• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

My experiences with my super wide and flat feet.

fuzzybabybunny

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm posting this here just to keep the information alive for others who have the same issue since EpicSki is closing down. Someone recently sent me a PM on there about my wide feet experiences and only then did I realise the EpicSki forums were closing down.

I've got massively wide, boxy, and flat feet and require a 120mm last, and maybe more as my feet start to swell during activity. My toe box is very close to just being a square, so the taper fit of standard boots kill me in the toes.

I also have thick calves and (I guess) thick ankles.

I recently got new boots because I was getting really really bad shin bang with my old Head Vector 110s, which I had fitted for me ages ago.

I had my new boots fitted at Boot Solutions in Niseko, Japan. They said my feet were the widest they've ever seen and my toe box one of the squarest.

I ended up getting the Atomic Hawx Magna 130 which I'm very happy with:

Some thoughts:

- Flex ratings are not standard between boot manufacturers. My Vector 110s would feel the same as a 130-flex in another manufacturer and another manufacturer's 130 felt like my old beginner 85-flex boots!

- I really really really wanted to get a boot with walk mode this time around, so I thought that surely one of the Fischer boots like the Ranger would be good. Well, I tried many boots with a walk mode and unfortunately they all felt like noodles in the stiffness department. This is the case where a 130-flex with walk mode felt like it had an actual flex of 85 or 90. Way way way more flexy than my Head 110, despite having a "130 flex." I basically gave up on the walk mode because for me a stiff boot is safer for my fast-charging style of skiing. Plus I felt that the walk mode didn't make *that* huge of a difference in ankle articulation, certainly not for the huge sacrifice in stiffness.

- The Atomic Hawx Magna 130 that I got are much lighter than my old Head 110s and the stiffness feels the same. The difference for me is that the tongue and shin portion is much more supportive than my old Heads and they're easier to walk in because they're lighter.

- I got mine blown out no less than four times, each time wider and wider.

- I still use my old Head 110 liners because the stock Atomic liners are too restrictive. I tried to "gill" the liners myself (cutting vertical sections into the liner material to allow them to stretch out) but they still felt too restrictive in the foot and toebox.

- If you need new liners, you've gotta budget a lot more money as well. Getting a liner with really thin, non-insulating, and stretchable material is the only option for people like you and me with wide feet. I felt that Intuition liners were too tight even after baking. In my case with my old Head liners I actually had to cut some material away to make room for my feet as well as get the fitter to stretch them.

DonC

Squeezing into my stabilyx tights
Skier
I have similar anatomy and issues. Been skiing a custom Daleboot for about 15 years and have been very happy. They stretch the shell enough to accommodate a very wide foot with a comfy and warm intuition liner. Seems like a better option than being forced to use a very thin uninsulated liner.

cem

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Industry Insider
depending on the volume of the rear foot then you could try a zipfit liner, they have the complete forefoot made of neoprene lined with shear-ling fleece, the liner fits more like a sock than a boot liner form the mid foot forward but gives a really good rear foot hold due to the cork/clay putty inside