• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Music, Home Studio, Gigs, and Gear. Rockers Unite!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Nice.

You think she is good now wait till that speaker loosens up a bit....

and keep your eye out for a beat up Marshall cab (not MG or Valvestate) on local Craigslist too!

When you feel frisky change V1 to a better tube, maybe a Tung Sol reissue 12ax7

That'll do!

The Fuse software is fun too! Really the SC head is one killer rig! I'm kinda diggin British tone at the moment but I am always hunting CL for one of those.

Thank you for the tip (and the help via PM). I just installed the tungSol RI. It does sound better with it. I find it a little rounder, fuller and sweeter. More bluesy. And it gos real well both with crank and fuzz distortion.

Beautiful toy

20170610_125422-jpg.25439

Attachments

• 20170610_125422.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 115

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Waiting to see the King with Mendieta Jr, listening to some insane live jazz at a bar. Life is good

View attachment 25681

Update: King Crimson was amazing. I wissh some of you drumheads would have been there. This formation is percussive in nature, with four drummers (only three playing at the Fox, I don't think there was room for a fourth set).

The winds player was phenomenal, and Fripp his usual genius.

The level at which these folks play is simply not human. I describe it as organized chaos. My son simply couldn't describe it in words.

Is Adrian missed? Heck, yes. The guy at the lead guitar is technically great, but doesn't have Adrian's magic, either with the guitar or at the vocals. But he fit real well with The Court of the Crimson King, my favorite song of the gig.

All in all, great time together with my boy. Unforgettable.

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Death of the electric guitar; This is an interesting article about the recent woes of the guitar-making industry.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...story-a:homepage/story&utm_term=.50b6617ff3fd

It's a little bit reminiscent of the flat ski market and how an industry hopes to get younger generations to embrace something the way older generations did. You'll never guess who the author postulates as the new, young guitar hero needed to spur instrument sales upward!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Death of the electric guitar; This is an interesting article about the recent woes of the guitar-making industry.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/lifestyle/the-slow-secret-death-of-the-electric-guitar/?hpid=hp_no-name_graphic-story-a:homepage/story&utm_term=.50b6617ff3fd

It's a little bit reminiscent of the flat ski market and how an industry hopes to get younger generations to embrace something the way older generations did. You'll never guess who the author postulates as the new, young guitar hero needed to spur instrument sales upward!

It looks like it's a subscriber only article, Jim. Too bad, since it seemed interesting. Who is the new hero? I just saw Fripp, nobody takes him away from me :)

AH, found it somewhere else
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/ent...ret-death-of-the-electric-guitar-11239682.php

Taylor swift. Wow.

How about Matt Bellamy (Muse). That dude can rock. I used to think of them as a 'shallow pop band', until I actually listened to a full album. That guy will rock his guitar (and piano, and vocals).

On the guitar side, the interesting thing is that he has a bunch of effects on the guitar, and they really sound like digital effects. That's not my cup of tea, the effects themselves. But my son _loves_ that sound, and is not allergic to electronic stuff like I am :)

So, that's another route. Embracing that kind of thing. I just LOVE the sound of analog, but 10 pedals will cost you $500 to $1000, and _one_ digital pedal will emulate 500 pedals. Food for thought :)

Last edited:

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As the article alludes to there are a zillion manufacturers of electric guitars these days from really high quality to really cheap crap. The big brands and models such as Fender Stratocaster, Gibson Les Paul are diluted to because they make many, many different sub-models at different price points. I recently played a $200 Fender Squire Strat (Squire is Fender's "student" line) I remarked to the sales guy that the guitar had no business playing and sounding as good as it did - really good - at that price.

I know a lot of guys around my age (older) that have way more guitars than they can play... I'm talking like 100 - 300 guitars. They are mostly vintage and are holding on to them as collectors and as investments. I think the vintage guitars will hold their value. Hope so - I have one guitar teacher friend I play with who cashed in his IRA and bought a whole lot of guitars back in 2008 when the market crashed.

I agree that their are no real guitar heroes these days and even it there were, kids have moved on to things like video games. When I was a teenager most of my buddies played guitar and we hung out jamming and trading licks. Now they hang out online and trade hacks.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
These days much of the material, even the avante garde eclectic stuff is canned down to click tracks, but with looping options to add some flexibility. I know a kid who plays in minor touring bands and works for not so minor metal and punk bands as a guitar tech. They hardly ever have to touch their effects pedals because it's all pre programmed in perfect time with the clicks.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Speaking of touring, been on the summer vacay since last Friday. No drums, no skateboards, could have actually used skis if I had a way to bring that gear. I did get to fish some. Caught zip but that's not important, almost everything good isn't in season out here yet.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
-

When you feel frisky change V1 to a better tube, maybe a Tung Sol reissue 12ax7

That'll do!

-
...please, no New Sensor Corp tubes! High failure rate and to my ears don't sound so great.

If you want new production I would strongly recommend Psvane 12AX7 T (treasury series) or TJ Full Music or Sophia (same factory as TJ Full Music basically the same tube). I have Pavane EL84 T tubes and they are very nice. I also like my Sophia 300B Royal Princess and my Sophia 45 triode tubes. The current production "reissue" tubes under New Sensor corp that I've used have been crap.

Bear in mind I'm coming at this from a audiophile's POV and although I only play the stereo, and may come off as someone who OD'ed on Vacuum Tube Valley magazine, my musician friends are in complete agreement with me wrt tube choice.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
...please, no New Sensor Corp tubes! High failure rate and to my ears don't sound so great.

If you want new production I would strongly recommend Psvane 12AX7 T (treasury series) or TJ Full Music or Sophia (same factory as TJ Full Music basically the same tube). I have Pavane EL84 T tubes and they are very nice. I also like my Sophia 300B Royal Princess and my Sophia 45 triode tubes. The current production "reissue" tubes under New Sensor corp that I've used have been crap.

Bear in mind I'm coming at this from a audiophile's POV and although I only play the stereo, and may come off as someone who OD'ed on Vacuum Tube Valley magazine, my musician friends are in complete agreement with me wrt tube choice.

Thanks, I'll probably check some of those out. I got the Tung Sol, it sounds great for what I like to do, which is driving it with an analog distortion pedal, and adding some reverb for soloing. The Tung Sol is perhaps slightly noisy when driven, but I think it's because it has a lot more gain than the one originally installed on the Super Champ. Cheers!

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
As the article alludes to there are a zillion manufacturers of electric guitars these days from really high quality to really cheap crap. The big brands and models such as Fender Stratocaster, Gibson Les Paul are diluted to because they make many, many different sub-models at different price points. I recently played a $200 Fender Squire Strat (Squire is Fender's "student" line) I remarked to the sales guy that the guitar had no business playing and sounding as good as it did - really good - at that price.

I know a lot of guys around my age (older) that have way more guitars than they can play... I'm talking like 100 - 300 guitars. They are mostly vintage and are holding on to them as collectors and as investments. I think the vintage guitars will hold their value. Hope so - I have one guitar teacher friend I play with who cashed in his IRA and bought a whole lot of guitars back in 2008 when the market crashed.

I agree that their are no real guitar heroes these days and even it there were, kids have moved on to things like video games. When I was a teenager most of my buddies played guitar and we hung out jamming and trading licks. Now they hang out online and trade hacks.

Tried a Classic Vibe 50's blackguard Tele yet?

Yum!

Only thing needed is upgraded pots and jack....rock solid tone monster otherwise.

I've had way over 20 guitars in the house in the past btw but I am firmly committed to a limit of 6 electrics now....and super happy with the current quiver.....no GAS at the moment, zero.

I would like to assemble my own 72 Thinline tho, I have collected a few special parts....want to build a replica of the LPB Thinline played by Phil X in his youTube video. I would use Lollar WRHB's and 500K pots....

$4K for a vintage one which might be junk is silly....I could build what I want for $1300

Last edited:

hrstrat57

Skis guitars Mustangs
Skier
It looks like it's a subscriber only article, Jim. Too bad, since it seemed interesting. Who is the new hero? I just saw Fripp, nobody takes him away from me :)

AH, found it somewhere else
http://www.houstonchronicle.com/ent...ret-death-of-the-electric-guitar-11239682.php

Taylor swift. Wow.

How about Matt Bellamy (Muse). That dude can rock. I used to think of them as a 'shallow pop band', until I actually listened to a full album. That guy will rock his guitar (and piano, and vocals).

On the guitar side, the interesting thing is that he has a bunch of effects on the guitar, and they really sound like digital effects. That's not my cup of tea, the effects themselves. But my son _loves_ that sound, and is not allergic to electronic stuff like I am :)

So, that's another route. Embracing that kind of thing. I just LOVE the sound of analog, but 10 pedals will cost you $500 to $1000, and _one_ digital pedal will emulate 500 pedals. Food for thought :)

Check out the new 'Headrush' when is hits your local GC.

disclaimer, I have a family member working for the company - but amazing...takes Line 6 Helix on square and hangs with Kemper just fine! Only the Comm Ave GC has it in NE at this point.....the one near Berklee.....

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Added a couple more ornaments to the kit. Gotta work the space as decor when the drums are sitting in the corner of the living room and home theater. Might change the theme from time to time but currently Star Wars Dark Side bwahahaha!
19679185_1730198400329024_371412451946225696_o.jpg

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
That's the same Sabian B8 pack I had on the gig kit I donated to my old church. Nice value cymbal that sounds decent and takes a beating.

Large Squirrel

a.k.a. guitar73
Skier
there are some nice pics in this thread. i'll have to get on the ball and put up some of my stuff (not that i have a lot anyways). anyhow, jimmy page was a huge influence on me as i was learning to play guitar in HS. i came across this collection of B-sides/out takes/live performances on YouTube entitled "LED ZEPPELIN - The Lost Album 2017 (FULL ALBUM HD)".. the quality of the recordings is variable, but i dig the music. below is a link to the YouTube page if anyone cares to check it out.

rpk4dotcom

More Retro memories????
Skier
That's the same Sabian B8 pack I had on the gig kit I donated to my old church. Nice value cymbal that sounds decent and takes a beating.

The kit was given to me by a friend who worked at a property management company. Seems a renter left it behind when he skipped town. The cymbals it came with were obvious crap so I had to get something so any drummer that might sit in would at least have something of better quality. I remember buying it because of the free AAX crash.

Sponsor

Staff online