• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

MTB Wrenching

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
New bleed kit just arrived. As a guy who had summer jobs in bike shops, but circa 1980, before there were MTBs, let alone hydraulic brakes, these instructions left something to be desired. ;)

Yes, I know I can Google, but I did think this was amusing.

20170508_203419-01.jpeg

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The box has Hope written on it. HOPE you do it correctly!

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
SRAM has everything on their web site anda great youtube channel.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Actually I have Formulas, but yes, I know there are resources. Thanks.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I know people just grind off the face of a 26mm socket to keep it from camming off the very thin alloy nut on the top of a fork. But I don't even OWN a 26mm socket. (Kind of a big nut.) In the past I have very carefully used a wrench and always ended up dinging up the soft alloy a bit. So splurged for my new-to-me bike and bought a no-chamfer socket. Removed an air spacer in 3 min. :)

20170603_113716-01.jpeg
20170603_103545-01.jpeg

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
It's nice that it has those little holes on the corners. Mine doesn't and it wants to mar the points.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
It's nice that it has those little holes on the corners. Mine doesn't and it wants to mar the points.

It's interesting to me that while Amazon puts lots of small businesses out of commission (think local bookstores), it actually provides new opportunities for others. This thing appears have been sent from some guy's garage in New Mexico.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I just grinded mine. There was no easy way of getting no-chamfer one, unless you were ready to wait for weeks for shop to order them (and pay A LOT). Doesn't look that nice as yours, but still works fine :)
One of reason why I hate Sram with passion is lack of their (on-line) service manuals. For my bike it's no big deal as I have Shimano, but my wife's bike has Sram and I would need to fix few things, but no idea where to even start :) So if you don't mind, is there chance to send me link where they do have real service manuals (Shimano has web with all, service, user and dealer manuals freely available). I, and especially my wife, would be eternally grateful if I could get rid of weird noise in her BB :D

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I just grinded mine. There was no easy way of getting no-chamfer one, unless you were ready to wait for weeks for shop to order them (and pay A LOT). Doesn't look that nice as yours, but still works fine :)

One of reason why I hate Sram with passion is lack of their (on-line) service manuals. For my bike it's no big deal as I have Shimano, but my wife's bike has Sram and I would need to fix few things, but no idea where to even start :) So if you don't mind, is there chance to send me link where they do have real service manuals (Shimano has web with all, service, user and dealer manuals freely available). I, and especially my wife, would be eternally grateful if I could get rid of weird noise in her BB :D

Have you checked Sram's website? They even have videos on how to do most jobs.

Sponsor

Staff online