• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Arizona/New Mexico Mini trip report/Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
There are places one should ski because they're there. Those places don't have to be big, or have huge lines, or even great aprés ski. Some can even be where you wouldn't expect a ski area. Take Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley in Arizona, for instance. Tucked on the north side of Mt. Lemmon in the Santa Catalina Mountains about 30 or so driving miles north of Tucson, Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley is one of those must ski places.
20240223_084215.jpg
The trail map may not look like a lot but there are several challenging descents.

First of all, the getting there is as pretty as any drive to any other ski area. Starting out on the north part of Tucson you go through what I'd term as scrub brush and low cacti. A little further up and you enter a saguaro forest. Pass through these massive cacti and you next enter Molino Canyon, which has a nice little creek running through it. Higher elevation brings amazing rock outcroppings, hoodoos, and other unique formations. As the top of the mountains appear there are tall pines, firs, and aspen. Several years ago there was a devastating fire on the mountain that nearly took the town of Summerhaven with it but, fortunately, the town was saved.

20240223_070313.jpg 20240223_070345.jpg 20240223_071058.jpg 20240223_071905.jpg 20240223_072715.jpg 20240223_072727.jpg 20240223_072808.jpg

On to the ski area. Open since 1944, Ski Valley is entirely dependent on what Mother Nature offers. Because of the unsure nature of, well, nature, no season passes are available. Unfortunately, I failed to note pass prices, though I believe they were $75 for adults, $65 for over 60 (yay! I got a discount!), and $55 for over 70. There are also half day, and kid passes along with rentals. I did see that lockers were a mere $.75!
20240223_084913.jpg
$.75 lockers? In what century am I?

20240223_084538.jpg
Turning 60 is paying off big time!

There is one main two seat non-detachable chair that serves most of the mountain, with a short 2 pack and a surface tow serving the beginner area. On the 200 acres there are 21 runs but it looks like there could be some tree skiing when the snow is deeper.
20240223_105628.jpg
The main chair passes almost directly over the smaller one.

20240223_104600.jpg
Cuddly!

The weather when I was there was in the upper 40s to lower 50s, though the aspect, shade from trees, and high cloud cover kept things pretty crispy, even near the base. I imagine it may have softened somewhat as the day wore on but I only skied until about 11:30 as I had obligations in Tucson.
20240223_085806.jpg
Looks soft. Not soft.

While none of the runs are particularly long, several have some rather serious pitch. Throw in fairly frozen moguls and you have the makings for some challenging runs. Even one of the patrollers noted to me that it was a bit crunchy.

With a base of 8,200' and a summit at 9,157', Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley offers around 900' of vertical with the longest run coming in at 8,500'. Grooming is done on the greens and several of the blues but the blacks appear to be left to their own designs.
20240223_090539.jpg
Tucson from the top

There is a small gift shop, rentals, and a small snack bar but no lodge. Restrooms consist of a line of portable units in the small parking lot. I suggest getting there early, especially when the snow is good, to get a spot. Usually when the snow is good, however, the road is closed. It doesn't take much of a storm to close the road. That makes sense as it is quite twisty with several spots that have high consequences should a vehicle depart the road. While frustrating it must also be noted there aren't an abundance of 3 peak snowflake tires in the Tucson area!
20240223_081857.jpg
Get there early. Maybe not 7:45 early, but early.

After skiing, head across the road to Iron Door restaurant. They offer a varied menu but are know for their chili and home made pies. If that doesn't pique your interest, the town of Summerhaven is just two miles down the road. It's a neat little mountain village with a couple of restaurants, some shops, cabins, an inn, and a place that makes cookies the size of your head!
20240223_121640.jpg
Nice menu

20240223_122947.jpg
Big as head cookies. That's a dinner plate.

If you can't make it up the Catalina Highway in the winter, don't despair. Mt. Lemmon Ski Valley is open all year and you can hop the lift to the top just for the view (and to get out of the sweltering heat in Tucson). There are numerous pullout along the way and I suggest using them to take in the incredible scenery. There are also several picnic areas and campgrounds. As you drive up this wonderful road, be aware it is a bucket list ride for many, many road cyclists. Even in the cooler months there are dozens of riders from the very bottom all the way to the top...and at the cookie place!
20240223_121550.jpg
Cookie bikers

20240223_132334.jpg
Official "I skied Lemmon" photo

Attachments

• 20240223_081857.jpg
    20240223_081857.jpg
    714 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240223_090217.jpg
    20240223_090217.jpg
    687.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I mean, by the time you open the Rose locker the 35th time, it's actually become cheaper!
But I wouldn't have time to ski!

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
Great TR!

Did the ski area gift shop have cool t-shirts?

I’d like to visit some time and get a t.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Great TR!

Did the ski area gift shop have cool t-shirts?

I’d like to visit some time and get a t.
They have in the past but I didn't go in this time.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Such a cool trip report. Thanks for sharing.

Vampire Cat

Putting on skis
Skier
Looks fun. I drove up to the area recently while nearby for some climbing and peeked at the slopes from the base. Didn't have time to ski, but was a fun drive. Now I wish I stopped for a cookie though!

Daniel

Out on the slopes
Skier
Nice trip report/photos. I was one of those cyclists ascending Mt. Lemmon but not on the day you drove up to ski. I was on a 3-week work assignment in Scottsdale in May of 2009 and spent one of the intervening weekends with relatives in Tucson. Had an opportunity to cycle up the Catalina Highway from their home and added on a hike to the high point of the Mt. Lemmon ski area for a great view of the surrounding area. As you stated, quite a picturesque trip and some of the nearby rock formations were being ascended by the weekend climbing crowd during my ride up and back.

markjs

Skiing is believing
Skier
I lived in Tempe for a couple of years (it sucked) and wanted to hit Mt Lemmon up, but they never opened one year and only for 10 days or so the other and I just didn't make it. Went there a few times in the summer to beat the heat, amazing drive up. Had a great lunch at a place in Summerhaven. In the summer you can drive around and up to where the main chairs unloads. Crazy views down in to Tucson.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Thanks for the trip report.
We were down in Tucson in 03. Thought it would be home but what did we know?
The snow did not cooperate for skiing.
It would have been fun to have skied Cleary Summit (northern most outside of Fairbanks) and Mount Lemmon (southern most).
Such is life.

Sponsor