• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Hey, on the scale of things here she beat out everything else on the private retailer's shelf.
Haven't even started working through the provincial store :)

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
View attachment 20665

Definitely not overripe or flat, enough acidity to work with red pasta sauce.

Frankly, even though I don't seek Merlot but do pick it up. Sideways and the overacted eulogy of Pinot and "no fragging Merlot" did a disservice to the former and a favor to the latter.

It's been hard to find good pinot and really easy to find good merlot. I dont give much of a crap. I drink stuff that I like and is currently a good value :) Cheers!

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
100% Swede (there are some German stuff going on 3-4 generations back). But I do go to Norway for skiing! And it was quite a chock to see Scandinavia in the US of A. MN is very much like Scandinavia -- not only when it comes to climate. Just like us, the Minnesotans are also reserved and passive aggressive

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Super nice if you let it breathe a bit before you drink. Considering it's a $12 a bottle wine - a find! I'm gonna get a few boxes. For imediate consumption.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I just purchased this on a friends suggestion, does anyone know anything about this Argentina vineyard? I was not planning on opening it today and was thinking of letting it sit in the bottle for a few months. Any thoughts?

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I just purchased this on a friends suggestion, does anyone know anything about this Argentina vineyard? I was not planning on opening it today and was thinking of letting it sit in the bottle for a few months. Any thoughts?

I don't know them or their winemaker. Here is tech sheet:
http://www.mascotavineyards.com/wp-content/files_mf/lamascotacabernetsauvignon2011mod1.pdf

From browsing the site a bit, it looks like a reserva. The Gran Mascota line is their Gran Reserva (probably from the older vines and also aged 18 months).

Congrats on picking an Argie Cab instead of Malbec :) I would put it to sleep at least 1 year from now, about 3 years from harvest. Unless you want to try it out to see if you buy a case, of course :) If you do try it now, I would expect some rough edges here or there ...

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I don't know them or their winemaker. Here is tech sheet:
http://www.mascotavineyards.com/wp-content/files_mf/lamascotacabernetsauvignon2011mod1.pdf

From browsing the site a bit, it looks like a reserva. The Gran Mascota line is their Gran Reserva (probably from the older vines and also aged 18 months).

Congrats on picking an Argie Cab instead of Malbec :) I would put it to sleep at least 1 year from now, about 3 years from harvest. Unless you want to try it out to see if you buy a case, of course :) If you do try it now, I would expect some rough edges here or there ...
My wife likes the "Argie Malbec" and I have had my share of them but give me a Cab any day.:wine::)

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
So not only did I hurt my knee (posted in another thread) and cancel my heli skiing trip (ditto ), but the Northeast blizzard canceled my connecting flight and has me stuck in Dallas, burning vacation, for two and a half days.

So I did as @Tony S suggested and googled for a wine bar. They have an argon dispensing system, so sell tastes as well as glasses.
20170314_165329.jpg
20170314_170249.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't recognize much, so going by grapes and regions. First up, a Lodi cab. Pretty good. Then a Chilean carmenere-- actually a bit TOO fruity.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
20170314_172642.jpg I'm trying not to let the price, or the fact that his Abstract Red is one of my favorite wines, bias me. But how can you? Orin Swift Papillion. 2013.
20170314_171800.jpg

Deep, opaque purple, legs for days. Flavor profile is between a tradional Bordeaux (which the tout sheet claims) and Abstract. Medium tannin levels, well integrated.