• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Overlooked Skis of the 2015/2016 Season

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
So for those of you in ski shops around the country, which 2016 skis do you feel were the most overlooked? Whether they were unheralded by magazine/website ski tests, or simply overshadowed by the "industry darlings", which skis sat on the wall unsold that really were deserving of buyers' attention in you opinion?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Oh boy, where do I start?

Nordica NRGy80
Blizzard Latigo
Scott Black Majic
Head iSpeed
Dynastar PowerTrack 84
Kastle LX82
Armada Invictus 89Ti
Head Monster 83
Salomon Q-Lab
Line Supernatural 92

I am sure I can come up with another 8-10

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I had a chance to demo the Invictus 89Ti the other day but desisted because the previous Armadas I have tried were a bit soft for typical inbounds conditions (but they were amazing in the backcountry). Maybe I should have. There are just so many choices nowadays it is kinda overwhelming. IMHO there is still room for improvement for ski manufacturers to get people to try different skis. They should be more aggressive sponsoring demo events (to regular folks not just journalists or industry pros) and demo shops in ski areas.

IIRC Rossignol has the Demo Experience at A-Basin (ok selection, not extensive) and in Copper there is the Copper Rocker demo center which has a nice selection but generally in other ski resorts it is not that easy to find a wide selection of demo skis slope side (for easy switching).

I see so many people on the wrong pair of skis for them (for the way they ski, the terrain they ski, the speed, the style etc) it is incredible. It took me years to recognize right away I was on the wrong ski. Now I am much more aware (even though I still rent since I have been skiing only 10-20 days a year) of skis and can adapt my style to suit a particular set of skis. Even though now I know better what I prefer I am still always asking and listening to those who know more and have tested more skis.

A lot of skis just make it harder to deal with the typical resort conditions (west) on advanced and expert terrain. Others make skied off groomers (EXTREMELY common at most Colorado Resorts) a dicey proposition!

IMHO most people who only ski occasionally (like those on vacation) should be on easy to ski skis. That is why the Rossignol Soul 7's are so popular in the Colorado Ski Resorts. Super easy to ski and negotiate common conditions in advanced terrain out west.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fischer Motive 95 ti. Overlooked in general, but several here and on Epic ski it and love it.

Nice shape, not too stiff, just damp enough. Maybe just a tiny bit more early rise than I prefer.

At Christmas time, they could be STOLEN for around $300.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
Oh boy, where do I start?

Nordica NRGy80
Blizzard Latigo
Scott Black Majic
Head iSpeed
Dynastar PowerTrack 84
Kastle LX82
Armada Invictus 89Ti
Head Monster 83
Salomon Q-Lab
Line Supernatural 92

I am sure I can come up with another 8-10

Great list to start! Of particular interest for me are the Latigo, Black Majic, Monster 83 and Invictus 89Ti. Was at a shop yesterday for an edge and wax, and was checking out the Monster 98 ... to a hand flex, it seemed like a really stiff tip in that ski. Is the Monster 83 similar?

How would you compare the Latigo and Black Majic in terms of on-snow feel? Where are the real strengths and compromises of each?

Just found out where I can demo the Invictus 89Ti, but it is a VERY small hill ... To properly get a feel for that ski, do I need to be somewhere with the opportunity to come across a good variety of conditions?

Fischer Motive 95 ti. Overlooked in general, but several here and on Epic ski it and love it.

Definitely interested in demoing this vs. the Ranger 98Ti ... any feel for comparison/contrast between these 2?

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Paging @Roby lukens to the white courtesy phone to comment on the Kastle 82. He demo'd them for a week in Steamboat over the holidays and had a great time on them. Go figure using a 82 at the Boat, but, he did it.

Interesting the Latigo makes the list for this season, when it was highly praised last year. Would like to try them again.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely interested in demoing this vs. the Ranger 98Ti ... any feel for comparison/contrast between these 2?

I own the Motives and have only skied the Ranger a couple of runs. Unfortunately, when I skied the Ranger, the conditions were Eastern packed snow, and I felt that the Rangers were quite vague on turn entry. It would be nice to get them into ungroomed terrain, because I think that this is what they are designed for; however, I have had the Motives in thigh deep snow and felt that the precision that they have on the groomed carries over to the ungroomed -- this suits the skiing style that I am aiming for quite well.

Brad

Booting up
Skier
I am very interested in hearing more about the Monster 83's! I'm slightly over 5'8" and about 175lbs. Ski in Colorado but likely moving back to New England before next season. Looking to purchase them during end of the season sales.

Roby lukens

Putting on skis
Skier
Paging @Roby lukens to the white courtesy phone to comment on the Kastle 82. He demo'd them for a week in Steamboat over the holidays and had a great time on them. Go figure using a 82 at the Boat, but, he did it.

Interesting the Latigo makes the list for this season, when it was highly praised last year. Would like to try them again.
Skied the Kastle LX82 for six days at Steamboat this past New Year's week. Demoed for the week out of Chad Fleischer's (sp?) shop near the gondola. Very convenient of course. The skis were ,I think, brand new and had lots of life (of course). The snow that week was more east coast packed powder and holiday scrape than the usual Steamboat fair so I appreciated their edge grip and versatility. Skied mostly groomed runs with some side of trail moguls (no new snow to speak of) so not a complete test of capabilities, but for someone who skis race skis on ice in the east, they worked out pretty well. Don't know how overlooked they are. There are so many Kastle models there are bound to be some that don't get much attention. I have also skied the Kastle mx78, fx84, and mx83 out of their shop in previous trips and these were as good as any. All different from each other but all good.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

No time on the Ranger, but I believe that Dawgcatching had some observations on that comparison in his review of the Motive (here or on Epic, or both).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Great list to start! Of particular interest for me are the Latigo, Black Majic, Monster 83 and Invictus 89Ti. Was at a shop yesterday for an edge and wax, and was checking out the Monster 98 ... to a hand flex, it seemed like a really stiff tip in that ski. Is the Monster 83 similar?

How would you compare the Latigo and Black Majic in terms of on-snow feel? Where are the real strengths and compromises of each?

Just found out where I can demo the Invictus 89Ti, but it is a VERY small hill ... To properly get a feel for that ski, do I need to be somewhere with the opportunity to come across a good variety of conditions?

I like all three of these skis a lot, Latigo, Black Majic and Monster 83. The Latigo and BM go up against each other with both being about 77-78 underfoot. The BM is a bit stronger on the groomers with mroe shape and going back to the heritage of the Bmack Majic name is a blast in the bumps. The Latigo with a straighter shape and more rise in the tail has the slight advantage off piste but really just splitting hairs. If the Black Majic had the proper graphics, yes I will not let this go, Scott dropped the ball here after they were handed a marketing goldmine, it would be the great in the east and the Latigo is my western pick between these too. But really I am jsut grasping at something to differenciate them.

I am very interested in hearing more about the Monster 83's! I'm slightly over 5'8" and about 175lbs. Ski in Colorado but likely moving back to New England before next season. Looking to purchase them during end of the season sales.

The Monster 83 is one of my favorites because unlike the Instincts it can be purchased flat and I can hard mount my binding on choice. The feel of these skis is Kastle like for 2/3 the price. The tough this is to find a shop that stocks them.

Brad

Booting up
Skier
@Philpug Definitely going to give the monster 83's a try this weekend! I'm very excited to add a low 80's quality ski to supplement my other skis.

dawgcatching

Snow? What is that?
Industry Insider
The Monster 83 is one of my favorites because unlike the Instincts it can be purchased flat and I can hard mount my binding on choice. The feel of these skis is Kastle like for 2/3 the price. The tough this is to find a shop that stocks them.

Just saying....https://www.dawgcatching.com/collections/head-1/products/2016-head-monster-83-ski

I will throw out another Head: Impact Pro TI. Perfect blend of Monster off-piste feel and Supershape carving prowess. Reminiscent of an MX83. Anyone else try this ski? I pre-ordered 2 pair and they didn't even show.

Other skis I liked that are overlooked:
Motive 95ti (still convinced this is the best non-premium road trip ski on the market)
Blizzard S8 carver (zero traction in the market, but as good as any carver out there)
Stockli Scale series (for me, the perfect blend of bump forgiveness, playfulness off piste, and good groomer performance)
Blizzard Brahma: super versatile frontside/all-mountain ride, but nobody seems to buy it.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just saying....https://www.dawgcatching.com/collections/head-1/products/2016-head-monster-83-ski

I will throw out another Head: Impact Pro TI. Perfect blend of Monster off-piste feel and Supershape carving prowess. Reminiscent of an MX83. Anyone else try this ski? I pre-ordered 2 pair and they didn't even show.

Other skis I liked that are overlooked:
Motive 95ti (still convinced this is the best non-premium road trip ski on the market)
Blizzard S8 carver (zero traction in the market, but as good as any carver out there)
Stockli Scale series (for me, the perfect blend of bump forgiveness, playfulness off piste, and good groomer performance)
Blizzard Brahma: super versatile frontside/all-mountain ride, but nobody seems to buy it.
There you go, @dawgcatching is stocking them, GRAB them.
Brahma's not selling for you? Might be the PNW, we can't keep them on the racks down here.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
If the Black Majic had the proper graphics, yes I will not let this go, Scott dropped the ball here after they were handed a marketing goldmine, it would be the great in the east

Hadn't really paid attention before, but now looking at the graphics for 2016 ... pretty sad! Did you like the 2015 graphics better?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hadn't really paid attention before, but now looking at the graphics for 2016 ... pretty sad! Did you like the 2015 graphics better?
Yes, the first year ones were the best, secong year's were good especially with the addition of the 180 in red. What they should have done was offered all skis in all sizes in all different colors. Should could have ordered skis in a mix of colors as singles. You could order pairs if you want but it would have been cool to get one yellow and one blue or two white or mix and match. But this ski was a big swing and a miss.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
These are the 2017's...
full

Graphics aren't bad, it is just not The Ski. Part of The Ski's graphics was creating the mystique of not saying it was The Ski. Kinda like a Federal Agent wearing a t-shirt that says "Undercover".

Last edited by a moderator:

TPJ

Like PBJ, but not as ubiquitous!
Instructor

I did a side by side review on Epic earlier this season. The short story is that The Ranger felt better on the powder and the Motive was better everywhere else. The Motive is good enough on powder that I dramatically prefered the Motive to the Ranger 98 overall. I am using a Ranger 108 as my powder ski this season and like it a lot as a ski for deeper soft snow.

TS
MattD

MattD

aka Hobbes429
Skier
I did a side by side review on Epic earlier this season. The short story is that The Ranger felt better on the powder and the Motive was better everywhere else. The Motive is good enough on powder that I dramatically prefered the Motive to the Ranger 98 overall. I am using a Ranger 108 as my powder ski this season and like it a lot as a ski for deeper soft snow.

Thanks for the feedback. I just read your comparison review on Epic ... you should post it here as well! Good descriptions and comparison/contrast. If I follow your insights, would it be likely that someone who is a little lighter than you, older, more of a finesse skier, and someone who only gets 12-20 days on the hill might lean more toward the Ranger 98 than the Motive 95? This is for East Coast skiing, but would be the 2nd pair in a 2-pair quiver ... already have a 77 waisted frontsider.

Sponsor

Staff online