• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That was our third lap. We got half day tickets and probably rode for about 3 hours. Wish it was closer!

We rode there last summer. Fun!

You have Killington and Burke closer to you for lift served. I have been to both several years ago. I am wondering if they have updated their trails to designs similar to Thunder Mtn's? I remember Burke being fast and bermy and Killington being typical New England rocky, rooty singletrack with a few little wooden ramps and bridges.

Last edited:

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Rode yesterday afternoon at Thunder Mountain (Berkshire East). Here's a run following the kid down Hawleywood. Actually, Hawleywood starts at the 2 minute mark, I'm not sure what the trail that brings us off the top is called.

I've got the same helmet as the kid! Purchase from Steep and Cheap last year?

My husband makes fun of it, but it was a killer deal....plus...red cheetah print!?! Yes, please.

Photo from Burke Mtn this past weekend...(no photos of me wearing it, as I'm generally the one behind the lens)

IMG_6251.JPG

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Rode yesterday afternoon at Thunder Mountain (Berkshire East). Here's a run following the kid down Hawleywood. Actually, Hawleywood starts at the 2 minute mark, I'm not sure what the trail that brings us off the top is called.

Sleeping Jakes was the blue run above Hawleywood. Hope you guys has a good time on the Hill. This is my home mountain, I work there as a Patroller and mid summer I get 2-3 days in a week at T-Mountain. Your daughter did a great job on Hawley wood ! (Though, get her neck brace and some armor already..seriosuoly, all of our significant clean ups are on Hawleywood and Gronk!). I'm laid up for the rest of the season (recent knee surgery...not related to any injury) or I'd say if any Pugskiers hit T-Mountain, let me know, I'd love to ride with visitors and first timers. Personally, I think we have the most diverse offerings in the east (and this Fall Gravity Logic returns to expand those offerings again!). They've been working on building new, enduro trails on the far east side of the mountain for the upcoming EWS event so that's something to keep an eye out for as well.

The place skis pretty damn well, too.

Good video

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
It has been a long time since I had a bike and I can't afford much. Looking at a new Rockhopper hardtail 29'er. 100mm Suntour fork, Altus shifting and Shimano Hydraulics and hubs. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/men/bikes/mountain/trail/rockhopper-29/115566

My last bike was a Fisher Advance, 26 hardtail, and I really liked it. Stolen in 2004. 13 years, no bike. I can't afford a nice FS and wondered if anyone had anything to advise. Used FS off Craigslist? I'm in the 600+- range. I have hilly acreage in my yard with dropoffs and ability to make a killer track. Only other thing I can think of is doing some lift served rides but not a whole lot since its 5 hours away. I appreciate any and all input.

edit....then there's this...http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/dawes/650b-27.5-bikes-roundhouse-2750.htm

Last edited:

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
What are the trails like locally for you?

You could keep an eye out on CL and local Facebook groups for something used. Alot of people don't like the bikes direct bikes but to me they seem like a great deal if you're gonna buy new and are spec'd out well. Its a good option for your price point. ...I would stick with hardtails whatever you decide if sticking close to 600$.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Alot of people don't like the bikes direct bikes but to me they seem like a great deal

With a tight budget, used may be the best choice. It just comes with the risk that you may be buying a bike that was used pretty badly. Someone backed over my bike years ago, then pulled forward over it, and you couldn't tell unless you looked for very specific and small paint wrinkles in critical spots. I would NOT ride that thing on a trail.

I happen to be selling an older 26er size small mountain bike, currently asking just shy of $1k ...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
With a tight budget, used may be the best choice. It just comes with the risk that you may be buying a bike that was used pretty badly. Someone backed over my bike years ago, then pulled forward over it, and you couldn't tell unless you looked for very specific and small paint wrinkles in critical spots. I would NOT ride that thing on a trail.

I happen to be selling an older 26er size small mountain bike, currently asking just shy of $1k ...

To be clear - NOT the one that got run over!!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Uhh Yeah sureogwink

It's obvious you're not in sales:roflmao:

Oh, god, the amount of money I've lost by being entirely too honest, forthright, and unable to sell a load of horseshit ...

But seriously, I would never sell a bike I knew to be damaged. I just know that's not how a lot of people operate.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Thanks all for the input. A 26 small won't work, unfortunately. I looked at my craigs and nearby, found nothing. Not in a hurry.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Thanks all for the input. A 26 small won't work, unfortunately. I looked at my craigs and nearby, found nothing. Not in a hurry.

Good luck!

Brian Likes Pow

Out on the slopes
Skier
Are your local trails super rocky or somewhat normal. Geometry in general has changed overall since you last rode so the right hardtails can get alot done. Im actually thinking about picking one up for xc rides at some point.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Are your local trails super rocky or somewhat normal. Geometry in general has changed overall since you last rode so the right hardtails can get alot done. Im actually thinking about picking one up for xc rides at some point.

My local trails are non-existant. I have to make them. The soil makeup on my place ranges from sand to rocks. I plan to mow a ziggity zaggity trail through the smooth stuff then lead it to a properly designed romp through the dropoffs and whatever fun stuff I can add from watching youtube videos:)
20170816_194254.jpg

20170816_193919.jpg

20170816_194105.jpg

20170816_194722.jpg
20170816_194327.jpg

After getting it to a spot where I like it, I'll rent a backhoe or bobcat and bank the turns and build some features.

Snowfan

aka Eric Nelson
Skier
Here is a view from google earth.
Bike fun.PNG

Its just now dawning on me how fun it would be to make a MTB park out of it.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I've got the same helmet as the kid! Purchase from Steep and Cheap last year?

My husband makes fun of it, but it was a killer deal....plus...red cheetah print!?! Yes, please.

Photo from Burke Mtn this past weekend...(no photos of me wearing it, as I'm generally the one behind the lens)

View attachment 27973

Cool lid! We bought hers for 40% off on the last day of the 2016 season at Highland. It had been 30 off the week before and we rolled the dice. She likes it because it look's like Tahnee Seagrave's helmet - that counts for a lot.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Sleeping Jakes was the blue run above Hawleywood. Hope you guys has a good time on the Hill. This is my home mountain, I work there as a Patroller and mid summer I get 2-3 days in a week at T-Mountain. Your daughter did a great job on Hawley wood ! (Though, get her neck brace and some armor already..seriosuoly, all of our significant clean ups are on Hawleywood and Gronk!). I'm laid up for the rest of the season (recent knee surgery...not related to any injury) or I'd say if any Pugskiers hit T-Mountain, let me know, I'd love to ride with visitors and first timers. Personally, I think we have the most diverse offerings in the east (and this Fall Gravity Logic returns to expand those offerings again!). They've been working on building new, enduro trails on the far east side of the mountain for the upcoming EWS event so that's something to keep an eye out for as well.

She's pretty resistant to armor although she may have been reconsidering that when we rode those trails on far skiers right - The Schist and some other thing that was even harder.

Cool to hear that Gravity Logic is coming back, I was looking for any evidence that they had been there this summer. I emailed one of them after our visit last fall and told him how f'ed up the lift loading procedure was. Glad to see that they got that sorted! I sure wish it was closer, even though Killington is working with Gravity Logic, I like Thunder a lot more. Burke is great too, but kind of in stasis for the last few years with the whole Quiros/receivership situation.

My ranking of NE bike parks is:
1 - Highland (about 2:15 from me) small, but great density of trails and features, and great variety, most complete park
2- Burke (1:15) small, hardly and trails but they are good and above all, it is close to home
3- Thunder (3+ hrs) trails are well made and have variety, they push you to get better without being very punishing
4- Bromont (1:30) serious old school gnar, SERIOUS, border crossing is a small deterrent, really fun to go when the World Cup pros are in town
5- Killington (just under 2 hrs) jump trails are well made, but a bit one dimensional, all table tops, not much wood, upper mountain is gnarly, but you are always riding connectors to get to the good stuff

10 - Sugarbush (about 1 hr)

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
Schist, wine tree ,juggernaut, too easy are what set thunder apart. If your daughter is riding those as well as she ride Hawleywood she's on her way to well deserved awesomeness!
You would think those trails are where you'd want armor, but only on the jump trails have we seen major injuries (and the vast majority of our total injuries).
There's a ton of pretty great xc riding there too if you comeback and look to make a longer stay.

Sponsor

Staff online