• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That's a lot of age on the bottle, too. Nice. I am not sure the climate of Paso Robles is ideal for Cab. Perhpas too warm? I have been luckier with Rhone blends from there.

This one is intriguing, though. Perphaps a late harvest production?
Don't really know specifics of the Port other than Cab's aren't uncommon in the central region. Most I believe may be west of Hwy 101 where ocean pathways for cooling may exit. I noted the vintners notes from 2003 where they noted warm period over 100F days then in 90s for a period but indicated they spent a lot of time with cutting laterals and other cuttings to open up air flow, etc. Things I really know little about other than dead moist air is not generally good due to fungus risks.

The vintage noted keeping into 2015 if one wished, this from around 5 yrs back. I found it really quite nice, but it is sweet however being a Port I don't really mind it as my father used to make wine when I was young, but his skills were just as a layman. However most his were somewhat Portish in taste.

TS
Tony S

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a REALLY nice Vernaccia. Expecting it will pair very well with this Persian herb fritatta in the making. ;)

20170331_201655.jpg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Vernaccia chapter two. Used the last leftover glass to make a bright marinara with fresh fennel and celery leaves. This little Morellino is yummy for thirteen dollars. Label says it is 5% syrah. You'd never know it, but ... stroke of genius because the wine is glorious.

20170403_195914-01.jpeg 20170403_195102-01.jpeg

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I don't think you did. You forgot to invite me, that's all :) Holy crap, those are very tempting bottles!
That was not an every week Sat night. But you said when you had a business trip east you would get in touch. No PM's yet.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
All I had tonight was a bottle of cheap cava [shared]. But really, what is better than a bottle of cheap cava on a monday night?
I like cheap wine too. They are great for a simple glass or two with dinner.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
*imagines a bottle of Freixenet* *shudders*
Freixenet Cordon Negro isn't awful for the money. But actually cheaper, and much better:
M-Chevallier-Cava-300x273.jpg

A Codorniu product. Much better than the Cristalino many rave about. Korbel isn't even in the same league at twice price. Not as good as cheap champagne, but then again I can buy 5 bottles of this for the price of a low end champagne.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
All I had tonight was a bottle of cheap cava [shared]. But really, what is better than a bottle of cheap cava on a monday night?
two bottles?

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Help! This wine has so much weird but subtle stuff going on I don't have the vocabulary. Loire. Its like a Savennières made from Oregon pinot gris. Or something. Fabulous. Still VERY young.

20170407_185049(0)-01.jpeg

TS
Tony S

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
P.S. Really nice with this very lactic Salva Cremasco.

20170407_190926-01.jpeg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
20170408_194825.jpg
We tried this Sicilian wine at an in-store tasting this afternoon, and liked it so much that we brought home a couple bottles and I made something to go with one of them. It's a 2013, so no waiting. Thinly sliced steak tips with shitake mushrooms (because, why not) in a red sauce. Came out great!

The tasting was done by a small distributor -- the compay is just the guy we were talking with, his brother, and his father. He was interesting to talk to, grew up in Boston but spent every summer from ages 5 to 13 with family in Campagna. Somehow that combination left him with a Bronx accent.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This thread needs a bump.

Quite atypical for a Seyval Blanc - but in a touristy way. Normally Seyval Blanc is lemonade acid with a mineral, slightly fizzy finish. This one has acid and fizziness up front - green apple acid without appley aroma, then a very brief minerality followed by - pineapple soup if that makes sense. If someone made chicken broth with a few pineapple chunks that would be the flavour here.

Oh and whatever amine gives headaches - I am informed that this wine has it in spades. (She has already gone for the meds.)

IMG_20170415_180512.jpg

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
This is my Saturday night offering. Very good for the price.

Awesome, I also had one. I finished it today, day 4 (didn't drink yesterday), and it was still going strong!

Bigger than regular Chianti, but not as much as your typical Brunello. Seems to have evolved nicely, after sleeping one year at home :)

20170415_214155.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online