• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Men's intermediate all-mountain ski suggestions

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
A colleague of mine is looking to get new skis and asked me for suggestions, so I figured I would ask here. He is an intermediate skier and grew up skiing in Europe on groomers and really struggles with soft snow, powder, and ungroomed terrain. He can link turns and carve decently on groomed terrain and is comfortable on blues and can be tentative on steeper blacks. He is 5'10, 190 lbs, and mostly skis at Targhee and sometimes in Utah. He is looking for a ski that he can grow into, and that he can start developing his skills on ungroomed terrain and powder before eventually making his way off trail on them. He already has a ski that is 71 underfoot (it is an older Dynastar, but I can't remember the model), so I was thinking a ski in the 90-100 underfoot range would be good, maybe something like the K2 Pinnacle 95. Any suggestions for a good all-mountain ski for an advancing intermediate who skis in the West and wants be able to ski all over the mountain in the next few years? Thanks!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I would suggest he try an easy ski to ski in that width range (but still quite capable and versatile) like the Rossignol Sky7HD in 180 length. The Soul7HD in 180 as well even though its wider it is an easy ski to ski as well. Skis like the Salomon Rocker2 100 are similar.

There are some folks here with PLENTY of experience on many skis in that width range that will chime in shortly.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@MAB I like the idea of the Pinnacle 95. It is a very easy ski to ski yet under the feet of someone who have good technical skills, it does come alive on the groomers and mixed conditions. Another ski I like that did a Cage Match Comparision with the K2 is the DPS Cassair 95. I would also add the Armada Invitca 95 and Salomon QST 92/99 into the converation and if he wants a bit more power, the Volkl 90Eight.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A good friend of mine was in a similar boat last year, tried the Nordica NRGY 90s, and loves them. He's super lanky, 6'6" and about 190-200lbs(?), bought them in a 177, but probably could have gone with the 185. Only thing he doesn't like is them in deeper powder (deep for the east coast). But honestly, I think that has more to do with technique than the ski itself. He loves them on groomers, in crud and in any other condition though.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I would add the Dynastar Powertrack 89 to the list. I am loving them, and I seem to be in a similar situation as your friend. Good carving but also good flotation, playful and forgiving, stable in crud. I wouldnt go too long if he chooses the PT.

TS
M

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks for all these suggestions. There is a demo day at our local mountain this weekend, so we will get out and try some of these.

Would the Nordica Enforcer 93 work for someone like him, or is it too much ski?

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Would the Nordica Enforcer 93 work for someone like him, or is it too much ski?

I feel like there is a lot of love for the Nordica Enforer, and I get that. When I'm on them I can see why there is good feedback about them. That being said, for me, they are not a ski I feel "comfortable" on. As an intermediate skier, I feel like I have to be skiing my best to feel good about them. I don't find them to be as much of a "grow into ski" as much as the others. I feel like confidence is important in getting better and I don't generally get my confidence boosted by the enforcer.
My short list from the ones mentioned would be
K2 pinnacle 95
Dynastar Powertrack89

TS
M

MAB

Putting on skis
Skier
@Stephen

Interesting. That is helpful. As an advanced skier, I have had the opposite experience with the Enforcers (100). I find that they inspire confidence, which is why I thought of the 93. Do you feel like they aren't "grow into skis" because they they are too far above the ability range of an intermediate, or just because you don't particularly like them?

I have skied the Pinnacle and liked it, but ultimately decided against it because it got bucked around a bit too much in chop and tracked out snow for me.

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Stephen

Interesting. That is helpful. As an advanced skier, I have had the opposite experience with the Enforcers (100). I find that they inspire confidence, which is why I thought of the 93. Do you feel like they aren't "grow into skis" because they they are too far above the ability range of an intermediate, or just because you don't particularly like them?

I have skied the Pinnacle and liked it, but ultimately decided against it because it got bucked around a bit too much in chop and tracked out snow for me.

I feel they are too above an intermediate ability range. I like the enforcer when I am having an amazing run but if my confidence falls off at all they are not a ski I feel will pick me back up.
For me, I think of it like buying a ski jacket for a kid. Often you would buy one that they can grow into. However, I would not give them my adult ski jacket. Growing must happens in steps.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fischer Motive 95 180cm .... as it is discontinued you might be able to find some remaining stock at pretty cheap prices.
Plenty of very positive reviews all over the place.
But it may not be as soft snow oriented as he may like.

The QST 99 also looks interesting. I might grab the QST 106 as a travel-ski.

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I feel they are too above an intermediate ability range. I like the enforcer when I am having an amazing run but if my confidence falls off at all they are not a ski I feel will pick me back up.
For me, I think of it like buying a ski jacket for a kid. Often you would buy one that they can grow into. However, I would not give them my adult ski jacket. Growing must happens in steps.

The Enforcer is a weird ski. If you just want to cruise around the slopes and have a nice relaxing day hitting varied in bounds terrain, it probably isn't the ski for you. If you want to blast the whole mountain shredding huge GS turns through 10" of chopped up powder and crud they are some of the most confidence inspiring skis you will ever ride. I think the name very much fits this ski.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
@Stephen

The 93 is stiffer slightly than the 100, and the narrow sidecut would punishes heel pushing much faster than the 100 as well. I would concur that I feel the E93 is to much for someone who is level 4-5 skier but could be a grow into ski for a L6, where as some heavier,stronger, faster L8+ would find it to soft in certain condition.

to the OP I think next years Brahma CA(aka the Bushwacker) could fit the bill If he wants wider these could work as well.

https://www.amazon.com/2014-Blizzard-Kabookie-Skis-flat/dp/B00E1LKJIM

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The 93 is stiffer slightly than the 100, and the narrow sidecut would punishes heel pushing much faster than the 100 as well. I would concur that I feel the E93 is to much for someone who is level 4-5 skier but could be a grow into ski for a L6, where as some heavier,stronger, faster L8+ would find it to soft in certain condition.

to the OP I think next years Brahma CA(aka the Bushwacker) could fit the bill If he wants wider these could work as well.

https://www.amazon.com/2014-Blizzard-Kabookie-Skis-flat/dp/B00E1LKJIM

NOT the Kabookie. Even though it is lighter than a Bonafide...it is just as stiff, if not stiffer. It is not a 98mm Bushwacker.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
he is a 190lb.....

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Vantage 90 cti was a nice ride, very stable, quick turn initiation and holds well.
I haven't been on the Vantage 95.
I thought the Enforcer 93 was an easy ski to enjoy, but maybe I was skiing above my usual mediocre level that day.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
I like the enforcer when I am having an amazing run but if my confidence falls off at all they are not a ski I feel will pick me back up.

^^^ This! To me, an intermediate skier looking to improve needs to gain confidence, to become an aggressive skier in most terrain (i,e,, truly advanced / Level 7). An OTT ski will delay this. So will a crappy ski.

From the original description at the top of the thread, it seems like the biggest issue with the older skis for this guy has been the thin underfoot. You need TRULY good technique to ski soft snow and crud with narrow skis. Having said that, I feel like for someone of his size, particularly his height, 100mm might be a bit too wide to keep improving technique. It will probably make it a bit hard to put on high edge angles. I would stay around 90mm.

But, back to @Stephen's point, you want a confidence inspiring ski, above all.

In terms of buying a ski for the next few years, I think experts are more likely to have that luxury. An intermediate is in the fun part of the learning curve, where you improve a lot each season, if you can put a good number of ski days. So, in my case, one of the things I liked of the PT was the price point. I am more than happy if i can get 2 years out of them.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I never thought I'd say this, but for the OP's friend's abilities, how about a Soul 7?

The guy skis mostly at TARGHEE, where it snows about 3 days out of every 2! ogwink

Sponsor

Staff online