• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Money and time saving tips for parents of kids who ski

quant

Don't worry; just go down.
Skier
Thought I'd lift this thread I started years ago at the soon-to-be-defunct EPIC Ski. You know the deal, keep adding to the list to benefit others. Note: My kids aren't small anymore so I won't be following this thread.

This list is for people who are frugal and/or want an easier time on the slopes with their kids. Please add your ideas to this list (and fix any grammatical errors)!

1) Have your kids take ski lessons mid-week and ski with you on the weekends. If your kids are good, they will probably have no one else in their class mid-week giving them a private lesson for the cost of a group lesson.
2) If you find a great instructor for your kid, be sure to tip him/her well. Then tell the ski school director how great the instructor taught your little Bode or Lindsey. You will likely get the same instructor again.
3) Consider an adjustable helmet. It will last several seasons.
4) Make certain you know the resorts that do not charge for children’s lift tickets. Some resorts don't charge for kids under 6 or 7 with others charging $40 per day for all the little ones.
5) Little kids don’t know the difference between Heavenly and Homewood. Take the little groms to a smaller area while they are learning and save a bundle.
6) You can save 70% or more on long underwear, socks, etc. at Sierra Trading Post and other on-line outfitters. The sales on Labor Day are even better!
7) Instead of washing white and dark clothes separately, just buy dark everything and don’t worry about it. My wife once wondering why I only bought black underwear and turtlenecks for the kids.
8) The best place to find babysitters is at the ski school desk. Lots of staff there is always looking to earn extra money.
9) Kids need a break from skiing an entire week. Consider a full or partial day when you go tubing, visit a museum, take a train ride, go x-country skiing, etc.
10) It is too tiring for adults to ask little kids to do anything if the little ones are exhausted after a day of skiing. For example, sticking a toothbrush in their mouth is much easier than asking them to brush 10 times. They will listen again in the morning (maybe).
11) Save 70% or more by purchasing ski jackets in excellent used condition off eBay. I am amazed at how many people who live in warm states like Florida have quality children’s ski clothing for sale on eBay.
12) Consider Obermeyer ski pants and jackets for their “I Grow” feature, allowing the pants and sleeves to be let out another inch or two. Obermeyer also has nifty clips to keep gloves from getting dropped or lost.
13) Save 50%-75% by purchasing “new” skis that are last years or earlier model. Only the tops change on basic kids skis from year-to-year. Buying equipment is much less expensive than renting it if you ski 10 days per year. Best of all, you can sell your equipment and recoup at least 50% of the cost.
14) If you can tune your own skis, consider purchasing used equipment in good to excellent condition and then make the bottoms perfect. We all ski on the bottoms, right?
15) Helmets today are a given, but whistles are not. Purchase a good loud whistle (the kind that doesn't use a ball) and clip it to your kid's jackets. Whistles are a great signaling device if your kids get lost, stuck in a tree well (not a fun experience), etc. The whistles can also be used when you go camping or hiking.
16) There are occasionally fabulous deals on clothing found on www.geartrade.com . This is Backcountry's site for getting rid of returned and/or slightly defective items. Many items have never been used, but simply are missing the tags.
17) If you have a large trunk/SUV, buy one of those big tubs and throw all the kids stuff in it at the end of the day. You can sort it all out later when you get back home or back to your rental accommodations. When the kids are older they can carry their own junior-sized boot bags.
18) Do whatever you can to keep children's gloves off the snow. Use wrist straps or clips on the jackets.
19) Don't skimp on gloves or mittens. HESTRA, Burton, and a few others make decent gloves and mittens for the kids.
20) If you have a 3 or 4-year old who can ski, consider a harness to help them on and off the chairlifts.
21) Those edgie-wedgie things are useful for the smallest skiers. They will outgrow them soon enough.
22) Martial arts is the absolute best cross training for the little kids. They will strengthen their legs and stomachs and become flexible...all good for skiing.
23) Consider a backpack when skiing with kids. Having extra gloves, water, a place to store that extra layer, hand warmers, etc. is useful.
24) Kids know when they are tired. Don't push them, particularly when it is cold. The idea is to have them want to ski the next day, the next year, etc.
25) Skiing can be dangerous, particularly on the East Coast when there are more WRODs. Ski behind your kids when the slopes are crowded, make sure they learn to look uphill after stopping on a slope, make sure they try to stop on the side of slopes, etc.
26)
27)

1chris5

Getting off the lift
Skier
26. For equipment, don't forget to buy and sell on Craigslist. I have had a good experience selling used gear there. I like to get the old equipment out of the house to get rid of clutter and help pay for the new gear.
27. If buying new or used, always look for high quality gear. You can often pick up great stuff for just a little more than lower quality, usable gear; this includes clothing. Warm kids are happier kids. Better tools lead to better results. Higher quality used gear may also be safer.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
29) Know what school age discounts are available. For example, Colorado fifth and sixth graders ski practically free.
30) Don't buy boots that are too big or too stiff. Instead, find a rental program that will allow you to swap out sizes as the kid grows, or buy and sell on Craigslist or similar. Some ski area rental/sport shops will have better deals than what you find in town. Make a couple calls instead of making assumptions.
31) Many ski areas have a deal where you buy a pack of three ski lessons and get a free season pass for less than or the same cost as a season pass.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
32) Pack lots of snacks and food. Carry something easy to eat in your pockets for the chair lift ride pick me ups. It's much less expensive than last minute lunch in the lodge.

skichickee

Chaser of Lil' Rippers
Skier
33) Take hand warmers out on the way to the resort in the car, if they have more time in the open air before sliding into mittens/gloves they work much better. Also take the warmers out at lunch (they need air to continue working) to get them hot again.
34) For families with multiple kids: I tell my kids whoever is ready with all their gear on first gets to pick the first run (within reason), it's proven to be a great motivator for us while getting ready in the parking lot.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January