• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

National Coffee Day

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I know it makes me a pariah here but I largely think a lot of modern coffee is just pretension on the part of people who don't enjoy a proper brew

Definition of a British day out - Somewhere to go, Something to do/see, Somewhere to have a nice cuppa tea.

I had High Tea with (local) friends in London. At a 5* hotel I was staying for business. Priceless experience.

OldSchool47

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
I'm going to the Fred Meyer Peet's in about 5 minutes for an espresso. Double shot. French roast. Ohne milch.

ls.jpg

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
As you may well know there is a Starbucks at Northstar, but there is a new restaurant on site called Inxpot. They have a locally roasted coffee that I enjoy from time to time but I (generally) don't buy coffee while I'm at work.

The Inxpot coffee is from The Hub.
http://www.hubcoffeeroasters.com

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Kona coffee rocks!

I'm not sure my opinions are valid, I like cafe au lait not pure black. Scotch is best neat, coffee best 50% milk.

To further discredit myself, I like good decaffeinated coffee. And I miss Postum.

Eric
Decaffeinated? Is there good decaffeinated??? What is the point?:nono: Do you also like alcohol free scotch?:huh:;););)

My ex-Sister In Law was a big wig at Peet's and got me hooked. We would get bags weekly from her, like a subscription. Now, we get the Major Dickason's Blend from Costco or Sam's $14.50/2lb or when on sale, around $12.00 and we stock up. Like @Tricia said, we rarely buy coffee out, when we travel, we usually bring our pour over pot. When we were on Oklahoma City a few weeks ago, the what a DD and that is fine coffee when they make it. I think it is the cream, I think they use heavy cream, not half&half.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You mean you didn't like the Mr. Coffee machine? The prior load of grounds really hadn't been in there long. And the Folger's came pre ground which saves precious time and mess. The large canister is a great value and lasts forever.

I think I also mentioned I had freeze dried in the lower cabinet. Everyone's a connoisseur these days.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Postum? I never thought I'd hear someone missed Postum.
If you want to get it, you can find it at most health food stores.

Really, where? I'd love to find some. When the end of Postum was announced, all the Mormons went out and bought up a year's supply. Almost triggered a Postum resurgence but I haven't seen it in years. Maybe it finally came back. Love to try the modern version.

Decaffeinated? Is there good decaffeinated??? What is the point?:nono: Do you also like alcohol free scotch?:huh:;););)

My mother's heart doesn't tolerate caffeine well so I grew up with decaf. There are some decafs that I enjoy - some taste a lot better than than some of the funky "real" coffee offerings. I do like alcohol free beer - especially if I'm driving. Or need fluid. Alcohol is part of the flavor of scotch, in coffee there is no caffeine flavor - just effect.

Isn't the point of coffee (or Postum) to sit down in the morning and enjoy something to drink with friends?

Eric

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Eleeski The Natural food store in Cadillac Michigan was a huge market for Postum and they found another brand that was acceptable for Postum lovers. I'll check on it and let you know what I find.

OldSchool47

Putting on skis
Pass Pulled
Hm. Not feeling the love for Peets. They used to say Starbucks over-roasted their beans.

Close your eyes, have a few sips of Peet's French roast and you will feel the love. Alfred knew coffee like few others.

"Alfred Peet is widely credited with being the pioneer in the American coffee revolution. Peet was born in Alkmaar, the Netherlands, in 1920. His father owned and operated a coffee wholesale and coffee bean grindery, and during his younger years, Peet would help in the family’s coffee roasting, grinding and coffee bean buying business. So he was trained to be a coffee bean roasting and grinding expert at an early age. At the age of 18, in 1938, he moved to London to work for a coffee and tea company, probably to gain more experience in both the coffee and tea business. It is not clear where Peet was during World War II. If he was in England at that time, he probably ended up in participating in the war effort. We do know that at a later time, probably following the war, Peet lived in New Zealand and Indonesia, again involved in the coffee and tea business.

In 1955, Peet immigrated to the United States and settled in San Francisco."

Source: http://www.newnetherlandinstitute.org/history-and-heritage/dutch_americans/alfred-h-peet/

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hm. Not feeling the love for Peets. They used to say Starbucks over-roasted their beans.

Try https://irvingfarm.com/

They believe in tasting the bean, and what it has to offer, not the roast. Most coffee addicts in merica have become addicted to the roast, not the nuances of the bean. Irving Farm actually develops relationships with small growers so they ship directly from the grower to their roasting barn. At their roasting barn they experiment with each crop to determine the proper roast for that particular crop to maximize and enhance the natural flavors the bean has to offer.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
Close your eyes, have a few sips of Peet's French roast and you will feel the love. Alfred knew coffee like few others.

"Alfred Peet is widely credited with being the pioneer in the American coffee revolution. Peet was born in Alkmaar, the Netherlands, in 1920. His father owned and operated a coffee wholesale and coffee bean grindery, and during his younger years, Peet would help in the family’s coffee roasting, grinding and coffee bean buying business. So he was trained to be a coffee bean roasting and grinding expert at an early age. At the age of 18, in 1938, he moved to London to work for a coffee and tea company, probably to gain more experience in both the coffee and tea business. It is not clear where Peet was during World War II. If he was in England at that time, he probably ended up in participating in the war effort. We do know that at a later time, probably following the war, Peet lived in New Zealand and Indonesia, again involved in the coffee and tea business.

In 1955, Peet immigrated to the United States and settled in San Francisco."

Source: http://www.newnetherlandinstitute.org/history-and-heritage/dutch_americans/alfred-h-peet/

It is a particular flavor, and I don't dislike it — I've had Peet's often enough. Just isn't my favorite. My wife's uncle drinks it exclusively.