• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
A nice ride out and back on French Gulch. I hadn't ridden since I endoed last Thursday. I felt a bit goofy getting started but finished strong. 15 miles, 1600' climbing.

This is the first time I've ridden the Wellington Trail from start to finish. I helped construct the first section, just E of what is now the Pump Track in 2002. It was just completed this spring with the construction of a bridge to ford French Creek. I've done other trail work on it and it is nice to see it finally completed after 15 years.

170621 - bike ride in Earth.jpg

20170621_145154.jpg

This was the spot where I turned around. Baldy has some nice coverage still. You have to get up early to get the goods as it faces due East. I haven't done it for a while.

20170621_145212.jpg

The road continued wet and muddy thus the turn around.

20170621_152621.jpg

The scree and tree field below this peak, Mineral Hill, will soon have a trail traversing it providing a new way to access Lincoln Meadow.

20170621_152626.jpg

This trail, B&B, is also known as the 'tin man' trail.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I hadn't ridden since I endoed last Thursday.

Wait - I missed this. Any good story? Just grab the brakes too hard? Trying to stoppie down the mountain?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Weird braking situation. Quick but not hard. A rock slipped or moved and the bars turned 90 degrees. I was happy not to have tacoed the wheel.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Weird braking situation. Quick but not hard. A rock slipped or moved and the bars turned 90 degrees. I was happy not to have tacoed the wheel.

Yikes!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a technique taught for motorcycles, as well!

For faster turns, I've been working on remembering to keep my outside foot down (6 o'clock) to help with traction. I usually forget or put the wrong leg down - doh!

F this heat. Really.
I am so one-foot dominant, that putting my left foot down for right turns really messes with my head. Been working on it. The dropper REALLY helps me with switchbacks, too.

I can't believe we got almost a foot of snow just over a week ago! Trails are already dusty again.

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
Amy, one other thing to think about when turning (because more 'thinking' is better, right?) Is, in conjunction with pushing down on the inside grip, think about bringing the outside elbow forward and up. There is a great Fabian Barel video explaining this, I am on a phone so... try google.

Mountain biking (well, any biking) and skiing are funny. Your feet do the same thing turning during either activity- you should be primarily weighting the outside foot, but your pelvis should be doing the opposite. If anyone enjoys really detailed instruction- train wreck thread anyone?- check out zeptechniques.com/blog for some really, really detailed skills instruction. (It is run by a ski instructor... surprise!)

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
its the same for skiing as it in biking. most body movements are identical.. watch this video, centering over your BB is really key and it so closely mirrors skiing.

lots of great videos on this.

Lee McCormack does clinics in your neck of the woods

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks, guys! I am a chronic over-thinker, BUT less so on the bike than on skis, probably because biking is "easier" for me. I love having one or two things to work on while I'm out riding, because overall, I ride well and enjoy it either way. :D Appreciate the tips and video!

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I am so rusty right now so its good to review these videos. just remembering to look further ahead and turning your body towards the turn is so huge. It just goes to reinforce everything for skiing.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I think biking is "easier" because you don't have to turn to stop. That's not only more intuitive - it also means you can stop in a narrow corridor. Pedaling is also more similar to walking/running than skiing is. Those are my guesses.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
its the same for skiing as it in biking. most body movements are identical.. watch this video, centering over your BB is really key and it so closely mirrors skiing.

lots of great videos on this.

Lee McCormack does clinics in your neck of the woods

That was filmed at Valmont Bike Park which is about a quarter of a mile from where I sit at this moment.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
Must be that time again. Hitting the mid-season rides out of the gate is brutal, and the trails already feel like Sept dry, but it's pretty out there right now...

IMG_6475.JPG
IMG_6413.JPG
IMG_6402.JPG

Finally went tubeless as I had to replace my wheelset. Happy Happy Joy Joy.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just added myself to the waitlist for Lee's level 1.5 skills clinic this weekend and July 8. Hopefully I'll get into one of them.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
You could take my class. It would go like this:

1) Suffer uphill;

2) Point downhill and don't wreck;

3) Save enough $$$ for the bike to sort out most of #2.

I take payment in beer.

I know this is a joke, but this is pretty much why women's clinics exist. It's more or less what my husband (then boyfriend) told me when I was learning how to ride. "Just ride down it." I wanted just one thought, something to keep in mind as I rode down - he wouldn't (couldn't, likely) give it to me.

As a broad generalization, men often just "go for it." Women often want a little more guidance.

nay

dirt heel pusher
Skier
I know this is a joke, but this is pretty much why women's clinics exist. It's more or less what my husband (then boyfriend) told me when I was learning how to ride. "Just ride down it." I wanted just one thought, something to keep in mind as I rode down - he wouldn't (couldn't, likely) give it to me.

As a broad generalization, men often just "go for it." Women often want a little more guidance.

Totally fair.

If you have to choose between too little speed and too much, choose the latter :).

Sponsor