• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mountain biking TR: Trek Dirt Series at Park City

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
About

The Trek Dirt Series runs camps throughout the western half of the US and Canada. It started as a camp specifically for women; these days, a few are co-ed. The coaches drive to the camp locations with a ton of pre-built obstacles - some drops, a jump, elevated wooden features, a teeter totter … all sorts of fun stuff. Some camps have the option of lift-serviced riding; others are trail only. As with many events designed to get women more involved with outdoor activities, there are a lot of great sponsors to make the event even more effective and fun. They bring demo bikes, armor, helmets, flat pedals, and shoes for attendees to try. There’s also usually a raffle with nice prizes.

So here’s how it goes. You sign up, and they send you a questionnaire designed to figure out your interests and ability level. Based on that information, they assemble small lesson groups - 6ish people. Skill drills in the mornings; trail ride in the afternoons. Lunch is provided. On the first day, they determine which skills you’ll learn/practice. On the second day, you get to choose your skills. Each skill group typically has two instructors - a coach, plus an assistant or volunteer.

This was my third Dirt Series camp. My first two were at Winter Park, Colorado in 2011 and 2012. I wanted to brush up on my atrophied technical skills this year, but they didn’t have a Winter Park option. Instead, I chose Park City, Utah. This was a women’s only camp, and all coaches, assistants, and volunteers were women.

I’ll focus on describing my experience first, then may loop back and talk in detail about skills in a later post.

Day One
We met at our host shop, Storm Cycles. People got their demo gear sorted, drank coffee, ate breakfast, signed in, and were given group assignments. We were also encouraged to grab handfuls of snack sized Clif and Luna bars. Then we headed to Trailside Elementary to start the clinic.

The entire day was brutally hot and sunny. The elementary school had no shade except for a handful of trees under which we clustered for lunch. All drills were in full sun, and I was extremely grateful that the grass had been watered overnight - even though it made pedaling a bit harder.

Intro

To start with, we split into two large (15-20 person) groups. One of the coaches talked about proper bike helmet fit, including the adjustment of the straps that go around your ears. She went through some basics to check before each ride - ABCDHQ. Air (tire pressure), Brakes, Chain/Drivetrain, Headset/Handlebars, and Quick Release skewer. She also talked a bit about post-ride bike maintenance - wiping down stanchions, cleaning the drivetrain, that sort of thing.

Then we split into groups based on our answers to the questionnaire. Attendees ranged from people who’d never ridden a mountain bike before (!) to experienced riders.

My group started out with some generic basics - ready position, getting forward and back, leaning the bike, and turning without using the handlebars.

Coach demo:

Assistant demo:

Each group had two sessions before lunch. Our group’s first session covered drops and dynamic riding. The second session covered front and rear wheel lifts.

Session One - Drops and Dynamic Riding

A drop, we learned, is not the same as a roll-down. A drop is when the front tire stays level with the back tire, so that the front and rear tires both drop at the same time. This allows you to ride obstacles too tall to roll down. In practice, this means pushing the handlebars forward at just the right moment. When I do this, I always seem to add a little “bounce” (shock loading) just before the push, and consequently my body position isn’t as low as it should be. My coach on day one tried to get me not to bounce, without success; my coach on day two said not to worry about it.

After practicing drops on the small and medium features (I’m guessing 4” and 8”), we moved on to dynamic riding. We didn’t have much time left for that - literally eight minutes, including the coach demo. They had some wooden features built to resemble a pump track roller. We practiced actively using our bodies rather than just letting the bike happen to us.

Session Two - Wheel Lifts
Quick bio break, then on to the next session - wheel lifts. We practiced lifting the front wheel using shock loading; lifting using pedal pushes; and then lifting the rear wheel. We were all riding with flat pedals - some for the first time - so there were a lot of questions, especially about the rear wheel lift. For each of these skills, we first practiced without any obstacle, then lined up to practice on half-logs. I could do all of these techniques when just riding around on the grass, but I struggled to time them correctly for an obstacle. Or I would time it right, but stare at the log, which prevented my front wheel from lifting much. I just need to practice a lot so that I have confidence in the motion and the timing.

We had an hour for lunch, which also gave the staff time to pack up the obstacles and do some last minute group shuffling. The lunch was catered by a local restaurant, and there were GF and vegetarian options. One of our sponsors provided juice boxes and teas.

Afternoon Trail Ride

Did I mention it was crazy hot? I had hoped for a shady ride, but no dice. The breeze flirted with us a bit - but for the most part, we baked. I had extreme reservations about how much my climbing speed (or lack thereof) would impact the group, but the ride leader asked me to trust her and stick with it. We started at the Bad Apple trailhead and rode up Fink Again. The climb was gradual, and we stopped a few times to discuss tackling uphill switchbacks. I’m pretty confident and competent with these, so it was a nice ego boost. In between those discussions, the rest of the ladies pretty much climbed in a bunch ahead of me. I trundled along at my own pace, chatting with the sweep. Once or twice, someone in the peleton (heh) biffed on a rock, and the whole train would derail. Because I was farther back, I wasn’t affected and could clear it without human obstacles. Apparently, there *is* an advantage in being slower than the group.

On the way down the trail 24/7, we focused on downhill switchbacks. There was an acronym I don’t remember. Basically, you turn your head (look where you want to go), then turn your shoulders, then do a hip check. In practice, it’s all one movement.

Then there was a shortish climb. The sweep had gone ahead to point out the intersection, so the coach came back to ride behind me as I made my way up the hill. She complimented me on my line choice, and I told her that when you’re as slow as I am, you have to pick good lines. But whatever the reason, it’s true - I do have an eye for good lines.

Then the next section - Drop Out. It had lots of switchbacks and a couple of opportunities to take drops. They were completely optional and rollable, and if left to my own devices, I would certainly have taken the path of least resistance, riding around them. Instead, we discussed them in detail and sessioned them. The first one was the trickier one - it had some rocks in the landing, and the trail curved to the left just below. I dropped it successfully a few times, but the front wheel wasn’t as high up as I’d have liked - I was staring at the rocks below instead of looking ahead. The second drop was a cleaner landing with less to think about, so it was easier to keep my wheel level.

First drop:
IMG_6412.JPG

(I did better on subsequent attempts)

Second drop:
IMG_6453.JPG

Storm Cycles

After the full day of lessons and trail rides, we regrouped at Storm Cycles for pizza (including gluten free and dairy free options!). There were supposed to be clinics on bike maintenance, shock setup, stuff like that - but I wasn’t feeling great, so I headed home for the night.

That’s day one! Stay tuned for day two!

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Awesome description! I've ridden most of those trails and what a great location for the camp! Enjoy day 2!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Awesome description! I've ridden most of those trails and what a great location for the camp! Enjoy day 2!

Day two was Sunday, but I'm just now writing it up! I've been pretty busy.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My wife did a Dirt Series a few years ago. Couldn't say enough good stuff about it.

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Day 2

At the end of the first day, we had the opportunity to pick our preferred classes for the next morning. For the most part, these were the same possibilities as day one - each group had done two of the classes, and you could take them again, or you could take a class you hadn't yet taken. Additionally, there were two new all-morning classes - “Intro to DH” and “DH Progression.” Coach Erin encouraged us to choose one of those, which of course I would have wanted to do, anyway. Given that I’ve done a fair amount of downhill already, and that “DH Progression” listed jumps, I picked “DH Progression.”

In the morning, I learned that I was in “Intro to DH.” I was disappointed. I suspected we would spend a lot of time working on things I already knew how to do. And, yes, my ego definitely played a role in my disappointment.

Then we had the raffle. There were several items donated by sponsors. We could put our name into the drawing for any one of these items. There were Smith ChromaPop sunglasses, a Smith Rover helmet (like mine, but bright green - drat, that would have been cool!), a set of Maxxis tires, a voucher for a pair of 5.10 shoes, some Dakine gear (purse and shirt, I think), beer (I think Oskar Blues), and a whole lot of Kicking Horse coffee. We also each got a coupon code for an order from the Smith website.

After poking around, I put my name in for the sunglasses. And shockingly - I won! They’re really nice, but I haven’t tried them yet in mixed light conditions - just unrelenting sunshine. They came with a “platinum” lens and a rose tinted one.

A4eA3uP.jpg

(I've since adjusted the nose piece)

We drove to the elementary school fields again and started out with a few minutes of light yoga and stretching. Then we joined our groups. I was still miffed about my group assignment, even though I liked the people in my group. We were directed to the grassy hill at the side of the field, and I worried that I would miss out on the Trailside Bike Park and on practicing jumps. At the same time, my knee wasn’t the happiest, and I didn’t know how much I’d be able to ride, anyway.

Braking
Coach Corie went through the effects of braking with your front brake vs your rear brake, and the importance of actually using your front brake when you’re braking with the rear so that you don’t just skid. We practiced modulating speed while riding down the slope and then braking hard at the bottom to stop. I tried my best to stay engaged, but I had Bike Park on the brain, and I worried that we would spend all our time on the portable features rather than playing on the drops and jumps in the park. Fortunately, I was wrong about that. Some of the people in my group were gushing about learning to use the front brake for the first time, and what a difference it made to their riding. I was happy for them, but it definitely made me wonder how much I’d get out of the day’s lesson.

It occurs to me, belatedly, that all of the brake work might just be part of every class that goes to the bike park. They probably just want to make sure everybody is on the same page, rather than making assumptions.

Descending Dismount

I found plenty to engage me with the next skill, which was the descending dismount. Look, lean, put your foot down and get clear. I thought I knew how to get off of a bike just fine, but when I had to think about the process, it all fell apart. In fact, I held my longest track stand ever, effortlessly - just trying to remember the order and choose a side.

I could dismount easily if I didn’t think about the process, but then I did it wrong. In order to do it properly, you have to be all the way back behind the saddle. This allows you to let go of the bike if necessary, rather than letting it take you down with it. Unfortunately, I have years of muscle memory telling me that when I stop, I get forward before dismounting. I couldn’t break the habit. I’d be going down the hill wayyy far back, but the moment I stopped, my hips came forward. I never did get it right, so there’s something I definitely need to work on. I found that if your pedals are level, it’s much easier to dismount on the side where the foot is back at 9 o’clock.

Bike Park!!

And after working on that bail-out move - we finally made it to the bike park!

sn948lG.jpg

For more info: http://basinrecreation.org/trailside_bike_park.html#top

This, by the way, is a really sweet bike park - I hate to say it, but I think it's probably bigger and full of more advanced features than the Valmont Bike Park in Boulder.

First stop, the pump track, apparently called “Unga Bunga” on the map. With lots of people on it, including a couple of tiny tots on striders. So we practiced in shifts and attempted to dodge unpredictable toddlers who don't pay any attention when you ask to pass. Nothing new there for me, but hey - pump tracks are fun! I started getting some mojo and feeling good. I also ate some pickle spears, which garnered me some odd looks. Electrolytes FTW.

Next, on to a fun little section of switchbacks and pump opportunities, along with a few baby tabletops. “Yabba Dabba Doo” on the map. We talked through the first couple of switchbacks, and then the moment we had the opportunity to ride - off I went. I explained to the coach later that I’m a slow climber, so I might as well ride down first to give myself more time to ride back up to the top. Which is true, but also, I was just itching to ride. We rode through it several times, and I gained speed and confidence with each run. I wanted to get air, so I asked about the proper technique for jumps. The answer? CPR. Crouch, Press, Release. Timing, of course, is everything. As with drops, you just have to keep at it until you have the instinct for it.

5NoWdA0.jpg

Then on to the drops, which were in the leftmost part of “Bedrock” on the map. There were three wooden drops just a few inches off the ground, perfect for practice. Honestly not much different from the portable features we’d been riding the day before, except that these were on dirt and the wooden approach was longer. So we sessioned one of the drops. I started getting pretty comfortable.

kMs6l0e.jpg

As we sessioned the drop, we walked right up a couple of rock gardens. One was the type where the entire surface is made up of embedded rocks with lots of different shapes sticking out. If you looked closely, there was a nice line. The other was more of a steep drop-in followed by another steep rock face. As I repeatedly walked up them, I went from “Wow, those look gnarly” to “Hey, wait - I can totally ride these.” And so, after checking to make sure the coach didn’t mind, I rode down the first one. And then shortly thereafter, I rode down the second one. I didn’t try to drop either of them - just rolled. The second one definitely required getting your butt way back - or at least, as far back as I ever get. Wish I had a picture to see. The other ladies observed and encouraged, but did not partake.

After working on the wooden drop for a while, coach Corie asked if we wanted to take on something a little harder. We rode just past the wooden drop area and discovered a little mini-trail with a rock drop. It was a lot more intimidating than the wooden features - from above, it looked huge, like it could have been an eight foot free fall. But as we approached, we saw that it was just a trick of the way the trail dropped away - the actual rock was only a little bit taller than what we’d been doing. Corie made clear that we didn’t have to do it, of course. But I was sure I could, and that I'd regret it if I didn't. Due to my obvious eagerness, I had become the de facto first rider. Everyone was waiting for me to go, so I took a deep breath and rode for it. But I was nervous, so I went more slowly than I’d planned and just rolled it. After that, though, I had more confidence and dropped it like a champ.

PwIO4Om.jpg

After that, we headed back and stopped at the first rock garden I’d ridden earlier. Corie talked us through how you’d ride it. She also pointed out that you can use a press/release move, sort of a mini front wheel lift, to lighten the front of the bike going into a rock garden - especially useful if you’re approaching slowly. So we rode the rock garden. The second time, I decided to go straight down from the rock garden through to the drop. Corie began to yell some instruction to me, but gave up as I zoomed past her to ride through. I do wish I knew what she’d said, but it was pretty fun actually linking the two sections.

Next, Corie had wanted us to do one of the actual park runs (the stuff in the upper left of the map), but we didn’t have time. Instead, we went to the “Tar Pits” - jump lines! Here, I had a lot more opportunities to practice the CPR maneuver. I started on the smaller line, then eventually graduated to the larger one. Much fun! I do need to work on landing without getting thrown forward a little bit. (Any suggestions? Just crouch lower and get back more?) But it was lunch time, so we took one more run down the switchback route and headed out.

Now, I’d mentally checked in with my knee a few times that morning. It felt great, no pain at all, so I figured that all the movement must have loosened it up. But once I stopped for food and sat down on the grass, I realized that I’d managed to mask the pain with enthusiasm. My knee hurt. Not just a little bit. I debated with myself, but ultimately decided that it would be stupid to do the afternoon trail ride. Best case, I’d be in more pain. Worst case, I would mess up a drop and hurt myself. So I dejectedly told the ride organizer that I would see them at Boneyard for the wrap up party that evening. Plus side - I took a shower and got out of my sweaty clothes before socializing.

Okay, “party” is overstating it. We were all there, and more or less in the same area, the way these things usually go. A rep from She Jumps raffled off some swag. Several women were excitedly chattering about the badass drop they did. I saw pictures. It was indeed badass. Maybe 2.5 or 3 feet. I experienced feelings, even though I knew I’d made the right decision. I talked to Corie a bit, who pointed out that one of the women had actually fallen pretty badly. She said to focus on getting confident on low drops, then gradually work my way up as they became second nature. I didn’t have to do a three foot drop right away. I also thought that maybe, even if I hadn’t been ready for that drop, I might have felt compelled to ride it because other people did - and gotten hurt. Ego.

Overall, even though I had felt slighted because I was in the “intro” group, I am very happy with how the day progressed. While I typically like to be pushed pretty hard, it was fun to be so confident and to have fellow students look to me to go first. I had lots of much-needed opportunity to practice my skills, I felt challenged, and I did get to work on jumps and rock gardens. For some reason, everything just clicked for me. I probably wouldn't have had the same confidence if I'd been pushed more. We all have “on” days and “off” days - on the park day, I was so “on,” I felt invincible. In fact, one of the women from my morning group said something like, “I don’t know what got into you - you were riding so smoothly, and jumping, and even when you didn’t take jumps, you were so in control!” It made me happy. Downhill is fun.

For what it’s worth, my knee still hurts, but it’s getting better every day. It may be related to my weakened hip, which I’m supposed to be strengthening *koff*. I put a lot of stress on my knees - I rode all of the downhill stuff with my saddle down, and I definitely pedaled uphill a few times without bothering to raise the saddle. Loading to pump, loading to jump, getting back and pushing the front of the bike for a drop - all of it put more load on my knees than trail riding. Riding with flats on features just innately means that you put a lot of weight in your legs. But it was SO. DAMN. FUN.

I’m thinking of doing the lift-oriented Dirt Series in Angel Fire in mid-September, knee be damned. I’ve heard really good things about it, and it would be a nice follow-on to this clinic.

Oh, one thing I forgot to note about dropping vs rolling - dropping is so much smoother. When you do it right, it just feels like there wasn't anything there to drop in the first place. For that reason, I'm definitely going to keep working on drops, even for ledges I could easily roll.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm so so SO bummed I couldn't join you for this!
Maybe next year...
Hope the knee is feeling better!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I hope to go next year, and my aunt claims she's going to join me ...

My knee is "better," but not back to pre-clinic states. Sadly, this *probably* (definitely, if I'm smart) means I should avoid the Angel Fire clinic in September =/ On the plus side, it reduces my self-induced "need" for a 170mm bike this year.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I hope to go next year, and my aunt claims she's going to join me ...

My knee is "better," but not back to pre-clinic states. Sadly, this *probably* (definitely, if I'm smart) means I should avoid the Angel Fire clinic in September =/ On the plus side, it reduces my self-induced "need" for a 170mm bike this year.
:(

But hey, saving money for more skis, right?!

TS
Monique

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
:(

But hey, saving money for more skis, right?!

LOL!

I do want a long travel bike to complement my SB5, so no, no skis!