• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll bet it did.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
We went to a new-to-us restaurant called the Azorean (as in the Azores Islands) in Gloucester last night. I figured we ought to have Portugese wine, so I picked out this one.
20170715_200115_Richtone(HDR).jpg
It's probably too dark to tell its a 2013.
I only know the basics about Portugal, so I picked it based on the winelist blurb, which I thought was pretty accurate. Very dark, almost black, with lots of tannin. Went well with the assortment of meat and spciy dishes we ate (their "Tapas Tower").

On the way back to the car, we looked in the window of a semi-dive bar called the Rhumb Line and saw a band setting up, so we went in and listened and danced. Had a great time.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Maybe you think Cloudy Bay is hackneyed. Whatever. I stand by the idea that Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc is a special beast. Had this with a pasta dish featuring asparagus with a bunch of mild herbs and red-veined sorel and Astral Weeks. Yummy. Not something I'd want every day. But the intense lemon thyme thing is special.

20170717_195909-01.jpeg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
2015 Johannisberger "Vogelsang" Riesling trocken, Goldatzel. Flint arrowhead in a suede sheath in a birdsong. S.O. says "lemon juice." she has a point. Not for everybody, perhaps. I like it.

20170723_192701-01.jpeg

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The day is almost done and I just found out its national Wine and Cheese Day
National-Cheese-and-Wine-Day-compressed.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm really enjoying this with leftovers tonight.
Big and round Lodi cab franc.
20170808_230014.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I forgot to post this about a week ago.
We went to an early dinner at the restaurant at the end of Bearskin Neck in Rockport MA, going early to have plenty of light. And we had a wine named, well, "Rockport".
20170731_185954_Richtone(HDR).jpg

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Went on a wine / bike tour in May. ~350mi of biking along the Loire valley. A dozen private tastings at organic/natural wineries arranged by a somm/distributor friend of mine. Did not suck.

On the way to the airport with a bike on my back
nIEpxOu.jpg

Built up the bike in the hotel
7505xIG.jpg

Riding out of Paris before hoping a train to Sancerre
TLhhFuy.jpg

Our first bottle on arriving in Paris -- fell in love with Romorantin on this trip
EIxabpF.jpg

Lucien Crochet in Sancerre-- or as we got to know him -- "the magician"
9FFMvKW.jpg

Francois Pinon in Vouvray
6EeGJVb.jpg

A sample reciept from bottles to drink along the way and take home...that's 1990 Vouvray from an awesome fellow for 15E, and magnum of his finest bubbles for 20E. Not including the magnum he threw in for good measure
2knkqPx.jpg

Celler of Francois Cazin
mZbS8d7.jpg

Tasting with Henri of Clos de Tue-Boeuf
tJDPPrw.jpg

And more with Herve Villameadre
8tMGWWB.jpg

Chambord
Mwh5W8k.jpg

And Domaine Guiberteau -- this was a hard one to get. Everything allocated ahead of time so no on-site bottle sales. Except the young American apprentice gave us a bottle of his label. The 2014 Breze we tasted was the bottle of the trip. There is now a bottle waiting for me in 5 years in my meager holdings of 6-8 bottles worth aging.
vXRi6I1.jpg

Stayed on a house boat in Saumur for a few days.
YoQRRBx.jpg

A typical lunch along my way
y4dn6hE.jpg

Not pictured because I'm lazy: Bernard Baudry and Olga Rauffault in Chinon, Thomas Labille in Sancerre.

Please excuse any typos in this: I'm 3/4 of a bottle into some funky Italian blend.

Last edited:

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Went on a wine / bike tour in May. ~350mi of biking along the Loire valley. A dozen private tastings at organic/natural wineries arranged by a somm/distributor friend of mine. Did not suck.

On the way to the airport with a bike on my back
nIEpxOu.jpg

Built up the bike in the hotel
7505xIG.jpg

Riding out of Paris before hoping a train to Sancerre
TLhhFuy.jpg

Our first bottle on arriving in Paris -- fell in love with Romorantin on this trip
EIxabpF.jpg

Lucien Crochet in Sancerre-- or as we got to know him -- "the magician"
9FFMvKW.jpg

Francois Pinon in Vouvray
6EeGJVb.jpg

A sample reciept from bottles to drink along the way and take home...that's 1990 Vouvray from an awesome fellow for 15E, and magnum of his finest bubbles for 20E. Not including the magnum he threw in for good measure
2knkqPx.jpg

Celler of Francois Cazin
mZbS8d7.jpg

Tasting with Henri of Clos de Tue-Boeuf
tJDPPrw.jpg

And more with Herve Villameadre
8tMGWWB.jpg

Chambord
Mwh5W8k.jpg

And Domaine Guiberteau -- this was a hard one to get. Everything allocated ahead of time so no on-site bottle sales. Except the young American apprentice gave us a bottle of his label. The 2014 Breze we tasted was the bottle of the trip. There is now a bottle waiting for me in 5 years in my meager holdings of 6-8 bottles worth aging.
vXRi6I1.jpg

Stayed on a house boat in Saumur for a few days.
YoQRRBx.jpg

A typical lunch along my way
y4dn6hE.jpg

Not pictured because I'm lazy: Bernard Baudry and Olga Rauffault in Chinon, Thomas Labille in Sancerre.

Please excuse any typos in this: I'm 3/4 of a bottle into some funky Italian blend.

Dude. Fascinating. This should be its own trip report. Awesome stuff.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Dude. Fascinating. This should be its own trip report. Awesome stuff.

Yep -- need to compile better photos than just dropping a bunch when I'm drinking wine and thinking about skiing. 6 days on a bike along the Loire. 12 natural/organic wineries. Airbnbs in Menteou-Salon, Orleans, Tours, and Saumur with amazing hosts. Nights closing down tiny bistros with the husband/wife co-owners/chefs who opened up for us after a winemaker called in a favor. First day we bought 26 bottles (so reasonably priced...plus discounts) among the 8 of us. Lasted us 2 days before we were down to the 4 "must take home bottles". Pretty exciting shit for a bunch of kids.

It changed everything about wine for me. I enjoyed wine before. I enjoy wine now, but it is so much more intense with all the context I gained on this adventure. Helps that I am spoiled with wine at home -- I get to order cases via my friend who mixes things he thinks I'll like at my price point (~$120-140 / case). And then there are our regular adventures together where he brings the leftovers from tastings at Vails finest restaurants.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I had friends over, we drunk this beast

(Double magnum, look at the size of this thing)

This is a Rutini (Mendoza) Malbec from the outstanding 2006 vintage. I am not sure how I snapped one of these here in California. But I had to, when I saw it. Been sleeping for a couple years, but these are not to be kept for decades, so I popped it open with my friends. LOVELY wine. Not over the top good, but fantastic, Bordeaux nose, and what can I say. Balanced, the fruit an the tannins beautifully integrated, a bit of acidity, not very mineral but overall super tasty. And what better way to spend time with good friends.

20170823_205236.jpg

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Sometimes wine just wants to be free....

This evening we noticed an odd, somewhat vegetal odor in the baseement. Then it hit me -- that is wine!
Sure enough, there was a cork on the floor and this half-empty bottle on the rack.

20170828_231229.jpg

And Tony, that thing I said about age not being a problem under ten years....

20170828_232603.jpg

Attachments

• 20170828_231555.jpg
    20170828_231555.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 2

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Sometimes wine just wants to be free....

This evening we noticed an odd, somewhat vegetal odor in the baseement. Then it hit me -- that is wine!
Sure enough, there was a cork on the floor and this half-empty bottle on the rack.

View attachment 28791

And Tony, that thing I said about age not being a problem under ten years....

View attachment 28795

I'm not sure that works for fizzantes? :)

Sponsor