• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

NBA....playoffs

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I don't pretend to know much about basketball. I rarely watch it. I did. A hundred years ago in college, as I had buddies playing. In pickup games, I quickly gained respect for people who can play as I sucked. Horribly.

We live outside of Boston. So "my" NBA season pretty much comes alive when the payoffs begin, and I will watch a game or two, and parts of more. This year the Cetics have more or less overachieved and are now in the Eastern Conference Finaks. Playing LeBron and the Cavs.

Last night LeBron and team just dismantled he Celtics. Maybe the worst playoff loss in their history by any measure.

What struck me, once again, what just how incredibly athletic all these guys tend to be. Like off the charts. And how other-worldly the guys like LeBron are. He is just amazing to watch. I was at the game with a few friends. One was drafted to play pro baseball, signed a free agent contract in the NFL, and likely could have player D1 hockey on college. He was saying that he thinks LeBron would likely be an all pro in the NFL, and in MLB. In fact we were chuckling about what sports he could not master.

Figure skating? Polo. Too big to be a jockey. I bet if you gave him a month, he would be a pretty darn solid skier.

The strength, speed, coordination, and body control is incredible. I'm in awe just watching these guys warm up.

Always a short season for me, but fun to watch. Feel the same about the NHL. They make better skiers, though.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That's the problem with our ski team. The most talented athletes get the best pay in our NFL, NBA or MLB. Snow skiing is a passion, not the lucrative career.

Other parts of the world pay well for what we call second tier sports. Soccer, cycling, tennis and skiing are well paid outlets for talent. So international development in those sports will be way ahead of in the USA. I'm not sure that is all bad but it is real.

I'm surprised that the USA does as well as it does. While I'm enjoying the NBA playoffs.

Eric

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
Wasn't my thinking and intent in posting it, but good points. I was more reflecting on what incredible athletes the NBA is made up of. And, yeah, fun to watch. Wow!

One of the realities is that you do not have to be an exceptional athlete to be an exceptional WC skier. In the US, Bode is an exceptional athlete by any measure. Mancuso is. Resi. The two best women of all time, not so much.

And yes, a lot of opportunities in so many sports. Would take Hirscher a lot of years to match an NBA "max contract!"

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@Muleski Sorry to make the connection about the ski team. Your awesome race insight just led me to correlate it that way.

I watched the Lakers a bit this season. Their win percentage was abysmal. But the quality of play and exhibition of athletic prowess was really fun to watch. The NBA has exceptional talent. We do enjoy seeing that. Your core observation is spot on.

Eric

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One of the problems I have with basketball is that when you have a typical score like 104-102 it seems a bit random who wins A lopsided score like the Cavs-Celtics makes it clearly not random. The Boston Globe headline was "Epic Beating".

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
The NBA is populated with the best pure athletic freaks of any sport, boxing and mma are close, but saying their athleticism would translate to other sports where 'being exceptionally tall' isn't a prerequisite is discounting how hard most professional sports are. I'll bet $$ that LJ could play in the NFL (tight end), he'd probably make a good soccer goalie... but baseball? I really doubt it. Hitting major league pitching is the single hardest thing to do in ANY sport. Period. Most people don't believe that, but it is the truth. There is a reason the best hitter of all time was also an excellent fighter pilot and not a hockey player. The skills are unique. They are not the same athletes, but they have their own type form of 'freakish'.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
Yeah, those NBA guys are amazing. One time I was at a Sonics game (don't get me started there!) in the 5th row behind the basket. They were playing Houston in the days of Hakeem Olajuwon. Houston got a rebound and came down on the fast break right at us. Olajuwon was on the wing and cut to the basket at the last moment, took the pass and slammed it home. For a moment I was convinced that he would come crashing right into the seats and take us all out. Any normal person would have done that. I don't know how he missed everyone, but it was with incredible body control. I don't even remember who won, but I sure remember that play.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
The NBA is populated with the best pure athletic freaks of any sport, boxing and mma are close, but saying their athleticism would translate to other sports where 'being exceptionally tall' isn't a prerequisite is discounting how hard most professional sports are. I'll bet $$ that LJ could play in the NFL (tight end), he'd probably make a good soccer goalie... but baseball? I really doubt it. Hitting major league pitching is the single hardest thing to do in ANY sport. Period. Most people don't believe that, but it is the truth. There is a reason the best hitter of all time was also an excellent fighter pilot and not a hockey player. The skills are unique. They are not the same athletes, but they have their own type form of 'freakish'.

I agree, 100% on the difficulty of hitting a major league pitch, particularly a curve or cutter. I have been told that it seems like hundreds of times. The guy who made the comment grew up in a Cleveland suburb, and his family's business was based in Akron, so he had some familiarity with LeBron, the young athlete. I guess when he was young teen there were folks who thought baseball was his best sport....probably when he projected to grow to something more like 6'3"-6'4". Who knows?
All I do know is that he is an absolute freak. The way the guy moves, and goes about every aspect of the game is insane. Burying three's 10 feet outside the three point line, etc. Passing the ball crosscourt like a baseball. You name it. To me, so impressive.

In terms of overall athleticism, having seen Bode do a lot of "stuff", he sure is at the top of my list of ski racers...back to the point!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm just glad that the Miami heat got blown up a couple years ago. Guess out of everyone left I like the Cavs best.

I'm not a huge NBA fan. I'm more likely to watch NCAA basketball and I prefer the way the NCAA and NFL encourage kids to stay in school a little longer than the NBA does. I get that it is age discrimination de facto.. Still prefer the league not draft kids after only one year in college.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Hitting major league pitching is the single hardest thing to do in ANY sport. Period. Most people don't believe that, but it is the truth. There is a reason the best hitter of all time was also an excellent fighter pilot and not a hockey player. The skills are unique. They are not the same athletes, but they have their own type form of 'freakish'.

I'd put stopping a penalty kick in the highest level of soccer up there with hitting a major league baseball pitch. If a keeper is stopping more than 20% of penalty shot attempts they are freaking insanely great.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I recall when MIchael Jordan took his first "retirement" from basketball and tried to start a career in baseball. He was only so-so as a minor leaguer, just didn't have the upper body and arm strength and timing to hit the ball very far. Completely different skill set.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm just glad that the Miami heat got blown up a couple years ago. Guess out of everyone left I like the Cavs best.

I'm not a huge NBA fan. I'm more likely to watch NCAA basketball and I prefer the way the NCAA and NFL encourage kids to stay in school a little longer than the NBA does. I get that it is age discrimination de facto.. Still prefer the league not draft kids after only one year in college.

BUMP! NBA Commissioner Adam Silver announced today that they are seriously considering changing the one and dones from NCAA to NBA and draft from college more like the NFL does, no more freshmen/sophomores. I hope that's true because college basketball will get a lot better, and I think it will also benefit the pros having more mature, seasoned talent as well.

scott43

Skier
I don't know much about basketball really..but all I hear on the radio is how does anyone beat Cleveland or Golden State? Like, the Raptor talk is just wait..cuz you can't beat them. I think it's the most individually influenced team sport..

TS
Muleski

Muleski

Inactive
I am at best a casual fan, really only a fan at playoff time, and less of a fan once the Celtics get eliminated. Not my thing. Winter is for skiing.

However, it's pretty amazing that the NBA is structured in such a way that there are now in effect two super teams, that nobody else can play with. Last year, Kevin Durant, one of the top few players in the game signed with Golden State, who had lost in the finals to Lebron and the Cavs. GS had set the NBA record for wins, and even before KD's signing, was loaded with talent....Stef Curry.

Those two teams have met in the finals three times in a row. I think it's seven years for whatever team Lebron has played for.

I have heard that the talent gap between these two teams and the rest of the league is not only huge, and unlike any before, bit unlike any other pro sport. Ever. I can't understand how this is good for the NBA.

In Boston, the Cetics were smoked in the Eastern Finals by Cleveland. SMOKED. The talk is that the only possible way that a pretty talented Celtics team can contend is to add a couple of the best 6-8 players in the game to their roster. Not easy.

Then consider these "max contracts." Wow. Steph Curry is looking at a 5 year $207Mil deal. I think.

Nuts, IMO. There is nothing close to parity in this league and sport. It's been interesting to watch all of the chess moves made by the Celtics to at least be competitive with the rest, and fun to watch them in most games.

But these two teams just toy with the rest. I would think that at some point fans tune out.

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
I like the idea of a salary cap in the NBA. Lets even the playing field a bit so coaching becomes more important and strategy of assembling the right team becomes more important. Right now, the Warriors are like the Lakers of the 80s if they added Bird or for that matter they are like the Celtics of the 80s if they added Magic. Unfair IMO.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Any sport at the level these guys play is for beyond what ever we can do, as mortals hence why they get paid millions to do it. I will add golf to the mix here. Golf at the level the pros play, not us at the municipal course or even the privates. One of the things that differentiates gold is, there are no contracts. each week they show up to earn their paychecks. Sure there are endorsements and the occasional appearance fee's but each tournament, if they don't make the cut, they go home with nothing. Like hitting a baseball is hard, ask Jordan, look how many athletes from other sports try to make it on the Pro or Senior tour and have succeeded...Tony Romo, Mike Schmidt and the story of Smoltz, Maddox and Glaven (all scratch players) playing best ball against Tiger...and still loosing.

Back to basketball. These guys are extremely gifted, see how much contact there is for it being an non contact sport..then to have the finesse to softly drop in a 3 pointer. from 25 feet with nothing but net. The presensce on the floor for a no look pass or ally-oop. I don't watch much, I jsut cannot take the squeeking of the sneekers.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Exhibit 1: Michael Jordan's baseball career.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I'd put stopping a penalty kick in the highest level of soccer up there with hitting a major league baseball pitch. If a keeper is stopping more than 20% of penalty shot attempts they are freaking insanely great.
Yeah, but now you are talking something where Lebron really could have an advantage that even the best don't have. Aside from coordination and quickness, he has a much longer reach than even Neuer. And the strength to potentially save a shot with a fingertip.

I'm not Lebron fan at all. I'd rather witness the insanely good coaching of Brad Stevens (or pop), or the selfless chemistry of the Warriors than freakishly self-centered athleticism.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I am at best a casual fan, really only a fan at playoff time, and less of a fan once the Celtics get eliminated. Not my thing. Winter is for skiing.

However, it's pretty amazing that the NBA is structured in such a way that there are now in effect two super teams, that nobody else can play with. Last year, Kevin Durant, one of the top few players in the game signed with Golden State, who had lost in the finals to Lebron and the Cavs. GS had set the NBA record for wins, and even before KD's signing, was loaded with talent....Stef Curry.

Those two teams have met in the finals three times in a row. I think it's seven years for whatever team Lebron has played for.

I have heard that the talent gap between these two teams and the rest of the league is not only huge, and unlike any before, bit unlike any other pro sport. Ever. I can't understand how this is good for the NBA.

In Boston, the Cetics were smoked in the Eastern Finals by Cleveland. SMOKED. The talk is that the only possible way that a pretty talented Celtics team can contend is to add a couple of the best 6-8 players in the game to their roster. Not easy.

Then consider these "max contracts." Wow. Steph Curry is looking at a 5 year $207Mil deal. I think.

Nuts, IMO. There is nothing close to parity in this league and sport. It's been interesting to watch all of the chess moves made by the Celtics to at least be competitive with the rest, and fun to watch them in most games.

But these two teams just toy with the rest. I would think that at some point fans tune out.
But that to me is what is special about the warriors. Every guy on that team. Every guy, not just the superstars (because they have an amazing bench too) could be making more money elsewhere.

But they want to play together. They like each other. They like the culture. They like being the best. And you see it on the court. Whoever is going off tonight is the star. There is no way Steph takes the max deal. He was ground zero for realizing that ultimately he makes more money because he is on the greatest team ever. So he takes less salary in order to keep the team together and maximize his endorsements. Smart. Humble. His picture should be in the dictionary next to "team player".

This dynasty will roll until Draymond becomes a free agent. Dray will go for the money. The Warriors will be lessened and Dray will regret it because his intangibles won't translate in most systems the way they do at GS.

Ah, you opened the door on my second favorite sport . . . did I mention I grew up in Indiana? The cliches about BB in Indiana are not cliches. . .

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I've been ton one NBA game in real life. It was at the Silverdome, before the Pistons built the Palace. It was miserable watching the game in the Silverdome.
My favorite basketball to watch was the high school tournaments from regionals up through the finals. I liked the heart that went into those high school games.

But the pros - Wow the finesse. These guys had me in their grasp on Thursday, and I'll probably watch the rest of the finals. It is good basketball.

*I heard the Pistons may be building another venue near Ford Field and Comerica Park?

Sponsor

Staff online

• Tricia
    The Velvet Hammer
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January