• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Need help choosing a new boot bag

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I have a Dakine back pack style boot bag with the main compartment for boots, a top section that holds my helmet and goggles and then a front part where I keep glove's, neck gator, etc. My strap broke this am traveling to the airport. I can make this due till I get home but am traveling to banff in a month so need another one by then.

Not interested in a heated bag or fancy things like that but I am intriguthaty the backpack boot bags with slots outside the bag that holds the boots but this doesn't seem so great for air travel.

What bags does everyone use, would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
This is very close to the Techinca badged bag I've had for the past 12 years. It's probably way too big to carry on though..

mj-618_348_the-hold-everything-ski-boot-bag.jpg

http://www.mensjournal.com/gear/outdoor/the-hold-everything-ski-boot-bag-20140214

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I have one of the bags that has the boots on the outside. No go for air travel, too big. Yet my Salomon "Go-to-ski" bag is allowed. I use the one with the boots outside for day use from home.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have a Dakine back pack style boot bag with the main compartment for boots, a top section that holds my helmet and goggles and then a front part where I keep glove's, neck gator, etc. My strap broke this am traveling to the airport. I can make this due till I get home but am traveling to banff in a month so need another one by then.

Not interested in a heated bag or fancy things like that but I am intriguthaty the backpack boot bags with slots outside the bag that holds the boots but this doesn't seem so great for air travel.

What bags does everyone use, would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.
How could you not want a heated boot bag, my old heated bag quit after 7 seasons and I did not think I could make it another day with out one , lucky for me I found one on ebags on sale, It saved my season!!!!!!! Do you use it for a carry on???

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
How could you not want a heated boot bag, my old heated bag quit after 7 seasons and I did not think I could make it another day with out one , lucky for me I found one on ebags on sale, It saved my season!!!!!!! Do you use it for a carry on???

Heh, I can understand not wanting a heated boot bag far more easily than having boots strapped to the outside at Trembrrrrrrrlant. :)

James

Out There
Instructor
I have one of the bags that has the boots on the outside. No go for air travel, too big. Yet my Salomon "Go-to-ski" bag is allowed. I use the one with the boots outside for day use from home.
I have the Sync version. Boots strapped to the outside. It is actually good for the plane. You take the boots off getiing on the plane and carry separately. Then reattach after getting off. Did this twice last year, once to Europe.
This replaced my carrying a small backpack with boots slung over shoulder.
image.jpg

Zipper broke on the plane but I managed to get it closed. It's still broken, I'm still using it. I like the boots outside style. I'd prefer it had zippers on those outside pockets to make it more useful.

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Transpack bags are great.
The heated pro is hard to beat.
image.png

But I still love the TRV Pro
image.png

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_3465.JPG
Last couple times I flew, I just took my regular daypack and tucked boots into the side straps...works great. And way more comfortable to lug around the airport than most boot bags.

Although I did gain interest in the Rossi pack mentioned above, only problem was it's not a carry-on size.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^I could see buckles getting sheared off and shells getting cracked when going through all the abuse that happens to your bags once they are out of your sight..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I don't believe that the math allows a truly legit, fits in the box, carry on size that would hold a pair of men's ski boots and a helmet all together.

22"X16"X9" is basically a pair of boots L to inverted L with only a little space remaining for some soft items..

I was once on a plane sitting in a row with a dude that bought a seat for his banjo case. Anyone ever buy a seat for their boots??

James

Out There
Instructor
I don't believe that the math allows a truly legit, fits in the box, carry on size that would hold a pair of men's ski boots and a helmet all together.

22"X16"X9" is basically a pair of boots L to inverted L with only a little space remaining for some soft items..

I was once on a plane sitting in a row with a dude that bought a seat for his banjo case. Anyone ever buy a seat for their boots??
Nope, don't think so either. But they have let you carry boots loose for years. So before the gate you take them off the pack.

Would be cheaper to Fedex stuff then buy a seat.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^I could see buckles getting sheared off and shells getting cracked when going through all the abuse that happens to your bags once they are out of your sight..

Carry on only. I would never recommend it to go through checked luggage. Helmet and boots outside...NO WAY!

Dimensions are *slightly* over the allowable when it's all together. But the bag itself (with helmet attached) is just fine. So, exactly what James said, take the boots off before getting on the plane (hence the big carabiner on the outside...makes a nice easy handle to carry boots with).

James

Out There
Instructor
Yeah I just got tired of carrying boots over the shoulder in the airport so I got a pack that they go outside. Put the cattracks on also. Water bottle can be shoved in boot. The advantage to the dedicated ones is that they have flaps underneath that hold the herl of boot. But a good pack with side straps can work also.

Transpack also makes a small pack with external boots and helmet. I remember running into @Philpug in the Denver airport years ago and he had that pack.
image.jpg

http://transpack.squarespace.com/sidekickpro/

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yeah I just got tired of carrying boots over the shoulder in the airport so I got a pack that they go outside. Put the cattracks on also. Water bottle can be shoved in boot. The advantage to the dedicated ones is that they have flaps underneath that hold the herl of boot. But a good pack with side straps can work also.

Transpack also makes a small pack with external boots and helmet. I remember running into @Philpug in the Denver airport years ago and he had that pack.
View attachment 18917
http://transpack.squarespace.com/sidekickpro/
This is still my favorite bag for airline travel. It fits well into an overhead compartment, it has a padded slot for laptop and it is very comfortable to walk from gate to gate..to gate.

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
So many great choices. Thanks everyone. @Jilly what's the full name of the bag you posted, love that thing.

Also loved the transport bags. Most of my ski trips are done by car but once or twice a winter I get on a plane to ski so airport ease of transport is important as well.

One thingi l like about my dakine bag is the helmet compartment. It pretty much immobilized the helmet so it can't move around much.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
[QUOTE ="crgildart, post: 88355, member: 89"]^^^I could see buckles getting sheared off and shells getting cracked when going through all the abuse that happens to your bags once they are out of your sight..[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing he's clever enough to see the trend.

midwestfabs

Booting up
Skier
Few years back i purchased the https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/luggage/thule-roundtrip-collection and have been pleased. The round trip boot bag attaches to the roller ski bag same name. I havent travel with the boot bag, but have the ski bag. Fits my skis, wife and two kids skis plus poles and its just under 50lbs. The boots slip in through the bag, plenty of storage on the side and front helmet slot.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter