• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I can't afford a nice FS and wondered if anyone had anything to advise. Used FS off Craigslist? I'm in the 600+- range.

At this price point, I'd buy the best 29er or 27.5+ hardtail I could find.

Lightly used, or a "leftover", nicely priced new 2017 model right now might be the call.

I'm lightly sponsored by Trek, but at your budget level, I'd encourage you to emphasize components, and ignore brand names.

Have fun building trails. Put twice as many corners in as you think you need!

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Does XC riding go off the top? I was looking at the map wondering if you could do long lift accessed endure-light, but didn't see anything.

I hear you about the armor, I terrified myself with a long unintentional stoppie (<--- stupid autocorrect) in the Killington bike park yesterday, saved it, but yikes! I actually wonder how much armor can really help with the serious injuries though. I mean if you land on an outstretched arm, no armor that I know of will keep you from snapping a wrist or separating your shoulder. Wad it up on the rocks in Wine Tree, and the armor could help a lot!

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I hear you about the armor, I terrified myself with a long unintentional steppe in the Killington bike park yesterday, saved it, but yikes! I actually wonder how much armor can really help with the serious injuries though. I mean if you land on an outstretched arm, no armor that I know of will keep you from snapping a wrist or separating your shoulder. Wad it up on the rocks in Wine Tree, and the armor could help a lot!

Yeah, but you can do a lot of damage to yourself on XC trails, too. Mountain biking is inherently dangerous.

RachelV

I run TheSkiDiva.com and work at OpenSnow.
Ski Diva Tester
... I can't afford a nice FS and wondered if anyone had anything to advise. Used FS off Craigslist? I'm in the 600+- range. ...

So, full, disclosure, I work for REI, but they're in the process of totally re-doing their in-house bike line and the bikes are really pretty nice at their price points. There are women's version of both, too, if that geometry is a better fit for you.
https://www.rei.com/product/106331/co-op-cycles-drt-11-bike-2017
https://www.rei.com/product/106336/co-op-cycles-drt-12-bike-2017

I do agree with @Tom K. that if you have the patience to find the right deal & go used you'll probably end up with better components.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does XC riding go off the top? I was looking at the map wondering if you could do long lift accessed endure-light, but didn't see anything.

I

Yes it does have xc trails off the top. When we were there last summer we rode about 3.5 miles of loops off of the top and the trails definitely connected to more but we did not want to go too far off map as we had limited time. Nothing was super techy but it was fun.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
So, full, disclosure, I work for REI, but they're in the process of totally re-doing their in-house bike line and the bikes are really pretty nice at their price points. There are women's version of both, too, if that geometry is a better fit for you.
https://www.rei.com/product/106331/co-op-cycles-drt-11-bike-2017
https://www.rei.com/product/106336/co-op-cycles-drt-12-bike-2017

I do agree with @Tom K. that if you have the patience to find the right deal & go used you'll probably end up with better components.

Thank you for the links. I have an REI card and have shopped there for years. I'll check them out.

fullStack

Getting on the lift
Skier
I've been enjoying everyone's ride pics so I thought I'd post a shot of the typical shenanigans from western Washington. (I still can't make it *up* this thing - hence the photo op. Also, shortly after this photo was taken, I broke a seat rail, prompting @skichickee to make certain comments about my recent consumption of tacos, etc. Rude!!)

0816171749.jpg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I own that stand, too.

LIke 25 years old, right?!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Cleanliness is very important for reliable shifting. Grime and gunk on the chain, cogs and chainring(s) causes nothing but trouble. Get in a routine. Mine takes about 5 minutes. Hose with low water pressure, brush while running water over the area being brushed, then lube. My brush was designed to be attached to a hose and have water run out the bristles. It has broken so now I have to use a hand for the hose and a hand for the brush, but it gets the job done.

Is this a special brush purchased at a bike shop? Being in a routine of cleaning my road bike is easier because I often ride locally, but I have to drive to mountain bike. I know it's important, but by the time I get back home there is so much to do :).

This is the brush I use. You can see where the handle hose fitting has broken and I tried to upgrade it but failed. The water used to flow out through the bristles. I didn't use the hose in the pictures to help you see the brush better. Any brush that has fairly stiff bristles in a small head that get get into places in the frame would work.

Just run the hose a low pressure, not much more than a dribble and do to town with this brush. I run water over the cogs as I brush the chain and cogs.

20170814_160502_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

20170814_160510_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

The cogs will spin back a bit each time I brush so the entire cog set gets cleaned up.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is the brush I use. You can see where the handle hose fitting has broken and I tried to upgrade it but failed. The water used to flow out through the bristles. I didn't use the hose in the pictures to help you see the brush better. Any brush that has fairly stiff bristles in a small head that get get into places in the frame would work.

Just run the hose a low pressure, not much more than a dribble and do to town with this brush. I run water over the cogs as I brush the chain and cogs.

View attachment 28102

View attachment 28101
The cogs will spin back a bit each time I brush so the entire cog set gets cleaned up.
Thank you, I will try to find something like this. I've always used a hose (also low pressure) and rags. Your way seems easier. I need to get a stand too.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Thank you, I will try to find something like this. I've always used a hose (also low pressure) and rags. Your way seems easier. I need to get a stand too.

I got a Brush Hero, and the bristles aren't as long as Doug's brush, but it seems to work really well for getting gunk out of the drivetrain. https://brushhero.com/

And yes, the stand is a game changer. I don't wash my bike on a stand (we have a lovely tree out front on which to lean a bike, and hey, the grass likes water), but for even the smallest bit of maintenance, it's *so* much easier.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got a Brush Hero, and the bristles aren't as long as Doug's brush, but it seems to work really well for getting gunk out of the drivetrain. https://brushhero.com/

And yes, the stand is a game changer. I don't wash my bike on a stand (we have a lovely tree out front on which to lean a bike, and hey, the grass likes water), but for even the smallest bit of maintenance, it's *so* much easier.
I just wish I could ride with a stand for when I have a rear wheel flat while I'm riding!

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Went to a downhill park (Trestle) for the first time last weekend. That was fun. Mostly flowy stuff rather than techy. Even managed avoid hurting ourselves.

Then, today on our weekly post-work ride my buddy got worked. Luckily I had a beer at the trailhead to help him shake it off a bit.
20842052_10103214351525914_2353520107359372679_n.jpg