• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marin Hawk Hill-any opinions?

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I find myself really wanting a mountain bike. I can't afford much (daughter in college), but I've read the reviews on the Marin Hawk Hill, and it seems like a decent enough (for the price) bike to start with. My last mountain bike was fully rigid, and I bought it in 1990. I've only borrowed or rented full-suspension bikes in the past few years. My local bike and ski shop has the Hawk Hill for $1399. I live in the flatlands, so mostly road ride, but I spend lots of time in Sonoma County (Annandel) and am only 45 minutes from the Sierra foothills and two hours from Tahoe. So I'll probably be riding a variety of terrain, but nothing too technical. Trying to find a good used bike is too time-consuming for me. Do any of you have any experience with this bike? Are there other trail bikes I should look at? I'm not interested in top-of-the line, just want a solid, inexpensive mountain bike to use until my daughter graduates.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Do you have a "Play it Again Sports" in your area? Sometimes they have some pretty good slightly used bikes in those places for not a bad price.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Do you have a "Play it Again Sports" in your area? Sometimes they have some pretty good slightly used bikes in those places for not a bad price.
There are several "Play It Again Sports," within an hour or so of here. Maybe I'll check them out, thanks. I have been looking at Craig's List (on and off for a couple of years), but have never found anything that made me want to drive to see it. I'm pretty lazy about driving around shopping for a used bike, but you never know. I have a friend who has never bought a new bike, and she has both a beautiful road and beautiful mountain bike.

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I went out to look at mountain bikes and bought another road bike. Oops. Someone had returned a Specialized Amira Comp he'd bought for his wife; she didn't like the color. I got it for a $1000 off! I m so excited and can't wait to go for a ride!

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I got my Hawk Hill! Took it out for a 9.5 mile ride at Annadel State Park in Sonoma County. Did a little single track, some steep fire road climbs, and some rocky descents. I can't complain about the bike, but I need to get in better climbing shape (both for road and mountain).
IMG_9124.JPG

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some post-purchase reinforcement from this month's Bicycling Magazing:

"The Marin Hawk Hill is by far, without exception, the best-riding, fully capable, $1,500 full-suspension bike I've ever been on".

Enjoy!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
but I need to get in better climbing shape (both for road and mountain.

Don't we all!! :D I had the road bike out a bit and I was happy to be killing it with the trailer on the back. Managed to do some modest out of the saddle climbing while dragging 80lbs (darn kid is getting big). Heading up to Sudbury this weekend, going to try and get out to some singletrack with a club up there. Hopefully some photos of beautiful northern Ontario to follow! :)

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Some post-purchase reinforcement from this month's Bicycling Magazing:

"The Marin Hawk Hill is by far, without exception, the best-riding, fully capable, $1,500 full-suspension bike I've ever been on".

Enjoy!
Yes, I saw that before I bought. Saw a bunch of positive reviews, and not having had a full suspension bike to compare it to, just went for it. When my daughter graduates in a few years, I'll re-evaluate and see if I want to upgrade. So far, it's working out :)

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't we all!! :D I had the road bike out a bit and I was happy to be killing it with the trailer on the back. Managed to do some modest out of the saddle climbing while dragging 80lbs (darn kid is getting big). Heading up to Sudbury this weekend, going to try and get out to some singletrack with a club up there. Hopefully some photos of beautiful northern Ontario to follow! :)
That sounds like good training! I rode my new road bike today; carbon fiber sure makes a bike ride smooth. I was so much more comfortable at the end of my ride. Looking forward to pics from Canada!

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@luliski - so glad you brought this brand to light as Mrs C. has been looking for a new ride as well.
She's 5'5" and been demoing smalls in Kona and Salsa and has been told a 13.5 frame in a 27.5 fits her best.

Can you offer up what size you ended up picking relative to your height ?

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@luliski - so glad you brought this brand to light as Mrs C. has been looking for a new ride as well.
She's 5'5" and been demoing smalls in Kona and Salsa and has been told a 13.5 frame in a 27.5 fits her best.

Can you offer up what size you ended up picking relative to your height ?
Of course! I'm 5'6" and got a small (not sure of the frame measurements). It has 27.5 wheels. Happy bike shopping!

TS
luliski

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Catskill carver, one thing to be aware of: even though the Hawk Hill has bottle cage mounts, when we put a bottle in the cage, the shock would hit the bottle. I wanted to be able to have a bottle cage, but it wasn't enough to keep me from buying the bike.

Sponsor

Staff online