• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Toronto, mostly, is 2-3' of top soil on top of 300' of concrete-like clay. We call it Toronto concrete.. You need a pick-axe to dig it. And water doesn't infiltrate it very quickly...

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lot of rain here as well........WAY too muddy to ride the local MTB trails.Grey skies and 40 degree temps with showers don't exactly inspire me to take the cross bike for a ride on the local river/canal/rail trails either. Oh well, at least some projects around the house are getting done.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It's funny. I thought that after the deluge last week, I'd find a lot of mud. Instead, in this climate, the trails were crumblingly dry by Saturday - not even a bit of tacky for grip. And of course people, horses, and bikes had been unable to exhibit some restraint for the two minutes it WAS muddy, so the trail was all rutted out. Grr.

scott43

Skier
It's funny. I thought that after the deluge last week, I'd find a lot of mud. Instead, in this climate, the trails were crumblingly dry by Saturday - not even a bit of tacky for grip. And of course people, horses, and bikes had been unable to exhibit some restraint for the two minutes it WAS muddy, so the trail was all rutted out. Grr.

No no, you're wrong..horses do NOT damage the trails.. :roflmao:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
No no, you're wrong..horses do NOT damage the trails.. :roflmao:

LOL. Yeah, and their dung is just part of the ambience. Certainly not a means for foreign vegetation to invade the area.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor

I was doing trail work on CLOSED trails this weekend. There sure were a lot of trail runners on our CLOSED mountain bike trails. We watched a pair of them read all the signs and then lift the rope and go for it anyway.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I was doing trail work on CLOSED trails this weekend. There sure were a lot of trail runners on our CLOSED mountain bike trails. We watched a pair of them read all the signs and then lift the rope and go for it anyway.

Grr.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

As both a mountain biker and a trail runner I get really irritated both ways. If it's closed to you it's closed to you. If it's a temporary closure then just deal. If it's because that trail is closed to pedestrians or bikes permanently then the way to deal with that isn't just to violate the closure, go work with the proper authority to show why it shouldn't be. I watched a woman come up a permanently closed to bikes section at Marshall Mesa here this weekend. Both ends are clearly marked so she clearly wasn't paying attention when she turned onto the trail.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
this my solution to closed trails, while everything is closed due to supposed wetness, the trail that never closes in bone dry yesterday. Today this place looks the same but slightly wet from the snow this morning.

Side Knob@Green Acres aka my backyard.

13240544_10154935707848357_6255817346838822566_n.jpg

this morning
18387179_10154811878215000_1902835906_n.jpg

if your in vermont and jonesng to ride, PLEASE come ride. I need more traffic to stop grow back.

TS
coskigirl

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just signed up for my first 2 hour skills clinic on May 23. I'm super excited for it and it's very convenient given that I work just down the street from the Valmont Bike Park where it's held.

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
We've had 2+ weeks of warm and dry, with some wind. The backside trails are drying out!
I'm getting my new bike dialed in with suspension and bar width. Wow, is it nice!!!
@Josh Matta, I have moved the grips in to the 720mm mark (bars are 750mm) and it's MUCH better. So, I'll be cutting them down to that width. I also removed 2 of the "stackers" (what are they called??) to lower the bars and stem by about 2cm. My neck and shoulders are a lot happier with both changes. Uphill control is better, and while on the first ride, downhill switchbacks were an adjustment, on my second ride, I had them dialed and they feel GREAT.

Took 5psi out of the front shock, and backed off the rebound by 2 clicks and that's feeling REALLY good, both on rocky climbs and descents. Oh, and finally got my 100mm dropper, and I'm loving it. I've never had a dropper, but have ridden with one a few times, and I just can't get over how much more control I have on descents, how much sportier it makes the bike feel.

Reactions: Ron

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah I ride 740 and 750.......and I must have wider shoulder than you.

Erik Timmerman

Instructor
We did six hours of trail work and two hours of riding yesterday. Look like this will be a good week to flip that ratio!

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Heading to Moab this weekend. My first trip there, I'm ashamed to say after living here for 3 years now...and no, I will NOT be riding the Whole Enchilada. (It's not even entirely opened yet anyway, due to snowpack.)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
you should check out Price, Ut on your drive down. Luke's Trail is so much fun.

Sponsor