• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
A Father's day indulgence. ... Spanish grenache and good cheese. I'm going out on a limb here and saying Cowgirl Creamery Red Hawk is the world's best soft cheese. The others are an English Cheddar and a Stilton whose provenance I'm not sure about. All excellent.
View attachment 25722

View attachment 25723

The wine is Atteca 2014. It was everywhere here a few years ago, but I don't see it much anymore. Probably the salesman who was pushing it moved on.
+1 for Cowgirl. The owners sold to a swiss cheese company a few years ago. But I've never been able to detect a decline in quality.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Total sleeper! I don't even know how to describe this. Savory Cherry Garcia? Buy. Don't think, just buy.

20170618_194129-01.jpeg 20170618_194140-01.jpeg

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I discovered Gruner Vetliner on a spontaneous purchase in Carbondale with @SBrown and it's been a fun adventure to try different ones.

Ulmerhutte

Getting on the lift
Skier
If you love Gruner, but want to try something a little different, then have a look at Australian Riesling. There are many, in many different styles, and this is one person's view of the best: http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/drinks/drinks-features/2017/2/australias-best-rieslings/

My own favourite is:
86946_0_9999_v1_m56577569854528614.png

Flavours of crisp green apples and citrus.

All that said, you will normally find me drinking Australian Shiraz. I especially like the cool climate Shiraz from Heathcote, which is a small town about 90 min north of Melb. https://www.winecompass.com.au/blog/cool-climate-shiraz/

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
If you love Gruner, but want to try something a little different, then have a look at Australian Riesling. There are many, in many different styles, and this is one person's view of the best: http://www.gourmettraveller.com.au/drinks/drinks-features/2017/2/australias-best-rieslings/

My own favourite is:
86946_0_9999_v1_m56577569854528614.png

Flavours of crisp green apples and citrus.

All that said, you will normally find me drinking Australian Shiraz. I especially like the cool climate Shiraz from Heathcote, which is a small town about 90 min north of Melb. https://www.winecompass.com.au/blog/cool-climate-shiraz/
Grampians, Pyrenees, almost unknown in the US but produce hands down best shiraz in Australia. Heathcote pretty darn good too. Barossa is . . . well, not my favorite. Dalwhinnie Shiraz from Pyrennes i ssublime . . .

I've worked in Clare Valley, and I appreciate what they do with warm/hot Riesling. But can't touch great southern.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Ahh, this is why I love wine. Bought this from the producer with a friend , a couple years ago. It is lovely right now. It starts sweet and fruit forward, but with air it developes a lovely nose and chocolate notes ... I am not sure how to stop drinking this thing. Mendieta 91.

20170625_195632.jpg

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice wine from my perspective. not too sweet and nice finish.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
20170709_182732.jpg
A couple of picpouls we took to a friend's house for grilled salmon. The one on the right was superb, lots of acid without being grapefruity, and lots of flavor. The other one was "ok".

I didn't notice till later that the glass of the bottle is identical between the two.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 26492
A couple of picpouls we took to a friend's house for grilled salmon. The one on the right was superb, lots of acid without being grapefruity, and lots of flavor. The other one was "ok".

I didn't notice till later that the glass of the bottle is identical between the two.

Was the one you liked also a '14? (Possibly getting a bit dried out at this point for a wine with that much tartness?)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
No, the good one was a 12. I rarely find age an issue below 10 years.

Just a better producer would be my guess.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter