a bunch of little zippered areas here and there. It's perfect for me.

16730270_10154385810953014_4693709089712993023_n.jpg

/QUOTE]
We have that bag. Worked fine flying to Denver on Virgin America. Fits pants, jacket, helmet, gloves, boots, and more.

Sponsor

Staff online