• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mostly wine stuff

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Nebawhat..?
bottles-of-wine-in-sizes1.jpg

I realize your photos were just different sizes. But my first reaction was . . .

And hey, I almost spelled it right! Well, sort of.

The number under each is how many standard bottles is inside. I've seen a few Nabu . . . but never drank anything that comes from one. I am told they require a special cradle to pour . . . I believe it. They stand waist high and the wine alone weighs 32 lbs!

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
It is my birthday. I am opening the first of 4 bottles that a good friend sent me a year ago for my bday as well. He said he was hoping they would last until 2020. So, I'm having one each year :D

This is an unusual Ribera, with 20% Cab, the rest tempranillo. Bigger and more muscular than typical Riberas. A bit less floral, but super complex. I had it over two days, and it was lovely, particularly after lots of decanting. Lots of spice towards the end of the second day. WS 94. Mendieta 93. But I have a strong feeling that each year I'll like it a little more.

20170305_150101.jpg

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Nobody in North America understands Viogner . . .
There was a time when I had high hopes for Virginia from producers like Barboursville and Horton but B. went to sweet white tourist pleasers and H. got vegetal and acid - dashed hopes.

In a dream world I would live 1-2 hours away from a Viognier producer who sold en vrac, I cannot believe I did not add that to my retirement thread criteria.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Nobody in North America understands Viogner . . .
I realize upon rereading that the object of that statement is unclear. I mean winemakers. They don't understand what to do with Viogner so they end up baking all of the beautiful floral qualities and acidity out of it and are left with a hot, unbalanced wine with nothing going on.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I realize upon rereading that the object of that statement is unclear. I mean winemakers. They don't understand what to do with Viogner so they end up baking all of the beautiful floral qualities and acidity out of it and are left with a hot, unbalanced wine with nothing going on.

You mean like in drowning Chardonnay in Oak? :D

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid