• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Most Memorable Fall(s)

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
I only recently joined and I'm just having a blast at PugSki, how about you? Want to entertain ourselves by sharing our most memorable falls? Let's do it, share I mean. I have two.

Courchevel, late 70's, relatively new skier, maybe third season. Spalding Squadracourse (spelling?) skis with Alsop bindings, the ones with the peg, and mating hole drilled into boot sole, rather than a friction plate. Yellow rubbery plastic boot straps. Orange boots, can't remember which. Modest trail, easy blue, pretty flat except three rollers, kinda like a staircase. I decide I'm going to be a downhill racer, you know Jean Claude Kelly - I'm in France after all. I'd seen skiers tuck, done some myself. I'd been told what a pre-jump was. I figure, this is an easy course, how hard can it be, and I'm off. Aerodynamics wasn't so refined in those days, so my tuck was probably passable. First roller, I did it! Pre-jumps work, I've got some speed going! Second roller, wow, I guess I didn't get the timing right. I go into the air, both my skis pop off and they just drop. I mean, the skis are on the snow. I'm up in the air over the skis and I'm thinking, let's try to land in the bindings and click in! You know the rest; I did land feet first on both skis though. But, bam! Boots slide off them, hit the snow, and it was head over heels, over and over and over. My cousin had the pleasure of having a front row seat, saw the whole thing. Neither of us thought it was survivable.

Second. Whistler in the 80's. Can't remember the gear. I took a ski school class, one of those with the same instructor and students for a few days. Last day, class ended, have time for a couple more runs before heading in. I can't remember the run. I recall steep, some big bumps at the top, then funneling into a narrow gap between two cliffs (or two HUGE rocks, I don't recall, but big enough that they might as well be cliffs.) I drop in. I ski over a pole. OK, yes, it was my pole, and it was a yard sale. I know the cliffs are down below. I try to arrest, digging my boots in. Should have learned from the previous experience. Head over heels again. Gotta get control, cliffs! I just spread out, went limp, ended on my back head first, sliding straight down, I'm a torpedo. Cliffs! No helmets those days, not that it would have made a difference, so I just wrap my hands and arms around my head and pray. Again, you know the rest; I'm here aren't I? Yup, I threaded the needle, as Sean Connery and his sub did, just as suspensefully, in Red October, and continued the long, long slide down, head first, on my back. Came to a stop on the apron, picked myself up and looked at how far I had to climb to collect my gear. I get to a ski. Do I leave it and collect my other ski and poles further up first? What after that, I slide down to get the lower ski? uh-uh. There's the story of my first boot pack, with one ski.

Epilogue. Later that evening, I attended a ski school reception. Here's the thing, at the bottom of the run, skier's left, in the distance is a chairlift. My instructor comes up to me and asks, "was that you...?" It's Whistler. What are the odds? That day, I was both lucky and unlucky.

Please, share your falls with me, this community, and for posterity. And, if you know a friend or friends with a great story, implore them to share as well.

Last edited:

Frankly

Upwind of NY
Pass Pulled
Great (lucky) adventures, should be a good thread.

I remember one from the pre-ski brake era... fell at speed and knocked the wind out of myself. When I caught my breath and tried to stand up I couldn't. Nothing hurt or was broken so what the heck?

My safety-strapped sharpened-for-ice 210cm GS ski had entered my parka at the waist and sliced through the material at the shoulder, pinning me down. The ski tip was inches from my face, which could have really hurt.

agreen

Getting on the lift
Skier
Nice stories and fun topic... well unless it ends badly. Ill share one of each starting with the bad one.
I chased a storm on April fools day to Snowbasin. Hit it perfectly. 16" overnight and still dumping which means low viz. It was my 1st time there. I met a buddy from Ogden and his son for just one day of amazing powder skiing. Midweek, no lift lines, and all chairs running. Got 2 amazing runs in but unfortunately 3rd time was not a charm. We were in some trees and my buddy said ski to that house down there. He and his son went a little right and I went a little left. I went over a ledge I didn't see and my tips dove into a groomed cat track. Next thing I remember I was in the ER in Ogden looking at the clock which said 3pm. 5 hours gone. My 1st thought was oh no we only have 1 more hour to ski! Then my buddy, who waited there the whole time while I constantly repeated myself, told me we were in Ogden and not on the slopes. I have no recollection of the sled ride, the ambulance ride to Ogden, a Cat scan, and a shoulder Xray. Bad concussion and completely torn labrum in my shoulder requiring 6 metal anchors to reattach it to the bone. Felt the effects of the concussion for at least a year. Never ski on April fools day!!!

Good one:
Mammoth after 1 inch fell over firm surface. My first experience with dust on crust. 1st run of the day was some pretty big bumps. They looked so soft like big pillows. Dropped in and immediately yard saled. As I was gathering my stuff I saw something barely visible in the snow. It was my lift ticket. My pocket was open. No injuries and immediately headed for the groomers!!!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@agreen, speaking of April Fools Day, Stowe 2008 Philpug's Bumpfest Retro Day. The Trail: Goat. The conditions: Springtime big bumps. The Skis: 1974 The Ski with Tyrolia 350D..with safety straps. The Scenario: It started with a lapse in judgement. Taking (then) 30 year old skis with the same age bindings...with safety straps down one of the narrowest and steepest mogul trails in the east..what coudl go wrong? Well, pretty much ehat you could expect to go wrong...about 4 turns in, the binding releases and I start tumbling..and tumbling...down Goat. @KevinF was all the way down, he has a different story for the day (pics below) and @epic was about 1/3 the way down with camera in hand to get pics of the fall. But as I was tumbling down, the ski that had released was still attached to me via the safety straps so every other rotation, I got walked in the head reminding me that it was a poor life choice to take these skis down the trail. I believe the pictures are floating around, hopefully the only copies were not just on Epic.

fullsizeoutput_748.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_97b.jpeg

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Last year, I was following my daughter back to the lift, filming her with a gopro. I was gliding on my heels.

Wait, Mendieta, that's a poor choice! You are thinking.

Yes, now I know. Spring conditions, the right ski gets stuck on a sticky patch, and I get rotated that way as in a simple pivot around a fixed point. As soon as my ski frees up I am heading to the trees, hit the first one, and it was a loud freaking BOOM. I had a back pack that contributed to the noise.

I kept skiing that day, but I had a sore chest for like three weeks. My daughter keeps telling the anecdote every time we are talking about skiing.

"My dad likes skiing into trees", and other similar compliments. :huh:

Ah, the family memories, while skiing!

:)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Age 12, first run on brand new hart gremlins, skis were too big for me. Late October WROD. Only time I ever skied in October. 3rd or 4th turn crossed my tips and went over the handlebars.. ski released as it should have but then nunchucked the back of my head, safety strap days.. That hurt like hell and as I came to a stop then the safety strap that nearly killed me slipped off my boot and I sat there holding the back of my head as my ski took off down the hill and disappeared. Holding a bloody handful of snow on the back of my head I hobbled down the rest of the WROD on one ski to the bottom and spend a good 30 minutes looking for my BRAND NEW SKI with no luck I beban to tear up. Asked the liftee if it happened to end up near the lift corral. He called the patrol and they scowered the nooks and crannies along the bottom of the ski hill and finally found it. Asked me if I needed help for the blood dripping on the back of my jacket. I said no and went back to skiing until last chair that night. I skied a season on those skis but went 10 cm shorter the next season.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'll start by saying, I'm not the most graceful person in the world. A baby giraffe on a frozen pond would often be an accurate description. About 99% of my falls are caused by my own lack of grace and/or my innate ability to find tiny hidden treasures under the snowpack. Generally when my husband watches these falls, the following occurs (in this order):
1) Lots of laughing
2) "Are you okay?"
3) "Don't get up yet, let me grab my camera" (while more laughing ensues)

They say picture is worth a thousand words, so rather than type a story, here you go... (and I know my dear husband has many more words about this subject on his camera).

IMG_5812.JPG
IMG_5813.JPG
IMG_5811.JPG

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@elemmac your guy and mine would get along fabulously.

I am afraid of falling so it adds to my conservative nature of skiing and i don't push myself. I'm getting over that, pushing myself more and realizing falling is ok.

I am learning to laugh at myself more so next season I'm going to tell my guy it's ok to whip out the camera when i go down.

I had a fabulous face plant in soft spring bumps at Killington this past April and i wish I'd gotten it on camera.

Ah a goal for next season. :)

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
My safety-strapped sharpened-for-ice 210cm GS ski

Ahh, that brings back a memory. The windmill fall at Courchevel, my skis were also strapped on. I was windmilling, and both skis, on either side were as well. I recall thinking of windmills. Today, the image would be of wind farms.

TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Age 12, first run on brand new hart gremlins, skis were too big for me. I skied a season on those skis but went 10 cm shorter the next season.

Ooo, a smart 12 year old, unusual.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
@agreen, speaking of April Fools Day, Stowe 2008 Philpug's Bumpfest Retro Day. The Trail: Goat. The conditions: Springtime big bumps. The Skis: 1974 The Ski with Tyrolia 350D..with safety straps. The Scenario: It started with a lapse in judgement. Taking (then) 30 year old skis with the same age bindings...with safety straps down one of the narrowest and steepest mogul trails in the east..what coudl go wrong? Well, pretty much ehat you could expect to go wrong...about 4 turns in, the binding releases and I start tumbling..and tumbling...down Goat. @KevinF was all the way down, he has a different story for the day (pics below) and @epic was about 1/3 the way down with camera in hand to get pics of the fall. But as I was tumbling down, the ski that had released was still attached to me via the safety straps so every other rotation, I got walked in the head reminding me that it was a poor life choice to take these skis down the trail. I believe the pictures are floating around, hopefully the only copies were not just on Epic.

View attachment 24718 View attachment 24719

Phil, I took the photos of you on Goat. Epic was in the photo, not taking it, watching you go by. I'm pretty sure I have them somewhere, but not sure where. In the meantime, here is my start at creating a smiley from the photo. I never published it because it needs a bit more polishing, and then shrinking or format conversion.
phil-icon-01.jpeg
phil-icon-01.jpeg
phil-icon-01.jpeg
phil-icon-01.jpeg
phil-icon-01.jpeg

Jerez

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a similar experience to the OP that ended in a long tomahawk between rocks, but that's not my favorite.

Years, (and years and years) ago, my DH and I took a group bumps class with his best friend from childhood. We were so trying to do well. After we all stopped at the designated spot on the slope, the instructor gave a lecture on how to gather as a class, each person to ski below the last one in the group and face the same direction, yadda yadda. So the next time we stop, everyone dutifully obeys and skis below the instructor expect when DH's buddy comes along (the last skier), he catches an edge, plows into the instructor who was at the top of the line and every single one of us falls over like a line of dominoes.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Good thread.
Most memorable fall for me for two reasons
  • I was genuinely scared, and humbled
  • I was genuinely embarrassed at how I handled myself because I screamed like a 5 year old the entire time. :(

I was skiing during the WWSRA On Snow at Mammoth 3 years ago. Clem, (our good friend, and then Blizzard rep) suggested that we take chair 23 and ski Wipeout Chute because the wind buff in there was really good. After I took two turns near the top of the chute I got in the back seat a little, spun around on my heels and went down, really down...twisting and spinning. For anyone who knows this chute, you know that there are rocks and such sticking out into the area of the chute, so I was freaking out that I may slide into a rock on my way down.
At first I tried to self arrest, but then I just started screaming like a kid with a skinned knee, "Oh my gawd, I'm gonna die!!!"

I came to a stop at the bottom, near Phil's feet. The look on his face was -Holy shit, are you okay?!
Clem skied up to me and said...
Clem: You okay?
Me: Gimme a minute
Clem: Take your time
Me: I think I'm okay [visibly shaken]
Clem: You have to go back up there and slay the dragon that bit you.
Me: Not sure about that.
Clem: I'm sure.

I did go back up and I did ski it but it wasn't pretty and I took it really easy. Since then I've made it a point to ski it whenever its open just to make sure that I've got this.

Point of reference - Mammoth's map.
mmsa_wintertrailmap_frontside.jpg

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One of my most memorable falls didn't even happen to me. I was at Jackson Hole with a friend who wanted to ski Tower 3 Chute but was unsure about the moguled, sunbaked entrance. So I say, well we can take the "cheater" entrance through the woods that cuts off the top.

As we come through the trees, he is looking down the chute instead of where he is going and trips over a small rut, falling into the chute. One ski comes off, but he spins around and I think, ok, he is going to stop himself. Nope, other ski comes off. Tries to stop himself again and loses both his poles. He wraps his arms around his head and disappears though the choke and around the corner.

I follow him down, picking up his stuff and dreading what I'm going to find. I remember thinking, "what am I going to tell his wife?"

Amazingly, the flow took him safely past the rocks and he was unhurt, standing on the exit apron talking to his wife on the phone!

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, I took the photos of you on Goat. Epic was in the photo, not taking it, watching you go by. I'm pretty sure I have them somewhere, but not sure where. In the meantime, here is my start at creating a smiley from the photo. I never published it because it needs a bit more polishing, and then shrinking or format conversion.
View attachment 24723 View attachment 24723 View attachment 24723 View attachment 24723 View attachment 24723

@Tricia to the white courtesy phone. I think we have a new emoji.
:philgoat:Done!

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
OK, here goes. It was my 2nd day ever skiing, we were at Deer Valley and despite my instructor telling my wife I should not ski the Success Run yet, yep you guessed it, she took me down Success. It was not a problem the first couple of times, but the 3rd time was a charm. Towards the end of the long run there was a very steep (for me) section that was not icy, but it was very hard and slick.

Well, being a complete newbie I was (maybe I should make that present tense too :doh:)not good and as I was approaching the steep area I noticed that there were 5 people stopped at the top of the steep area on the left 1/3 of the run. Well, I started to panic because IF I went to the left of them I would be lengthening/widening my turn thus gaining a lot more speed than I was capable of controlling. Option 2 was to knock several and up to 5 people down in one fell swoop. Option 3 was to ski off the run to the left into a snow bank (luckily there had been a huge snow for two days prior to our arrival). I chose option 3 as it would spare me of excessive speed on a steep slope, and it spared me from wiping out 5 people in my first skiing accident.

My wife was skiing behind me, more like watching from a stationary position, then catching up when I got way out in front, but anyway, she watched me disappear into what I THOUGHT was a snow bank. In actuality it was a ravine that was full of snow.

1st person perspective: I was buried in snow and could not touch solid ground even with my poles. First thing I did was take a body inventory, and happily I did not have any painful parts!!! Somehow I was essentially suspended in the snow. I did manage to get one binding undone, but could not reach the other one. About this time a guy came to my rescue, and I could hear him talking to my wife who was of course very concerned for my health. The gentleman helped with the other binding and I crawled back to the groomed area.

3rd person perspective: Apparently my wife was able to make out some portion of my body while I was buried in the snow. Upon communicating that I was ok, she was still concerned and did not get her phone camera out (a fact that she still rues).

It was funny then and it is still funny. It was like the whole thing happened in slow motion, I seemed to have lots of time to make my decision.

Sponsor

Staff online