• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mikaela Shiffrin

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Do ski manufacturers still build proto skis with blank topsheets? I know that used to be a common practice but don't know anymore. That could be an explanation for solid red graphics.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Do ski manufacturers still build proto skis with blank topsheets? I know that used to be a common practice but don't know anymore. That could be an explanation for solid red graphics.

No, that is next years graphics. But yes, always used to be fun to go out on skis with a plain white top sheet and maybe a small "prototype" lettering...

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Yup, she was training on Red Dog last weekend, with the battery of GS skis on full display at the bottom (188 R>30). And she was polite enough to agree to take a picture with my racer daughter, who was thrilled to the point of barely being able to say a word:) So now both my kids have a picture with MS, the first one from the nationals few years ago when she was not yet a superstar and was just hanging by the Funitel watching men's race. JF's video looks like someone's kid is almost ambushing her, that's not cool.
Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 8.44.23 AM.png

The skis are numbered and labeled, so you won't mistake the owner. They are also QR coded behind the bindings.
Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 8.47.51 AM.png

Alexzn

Ski Squaw
Skier
Do not know. I cannot imagine her needing more than 6 pairs that were there. My guess is that she was testing a few pairs to pick the ones she liked, as I am sure there are subtle differences that matter at her level. Athletes of that caliber apparently also demo ;-)

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
The 50 is likely a code for the actual ski design. The sidecut, the layup, etc. The 12 might be a pair number. My hunch. Sometimes both numbers refer to design.

She will likely be testing a number of different skis. Though the women simplify it. A lot of data is being compiled, including things as hard to measure as her impression, what a ski feels like, etc.

We once had three top seed men with their GS skis on our tuning room for a week. Not during a testing period. Probably had a half dozen different skis, and 2-3 of each, with each of them! Now, these guys were serious fiddlers, and it was in the early days of 35M skis. Nobody was super confident in their skis. Other than Ligety.

Remember she is not the only one testing. She might have been one of the few last week, but others at the top of the Atomic stable are doing the same. And if they are good enough to have factory support, the info will be shared among the techs. Even if Eileen thinks not.

So if 50 is a design code, she probably has a few. They are messing with structure, as well plates and mounting points, delta. Complicated stuff. Made more so by a general lack of confidence that her GS set up has been optimal. Good, but not perfect.

As long as they have it right by Soelden.

Then of course, we have boots......

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The 50 is likely a code for the actual ski design. The sidecut, the layup, etc. The 12 might be a pair number. My hunch. Sometimes both numbers refer to design.

She will likely be testing a number of different skis. Though the women simplify it. A lot of data is being compiled, including things as hard to measure as her impression, what a ski feels like, etc.

We once had three top seed men with their GS skis on our tuning room for a week. Not during a testing period. Probably had a half dozen different skis, and 2-3 of each, with each of them! Now, these guys were serious fiddlers, and it was in the early days of 35M skis. Nobody was super confident in their skis. Other than Ligety.

Remember she is not the only one testing. She might have been one of the few last week, but others at the top of the Atomic stable are doing the same. And if they are good enough to have factory support, the info will be shared among the techs. Even if Eileen thinks not.

So if 50 is a design code, she probably has a few. They are messing with structure, as well plates and mounting points, delta. Complicated stuff. Made more so by a general lack of confidence that her GS set up has been optimal. Good, but not perfect.

As long as they have it right by Soelden.

Then of course, we have boots......

Atomic writes their flex numbers in black like that on/around the tails. They are usually in the 20's through the 40's though. The lower the number set the softer the flex. An example would be a GS ski at 47/37. I've never seen the numbers at the tips like that. It's definitely a coding and it's definitely setup for her given the MS on the ski. Now I'm curious..........

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Atomic writes their flex numbers in black like that on/around the tails. They are usually in the 20's through the 40's though. The lower the number set the softer the flex. An example would be a GS ski at 47/37. I've never seen the numbers at the tips like that. It's definitely a coding and it's definitely setup for her given the MS on the ski. Now I'm curious..........

Pretty sure it is not the flex numbers, they are hand written, probably the test no . Also of note, since Atomic went to the full sidewall sandwich, the numbers have dropped (i.e nominally stiffer). Where you would previously expect 45/35 as the Medium flex on a GS ski they are now more commonly found at 35/25. and no, I am not sure why !

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Pretty sure it is not the flex numbers, they are hand written, probably the test no . Also of note, since Atomic went to the full sidewall sandwich, the numbers have dropped (i.e nominally stiffer). Where you would previously expect 45/35 as the Medium flex on a GS ski they are now more commonly found at 35/25. and no, I am not sure why !

I agree, it's not a flex number. I've a couple generations of Atomic racers at the house. I'll have to examine and compare the numbers. It has to be some kind of a set up code or batch number that is set up or manufactured a certain way.........

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Jeff, can you try to repost that image. Not coming through, at least for me, and my phone.
Thanks!

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Jeff, can you try to repost that image. Not coming through, at least for me, and my phone.
Thanks!
Its not working.....trying to find the image from another source. It's from a new photo shoot promo with Mikaela for the 2018 Olympics.......

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
It's just a ski id number. Nothing to do with flex, but basically number to identify ski. It means a lot to someone who knows what these codes are, but it's Kim's (her serviceman) thing. He puts these things on, and he knows what they mean. It can be ski model, it can be ptex, it can be structure, and normally it's also ski number, as racers always have more then single pair with same structure, same ptex and same model. But these things are different from serviceman to serviceman and each puts his own stuff there helping him identify skis easier.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here are the pictures I promised. These are the flex numbers on the tails of 4 of my Atomics. The DH and my shorter SG set are stiff at 49/39. The 210 SG set is a more medium flex at 46/36. My Redster GS skis at 190 are 44/33.
IMG_0413.JPG
IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0416.JPG

Sponsor