• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

National Coffee Day

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
454_horse_power_coffee_icon.png

The Kicking Horse Coffee (a British Columbia brand) "454 Horse Power" I bought at the supermarket in Vancouver for the Gathering was excellent!
https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/...454_horse_power_coffee_icon.png?itok=CNfPgOt8

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I stopped drinking coffee in January and almost immediately the heartburn stopped. That's good, of course, but the trouble is, I still miss it. Tea is ok but just not the same (duh). I guess I can just deal with that or play around with drinking a 1/2 cup, or a 1/2 cup with a 1/2 cup of the Dandy Blend coffee substitute (er, not really) to make up the volume difference. But there's cold brew, too. I'll investigate using my French press to make a cold brew. Ref: https://www.homegrounds.co/cold-brew-coffee-maker-reviews-2016/

James

Out There
Instructor
I stopped drinking coffee in January and almost immediately the heartburn stopped. That's good, of course, but the trouble is, I still miss it. Tea is ok but just not the same (duh). I guess I can just deal with that or play around with drinking a 1/2 cup, or a 1/2 cup with a 1/2 cup of the Dandy Blend coffee substitute (er, not really) to make up the volume difference. But there's cold brew, too. I'll investigate using my French press to make a cold brew. Ref: https://www.homegrounds.co/cold-brew-coffee-maker-reviews-2016/
What if you just drank espresso/cappucino/latte? Maybe the smaller quantities would help.

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'll have to experiment with the espresso drinks too. Now that my problems are handled, I don't want to go back to a coffee habit again, but having it on occasion becomes a huge treat. Same thing with :wine:and :margarita:and :martini:.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah except their cafe serves awful coffee. I stopped in Millerton, NY this year and figured surely I could get a decent cup. Nope. Sour, likely brewed at too low a temp. They were closing in 1/2 hour but this was gas station like.

Harney and Sons Tea has a tea shop down the street. Their offices are now right off Rte 22 before the cutoff to downtown Millerton.
https://www.harney.com/pages/the-millerton-shop

Black Bear Coffee roasters in NH has had a really dark roast called "Charbucks". Starbucks sued them to try and stop it. They lost and lost an appeal, I think they stopped there.

View attachment 21435
https://blackbearcoffee.com/products/26?destination=products/all-coffees

Part of the story:
"We felt a strong, ethical obligation to label the product in a very distinctive manner that would alert any consumer to be fully aware of what was in the bag before purchasing it.

The term “Charbucks” had been in widespread usage for many years all over the United States, but during the early 90s, it was being used intensively in the Boston, MA area. George Howell, former owner of the, now non-existent Coffee Connection, had brought it into prominence in the Boston area.

The Coffee Connection was the most popular coffee roastery in Boston, and was known, and highly revered, for roasting coffee in a manner identical to the way we do, that is, not “over roasting” coffee. George Howell, founder and owner of the Coffee Connection, regarded Starbucks as the antithesis to what he believed in. By 1994, the Coffee Connection had expanded to twenty-one retail outlets, and Starbucks was actively attempting to purchase the chain. Since George felt so strongly that Starbucks “over roasted” all of their coffee, he began to refer to Starbucks as “Charbucks” extensively."
http://www.blackbearcoffee.com/Starbucks/What's_it_all_about.htm
Appeal:
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSBRE9AE0Z120131115
But when Starbucks offered him $20 million for Coffee Connection, he took the money and ran. Of course, who wouldn't? When his covenant not to compete expired, he started a,new coffee company called origianally called "Terroir", but now is George Howell Coffee Co.
www.georgehowellcoffee.com

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I can get KH coffee at home in Ontario... Coffee is getting as bad a beer around here. Everyone has a blend that is better than the last one..Gotta admit, I don't miss working for a major instant coffee manufacturer. That stuff was crap!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It is back for 2018 National Coffee Day is today:) :coffee:

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We do the San Francisco French toast from Costco. Hamilton Beach machine at home, percolator in the 5th wheel, French press when it's just me. Decent price, tastes good.

If you want to mess with Starbucks go in and order a large coffee. It's like you're speaking a strange language.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
currently working on one of the absolute best coffee I have ever had, Yemen Mocha (mochas is the town) and just had a Corvus Kenyan which was off the charts good, just a notch below the Yemen. Both super complex, excellent body, superbly smooth and full of flavor. The Yemen is unbelievable though, toasted marshmallows, rich milk chocolate, toast and even tropical fruit on the finish,. Its on the high end of medium but not over roasted; I cant stand any hint of "French roast or char bucks" I had to open up the grind significantly since it pulls like molasses. crazy stuff.. I am only pulling shots with it but I am sure pour over/press would be amazing.

Available at Henry's House of coffee in SFCA.https://henryshouseofcoffee.com/shop/coffee/yemen-mocha/

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I cold brew coffee. It takes 18-24 hours in the fridge, keeps for weeks, can be heated up if desired and is way less acidic than coffee made with hot water. 62% less acidic according to the Cold Brew coffee maker that I have which is similar to the one pictured below. Cold brewing gives any brand of coffee a smoother taste.

upload_2018-9-29_8-38-48.png

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've really been enjoying Trader Joes instant. Instant hot and TJ's takes about 10 seconds to make. Mmm... Maybe I'll take my annual savings not doing Charbucks and buy a new pair of Stocklis.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
454_horse_power_coffee_icon.png

The Kicking Horse Coffee (a British Columbia brand) "454 Horse Power" I bought at the supermarket in Vancouver for the Gathering was excellent!
https://www.kickinghorsecoffee.com/...454_horse_power_coffee_icon.png?itok=CNfPgOt8

The mountain bike clinic I just did, Trek Dirt Series, gives away a bag of Kicking Horse Coffee to every participant.

As the story goes, they had one of their clinics, and someone asked about the “Seattle’s Best” coffee they were giving out in the morning. They told the woman that it was actually Kicking Horse coffee, but the only cups they could get was the Seattle’s Best ones they were drinking from. Turns out, the woman who made the comment was the owner of Kicking Horse Coffee. She had such a good time in the clinic, and believed in their vision. She now donates a bag of coffee for every participant, along with coffee for the mornings (cups included).

So, naturally I’m drinking that on this beautiful fall morning...

20F58323-0424-4AF9-93D0-EE7A5E6E2139.jpeg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
14524362_10154587189216350_4227108372196054274_o.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Peets Major Dicksons
Pour over.

laine

I ski like a girl. Fast.
Skier
Peets Major Dicksons
Pour over.

I was at a Peet's in the Castro (gay neighborhood in San Francisco, for those who don't know), and I ordered a cup of Major Dickinson's, black. And the barista responded with, "There's nothing like a cup of Major Dick in the morning." :roflmao:

Tho I really love Peerless Coffee, based in Oakland. Sea Smoke is their best blend. But when I'm out, I'll order Peet's Major Dick or lately, their light roast. At Starbucks, I drink Pike. Always black.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January