• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Moto GP 2017

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like another great season! Random observations at Qatar:

Vinales: I don't care how much power Dovi's Ducati has, I'm winning anyway, even if I have to set my fastest lap time on the last lap!

Rossi: From fairly lousy winter testing sessions, to 10th in qualifying, to a podium position. Could this guy age any more gracefully?! In the right circumstances, he could pull another world championship out of the hat with pure podium consistency (admission -- huge fan here).

Marquez: Easily top 3 with almost any other engine in his Honda. He would flat out leave everybody far behind, if he were on the Ducati.

Zarco: This kid is going to be a fly in the ointment of a LOT of veterans this season. A dab on the front brake while inches outside the tacky racing line put him on the deck while running away early in the race.

Ducati: A truly astounding engineering combination of the most powerful engine, yet managed well enough to nurse a soft compound rear tire through the entire race, then set it's fastest time on the last lap (see Vinales, above).

Qatar1: I find it a little sad to have these guys racing on a track with a safe racing lane only one meter wide, due to blowing sand. No easy solution comes to mind.

Qatar2: Rainy weather-related delay of start. In Qatar?!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
That's Dorna growing the sport...pay per view thank you very much... :huh:

I like Rossi..it'll be sad the day I have to listen to a press conference without him. The rest, I don't really care about anymore. I've never liked them racing in stupid places like Qatar...same with Formula 1. I'd rather take the money I'd have to spend to watch MotoGP and do more track days myself.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My cable carrier doesn't get the GP any more,
Any suggestions for catching the action in the states?

We have Dish Network, and it's on BEIN Sports (whatever that is).

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
My cable carrier doesn't get the GP any more,
Any suggestions for catching the action in the states?

https://secure.motogp.com/en/subscribe This is what I subscribe to. Commercial Free. Access to ALL Motogp content (Moto 2, 3, Motogp, practice, news conferences, etc). Also, you can have up to 4 views in one window to include any driver, helicopter, and broadcast feed. I thinks it's great value. I also purchase the WRC content. Hopefully Liberty Media will have a similar offering for F1 because the commercial laden broadcast in the US is unwatchable.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
That's Dorna growing the sport...pay per view thank you very much... :huh:

I like Rossi..it'll be sad the day I have to listen to a press conference without him.
Same here, I'm trying to get my head around that and find another rider to like. So far, anyone that can give Marquez and especially Lorenzo a problem has my vote, so I'm good with Vinales :) We'll see how he reacts to close, hard racing from his teammate that is sure to come at some point this season. Seems like Marquez and Rossi were able to get past it last year and have some great battles with no hard feelings.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Race 2: Nowhere, Argentina.

Observations:

1. Marquez kindly ensures an interesting season by crashing out while riding quickly away from the entire field.

2. If Vinales stays cool and collected, this could be an uninteresting season (I'm predicting erratic finishes from Marquez throughout, because he'll really have to hang it out there with the Honda on the "engine" tracks).

3. Did aliens replace Crutchlow between Race 1 and Race 2?! He looked like a completely different rider, in a very, very good way.

4. Absolutely astounding to see 8 of the top 10 finishers NOT on factory bikes.

5. Lorenzo quietly retires mid-season, citing unspecified "personal health reasons". He looks like a squid on the Ducati. Actually worse than Race 1.

6. Rossi still has the fire. I'm not counting him out for another championship.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Race 2: Nowhere, Argentina.

Observations:

1. Marquez kindly ensures an interesting season by crashing out while riding quickly away from the entire field.

2. If Vinales stays cool and collected, this could be an uninteresting season (I'm predicting erratic finishes from Marquez throughout, because he'll really have to hang it out there with the Honda on the "engine" tracks).

3. Did aliens replace Crutchlow between Race 1 and Race 2?! He looked like a completely different rider, in a very, very good way.

4. Absolutely astounding to see 8 of the top 10 finishers NOT on factory bikes.

5. Lorenzo quietly retires mid-season, citing unspecified "personal health reasons". He looks like a squid on the Ducati. Actually worse than Race 1.

6. Rossi still has the fire. I'm not counting him out for another championship.

1. He was really feeling the pressure and if I'm not mistaken, Vinales was starting to eat into the lead once he got past Crutchlow. Right now, the only way Marquez has a chance to win is to ride at the limit. He does that well, but 0 room for a mistake.
2. Agree, and it'll be really interesting if Rossi can get it together and fluster Vinales
3. He really is hot and cold. I was a Crutchlow supporter before he opened his mouth after his first win last year when he made a smart gamble on tire choice. 0 class calling the other riders "wimps". Just thought to myself, "Wonder what stupid thing he'll say in the interview about his 3rd place finish". Let's see...race pace wasn't all that fast. He had to manage his race because of a "warning light". Not only did he have the measure of Rossi, but he could have caught Vinales if it wasn't for the pesky light. I suppose it could be true, but he pretty much stuck close to Rossi once passed. He shouldn't have been a "wimp" and at least fought for second :)
4. Agreed. Wouldn't it be great if F1 was similiar?
5. Ya, I bet Lorenzo thought he was going to walk into Ducati and show the world how great he is and how Rossi was a failure when he was at Ducati. Early season and he may yet have the last laugh but his current performance really makes me happy.
6. If he felt as comfortable on the bike as Vinales, I suspect we'd be looking at at least 1 Rossi win.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ Crashlow's sponsors would be money ahead if they prohibited him from uttering a single word in the podium interviews.

Possibly the only rider that loses overall popularity when he makes it onto the box.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Not the best race with Vinales going down and Pedrosa's tire going away at the end.

Good early race by Zarco with a very aggressive move on Rossi which could have resulted in both of them crashing out. Marquez was right to point out in the Post-race conference when asked his opinion that if a racer is going to make aggressive passes, that he should expect the same. Marquez and Rossi have seemed to come to that understanding with each other. My feeling is the pass attempt was overly aggressive and was maybe a test by Zarco. Most racers would have stood up and slowed down way down. Rossi doesn't play that way. Wonder how it all would have turned out if that attempted pass was made 3-wide.

We move on, but race control has now set the bar this season on what is acceptable when making a pass.

I'm sure that pleased Iannone to no end to get past Lorenzo :)

Some of those slow-mo shots are incredible, especially of Marquez coming in hard over bumps and braking for a turn with his rear wheel sliding and lifting into the air.

Last edited:
TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not a bad race, but a bit of a parade. A few random thoughts:

1. Rossi lead the championship race. DON'T COUNT THE OLD GUY OUT!

2. Zarco is going to steal somebody's factory ride next season. Or maybe Rossi will retire after winning another championship.

3. World Class Pavers, please report to COTA before next year's event!

4. Lorenzo finally cracks the top ten on the Ducati. I never thought I'd type that sentence. I'm no fan, but figured he'd be top five immediately, even on a new bike. It will be interesting to see whether Ducati elects to build next year's bike around Lorenzo's preferences, esp if his team mate and non-factory Duc riders continue to beat him.

5. The U.S. announcers that Bein Sports used were knowledgeable, but seemed to lack any enthusiasm. They could have been announcing curling. I'm looking forward to Nick Harris being back for the rest of the season.

6. Actual "out loud" criticism of the Michelin tires voiced by the announcers twice. Violation of the apparent official Omerta policy!

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ya Tom, I AB SO LUTELY love Nick Harris commentary (maybe cut down a bit on using "aboslutely" in every third senntence though :) ). Just about the best color in motorsport right now. He seems to love the sport and ALL the riders remaining completely neutral yet enthusistic the whole race. Great to listen too. Luckily I didnt have to put up with the announcers. Nick is the official Motogp announcer.

I ab so lutely love the commercial free content I get with the paid motogp videopass. They even have a no spoiler choice available for default login so you can watch a missed event without getting some kind of hint on the main login page.

Quietly hoping Rossi can do it. I think he handles the pressure a bit better so if can come to grips completely with the bike Vinales and Marquez are in trouble.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^ I'm absolutely certain that you're absolutely wrong about Nick Harris using the word "absolutely" in ONLY every third sentence!

I just watch on Dish, which we already get, and which allows me to skip commercials.

On a related note, I've been sucked into MXGP for the first time ever this year. It's been a blast seeing the Old Man (Cairoli) still having something for the younger upstarts, a'la Ross in MotoGP. The last four laps of the second moto in Trentina (sp?) were ABSOLUTELY amazing, seeing him go from 5th to 1st by passing one rider each lap, in exactly the same manner, in exactly the same spot.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
haha!

Been trying to keep up a bit with supercross, but cant get the coverage overseas so it is another streaming product I will have to purchase next year. First heard about MXGP when Villopoto went over for a year. They have a race here in Thailand but haven't made it there yet. Speaking of Thailand, Motogp is here in 2018. I have been to the circuit in Buriram and it is very nice. Luckily Nat's family doesn't live too far away, but I bet it gets sold out pretty quick as they like their motorcycle racing here.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So, Jerez is complete. My usual random observations:

1. Pedrosa gives a clinic on qualifying, starts, speed and consistency. Makes for a boring race up front, but shows that he's not dead, yet.

2. Spanish riders go 1/2/3 in Spain. I would have liked to be at the national after-party!

3. Zarco provides a hugely impressive first two laps. Passes several of the Big Boys. His last 25 laps weren't too shabby, either, finishing 4th. This guy may well be on a factory bike next year.

4. Lorenzo makes the podium FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS YEAR. Fluke or adjusting to the new bike? We'll know in due course.

5. Rossi blew it big time, either with tires, setup, or both, and finishes tenth?! But he is still leading the championship chase......

6. I'm tired of how much tire "management" factors into the results. Michelin needs to make tires that last the whole race when they are RACED on, not managed.

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Ya, wasn't the most exciting of races, but
1. Great job by Pedrosa. I especially like the "Challenge Accepted" when Marquez pulled behind him on his last qualifying lap where Pedrosa snatched the poll. Kept waiting for the inevitable, Marquez kicking up a notch and Pedrosa's medium rear giving up, but it never happened. Were all of Pedrosa's lap times, but 1 in the 1:40's?

2. Lorenzo, what can I say, I just don't like the guy. Good job getting the Ducati to 3rd, but a hooked up Yamaha, if not Rossi, then surely Vinales would have prevented that. We'll see how it goes the rest of the rear. Even though I don't like him, I do like competition, so having more fighting for podium position is great.

3. Seeing Zarco slice through traffic on those opening laps was pretty cool..

4. Can't believe Yamaha and especially Rossi struggled so much. He said he gambled on a last minute setup change. Strange thing was Vinales, after changing nothing on the bike, was back to being very quick in testing on Monday.

5. How about that Crashlow? LOL, as usual..."Could of been on the podium if I didn't crash".

Watched all of Moto 2 and Moto 3. Moto 2 was really boring with Marc's brother easily winning, and Moto 3 was exactly the opposite. A fun battle for the entire race with a last corner pass. Lost count of all the lead changes.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
5. How about that Crashlow? LOL, as usual..."Could of been on the podium if I didn't crash".

I discovered in Kevin Cameron's report on Cycle World's website that Crashlow serves a purpose, in that he is willing to talk very openly about which bikes are better and worse in which situations, and for what reasons.

Also, he gives great excuses on the infrequent (ha!) occasions that he crashes.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
LeMans -- what a show! Tons of mid-pack stuff that was amazing, but tough to see on the coverage. My takeaway:

Tough to see Rossi put on such a show, and come up shy at the end.

Zarco for the hole shot! Frenchman at a French track. Great stuff! And then he just kept it rolling, soft tires and all.

We are almost certainly seeing the beginning of a generational shift at the front. Time will tell whether this will be a quick revolution or a slow-drip process.

It's early days for KTM, and there are a lot of naysayers. My roots are in the dirt, and I can remember how long KTM was considered a bit of a joke (unless you were an enduro rider), then they became a fairly strong #4, and now they can fill a podium at a supercross race. Give them five years.

Sponsor

Staff online