• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I do realize that unisex clinics exist, but I've just realized mine have all been women's clinics -

I did a few evening sessions with Luna Chix (Luna Bar MTB team) back when they did free clinics in south Boulder (I don't think they still do that?) - that was really cool. I remember asking how to deal with the square red rock on the inside corner of this one particular turn - instructor said, "I don't know what rock you're talking about, but I do know that if you can describe it that well, you're spending way too much time looking at it instead of looking forward!"

A one-day lesson with two other women at White Ranch with a pro rider for Cannondale. Her husband patched me up during the clinic when I insisted on re-riding a particular section until I finally nailed it. My skin was ribbons on forearm and hip. Still have the scar below my elbow. We became friendly with the husband - when someone backed over my bike, he talked to the insurance adjuster and explained why we could not be sure the frame wasn't cracked, so that it was declared totaled.

Two Dirt Series weekend clinics, 2011 and 2012. These were at Winter Park - in the morning we all did skills together, then in the afternoon the lift-serviced and XC groups split up. I did lift-serviced. Tracy Moseley (!) showed me how to better arrange the shifters and levers on my handlebar so they would work well for MY hands. Unfortunately, the Trek Series lesson plan - morning drills, afternoon rides - didn't play well with the typical afternoon monsoons that time of year, which I assume is why they no longer do Winter Park.

I have some great memories from the Dirt Series. They bring their own obstacles so that everything is standardized with progressions. I rode a teeter-totter - several times - the last time going too fast and launching off it while it was still in the air! I successfully rode an elevated (few inches) wooden bridge with a bend in it - that's the lesson in which I learned to pay attention to where my rear wheel was tracking. On the actual trails, I rode a rainbow feature that felt near-vertical (photos prove otherwise).

I also did a Gravity Goddess weekend at Trestle/Winter Park, except I was the only student to show up. I got a private lesson the first day, which was great (although man I am so bad at timing jumps. So bad), but the second day they grouped me with two teenage boys. I understood the financial reasons, but you can well imagine that they did not have my issues with timing jumps, and between being mentally drained already from the previous day and then having to deal with two teenage boys instinctively doing what I'd spent more than a day trying to learn - I split off and rode for fun with a friend I saw in line.

Honestly, I don't know why I haven't done more clinics. Just like skiing, I always learn a lot. Laziness, I guess. That and self-consciousness about how slowly I climb.

Looking forward to Dirt Series in Park City in a month! Sadly, despite several great bike parks in the area, they don't do lift-serviced for the clinic.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
There are women only rides and clinics in Summit. Weekdays for the most part, I think. My new roommate is a DH coach at Keystone.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Lee Likes Bikes runs clinics in Frisco throughout the summer. The following was from today's paper.

upload_2017-6-23_8-8-28.png

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Doing a women's clinic tomorrow at Snowbird. My first lesson EVER! I'm kind of nervous, because I'm SUCH a chicken. Climbing? No problemo. Ride over scary obstacles? Hahahahaha!!
I hit 8 PRs today on a ride I've done a gazillion times in the past 3 years. Most of them on the climb. Not sure what got into me--nice, cool morning, feeling good, rode without a Camelbak (doing that more and more now. Tired of the excess weight on shorter rides.) My times on the descent were hampered by a TON of traffic coming up. Our trails here are becoming REALLY busy. Time to start my rides earlier, I guess.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Doing a women's clinic tomorrow at Snowbird. My first lesson EVER! I'm kind of nervous, because I'm SUCH a chicken. Climbing? No problemo. Ride over scary obstacles? Hahahahaha!!
I hit 8 PRs today on a ride I've done a gazillion times in the past 3 years. Most of them on the climb. Not sure what got into me--nice, cool morning, feeling good, rode without a Camelbak (doing that more and more now. Tired of the excess weight on shorter rides.) My times on the descent were hampered by a TON of traffic coming up. Our trails here are becoming REALLY busy. Time to start my rides earlier, I guess.

Please report back!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Having a chronic illness sucks. I have not been feeling well or able to get enough rest lately. But I wanted to take advantage of the blessedly cool temps this weekend, so I finally forced myself out the door toward evening.

When I started riding it almost 15 years ago, Heil was just a lollipop. Then they added a loop that connects at two points along the lollipop, and then they connected Picture Rock to the new loop. It's all very cool and gives you tons of options. Today, though, I only rode the stem of the lollipop from the Heil Valley Ranch trailhead. Five and a half miles total. I'm bummed that's all I rode, but at least I was out there (I'm getting sick of telling myself that!), and my "racing red" lenses felt pretty dark as I headed down. Definitely glad I didn't take the time for the loop, or I might have had to make tough choices about riding without eye protection. I need to remember to dig up my low-light lenses.

I've ridden Heil ever since I started riding a mountain bike, and it goes through cycles. Nature is always trying to assert itself. It's advertised as an intermediate trail, but it really depends on when you catch it in the maintenance cycle. The minute humans put away their tools, the rocks begin to extrude through the dirt. I hadn't been to the trail in a couple of years, and it's amazing what's been done to counteract the erosion - beautiful sections of rock path. Inevitably this means sanitizing part of the trail. It looks much less wild than it used to be, but these trails see tons of traffic and need the intervention.

I had thought I'd misremembered how rocky Heil is. I had not. I've been riding Picture Rock, which is mostly buff trail, but with some gnarly technical sections. Heil's toughest section is easier than many of Picture Rock's obstacles - but Heil is just rock after rock after rock. Unlike Picture Rock, everything at Heil can be cleared with good balance and some oomph. But you need to be on your game throughout. I've never cleared the whole thing on one ride, but I've cleared every part of it at some point. Of course, as I said, it keeps changing.

I rode my old bike, the Ellsworth Truth. The first bit is just a dirt road up to the real trail, and I was hating life and sure that this proved how wise I was to get a new bike. Then I got to the singletrack with all the rocks, and I remembered that, oh yes, I do still love this bike. It's extremely precise, and I can toss it around like it's nothing (on the flip side, the front wheel is a little too happy to unweight). I was pumped at some of the stuff I managed to clear just by keeping on keepin' on. On the way down, though, it was *so* noisy (can't wait for the 1x drivetrain!), and definitely required more attention.

I haven't ridden any of the demo bikes on Heil. I wonder what I'll think when I take the Yeti out there. Specifically, I wonder if some of the "just keep pedaling" sections will be harder with the 1x. On the other hand, some of the "eep, that's a ledge!" uphill sections will be easier with the bigger wheels and fatter tires.

I balked at one particular uphill section - it seemed to me that the line was a tight zig zag; hard to keep up your momentum. (Arguably the line is straight, and you just have to power through the protruding rocks.) But after I walked my bike to the top, I made a point of turning around and studying the section. I knew I'd be tempted to walk it on the way down, but I also saw the line and knew I could ride it. On the way down - sure enough. I saw it, I got nervous, and I reminded myself I'd already scoped the line. So I rode it. No problem. Big grin.

On the drive back home, I saw two bucks with big ol' antlers. Wish I could have taken a picture.

... Naturally, the photos I took are all of buff trail - no evidence of all the rocks. I was too busy keeping the rubber side down through those sections. It's a really beautiful trail - lots of shade.

20170624_181220.jpg
20170624_181846.jpg

I hadn't been to Heil for a couple of years, and this shocked me! Back in the day, you could barely tell that you'd transitioned into the loop of the lollipop, and while it was a popular spot to stop and regroup, there wasn't much space. Now it's .. well, it's beautiful, and like I said, sanitized. Probably worth it to prevent so many people from nearly running into each other - there's also a big wide spot to the right for congregating (or dropping your bike so it's out of the way), and you can use the big rocks in that wall as a bench.
20170624_185633.jpg
20170624_195323.jpg

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I decided to try Heil Ranch based on this post and headed there this morning. It did not go well. My asthma isn't playing well with the humidity and a squealing rear brake had my confidence low so I turned around really early and took the bike to the shop. Everybody in the shop heard those brakes and cringed. After a new set of brake pads and a stop for lunch I headed back to my local standard of Singletree-Mayhoffer to Marshall Mesa where the ride was much more successful even including the cow encounters. Mama was not happy with me for stopping to photograph these 2.

Looking forward to riding in Steamboat next weekend!

IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0864.JPG
IMG_0865.JPG
IMG_0866.JPG

Reactions: Ron

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I decided to try Heil Ranch based on this post and headed there this morning. It did not go well. My asthma isn't playing well with the humidity and a squealing rear brake had my confidence low so I turned around really early and took the bike to the shop. Everybody in the shop heard those brakes and cringed. After a new set of brake pads and a stop for lunch I headed back to my local standard of Singletree-Mayhoffer to Marshall Mesa where the ride was much more successful even including the cow encounters. Mama was not happy with me for stopping to photograph these 2.

Oof, sorry! I did mention Heil is super rocky, right?

Noisy brakes are such a confidence suck. Glad you got them fixed up!

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Eh, it was more the combination of asthma (I started sucking wind about 2 minutes in and never recovered), technical challenge, and squeaky brakes. Was at a party this afternooon with some people who gave some thoughts on various trails in the area and will try those over the coming weeks.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Eh, it was more the combination of asthma (I started sucking wind about 2 minutes in and never recovered), technical challenge, and squeaky brakes. Was at a party this afternooon with some people who gave some thoughts on various trails in the area and will try those over the coming weeks.

Tell me! I'm always at a loss for suggesting good progression trails around here. I usually suggest Springbrook, and then Betasso - but Betasso is, I think, a pretty good jump.

Oh, also, a trail builder told me they're adding a new trail to Heil that is intended as more of a true beginner to intermediate trail - should be done any day now, I gather.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I did a women's MTB clinic at Snowbird this weekend, sponsored by a local bike shop Bingham Cyclery, and a new group in our area called Women MTB. The instructors included Jen Hudak (yes, for reals!) and a few others. Mine was Joy Brinkerhoff Patten, who has been racing for YEARS and who was AWESOME!

I promised myself I would write everything I learned down so I could remind myself throughout the season, and then re-remind myself at the start of next season, because I KNEW most of the stuff we learned today, but had forgotten to apply it this season.

Every one of us in the group were in agreement that cornering/tight switchbacks were something we wanted to work on, as well as technical climbing. We started in an area at the base of the resort in the trees that had a bunch of technical features in it (fun!) The first thing we worked on was (I forgot what it was called!) where you apply a massive amount of power to the pedal at the 1 o'clock position, which starts a wheelie, helping to propel you over obstacles. I SUCKED at this. I could NOT get that front wheel off the ground save for a couple of times, to save my life. Is my bike too big? 29er wheels too much? I don't know. I tried it again yesterday and it was NOT happening. In any event, as I rode up some serious rocky terrain yesterday, I realized I kind of do this already but put an extra emphasis on applying the power at 1 o'clock. I still don't know how to use this when climbing over obstacle after obstacle (like a rock garden, or clearing a few obstacles at the top of a steep, technical climb) but, I'll keep working on it.

We then worked on cornering. Nothing I didn't know here, just some of it I had not been using. Use the outside foot as a "ballast" by putting it at the 6 o'clock position, lower the chest, and stay VERY centered over your bike. I have not been riding with my chest low enough by any stretch. Look through the turn (been working on that already) and of course, drop the seat. Before we hit the corners, we rode straight and practiced bike/body separation. I don't do this enough, either.

We then went over a very large"blind" tree root, which had a big drop off on the other side, so many of the women took a peak at it first. I decided to just go for it! (This is a big deal for the big ol' chicken me.) The root was about 1 foot in diameter, and the drop on the other side was about 3 feet, I'd say. Again the big lesson? Get that chest down, and practice being "rigid but fluid".

We then hit the trail and did what I think was about a 4 mile loop up a series of mildly technical switchbacks, then descended down a pretty rough, rocky trail that had a lot of mud still, and quite a few rock drops, tight corners, etc. She emphasized that on a trail she has not ridden on, she is very conservative and if there is a challenging section, she will ride a line over and over again until she gets it. It was nice to hear that I'm not THAT big of a chicken, in that I take my time and ride conservatively on new terrain.

So, I'll keep working on that wheelie thing. I did ride yesterday and applied much of what I'd learned, and I was FAST! Nailed every switchback, made it over a rock feature that has gotten me every time I've ridden it, and was super aggressive.

Anyway, a few pics:
The group I was with
19420548_10155416292404042_2821957778971518476_n.jpg

Me hitting a switchback
19420465_10155416292529042_1927614961467028343_n.jpg

Bike/body separation
19396982_10155416291354042_9113824637444930573_n.jpg

Oh, and I hopped on a Yeti Beti in a small frame and took a quick spin (just on paved, though.) The bike felt too small, and the wide bars (770mm I think) made me oversteer, but I did climb it up a steep pitch on the sidewalk, and it FLEW up it. The guy at the tent sold both Yeti and Trek. Says Trek are more for the masses, Yeti more for "bikers". ?? I guess that's where some compare Trek to K2. Regardless, I have a damn nice bike that I sure have fun on! I'm going to demo a 27.5 Trek just to see if I do want to go down in wheel size.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
When you go to those clinics a lot of time is spent finding neutral. The thing with "the wheelie thing" (the manual) is that you have to leave neutral. It can be hard to do that. You probably have to move your weight around a lot more than you have been willing to.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Wow! That blind drop sounds impressive! And after tearing my chin open on a blind drop, not something I'm likely to try ... kinda surprised they did it that way.

The first thing we worked on was (I forgot what it was called!) where you apply a massive amount of power to the pedal at the 1 o'clock position, which starts a wheelie, helping to propel you over obstacles. I SUCKED at this. I could NOT get that front wheel off the ground save for a couple of times, to save my life. Is my bike too big? 29er wheels too much? I don't know. I tried it again yesterday and it was NOT happening.

I have struggled with this, too, although apparently I forgot about it for the last few years. One thing I remember is that you have to be in a hard enough gear to generate torque. Anyway, no, I don't think it's the bike - sorry ;-)

Good reminder. I should play with it again.

The guy at the tent sold both Yeti and Trek. Says Trek are more for the masses, Yeti more for "bikers". ??

Oh, he can F right off. That's all I have to say about that.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
When you go to those clinics a lot of time is spent finding neutral. The thing with "the wheelie thing" (the manual) is that you have to leave neutral. It can be hard to do that. You probably have to move your weight around a lot more than you have been willing to.

Does this mean get back behind the seat when you push on the pedal? Sounds awkward, but makes sense.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Those of us that learned to mt bike on Raleigh three speeds can bump over anything. ;-) 'Bumping' over something is what I call the technique you mention that forces you to wheeley over an obstacle. Before suspension (yes there was a time) it was what you did to keep moving. Did they mention that if you bump the front wheel it can be useful to bump the back wheel as well?

Congratulations on what sounds like a good learning experience. My friend, K, has made lots of progress in women's clinics both on bikes and on skis. There seems to be something more accepting about a woman telling you to do something versus a man asking the same thing.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Oh, and I hopped on a Yeti Beti in a small frame and took a quick spin (just on paved, though.) The bike felt too small, and the wide bars (770mm I think) made me oversteer, but I did climb it up a steep pitch on the sidewalk, and it FLEW up it. The guy at the tent sold both Yeti and Trek. Says Trek are more for the masses, Yeti more for "bikers". ?? I guess that's where some compare Trek to K2. Regardless, I have a damn nice bike that I sure have fun on! I'm going to demo a 27.5 Trek just to see if I do want to go down in wheel size.

wow, no arrogance there... Ignore it. Reminds me of some of the comments from SIA. Probably some of the same people. :)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I went out for a ride yesterday with my weekend warrior neighbor, Mike and his buddy Mark.

20170625_110237.jpg

This view from Minnie Mine never gets old.

20170625_110248.jpg

Mark and Mike.

20170625_125432.jpg

Looking up Little French Creek. Patch skiing anyone?

Sponsor

Staff online