• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Margheritas

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So who's got secret recipes?

Personally I prefer Tommy's in winter served in a tumbler with big ice cube, no salt, and a classic M with salted rim/ traditional glass in the spring/summer/fall.
Tommy's 6/2/2 Tequila/fresh lime/agave syrup shaken in ice. Consumed on the rock(s).
Classic 5/3/2 tequila/cointreau/lime shaken in ice. Consumed up.
Use a reposado Tres Tonos Tequila.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It is absolutely no secret whatsoever that I think two things are MSG for juice-based drinks: mango and papaya. Yes, half a tsp of either even in lime-juice based drinks.

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Interesting ... I have to try that. Do you spoon some of the meat out, or juice..?

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
An in depth study on this topic is warranted. Kind of a head to head thing perhaps. This would be a true Public Service.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Nice thread, Swede. I love wine so I rarely drink anything else, but Mrs Mendieta loves my Margaritas.

We lived in the SW of the US in the past, so these are second nature to us. The big NO-NO is the infamous "margarita-mix". You need a real fruit. Lime, right?

Sure. But we are Blessed by a phenomenal Meyers lemon plant in our house that yields amazing fruit, all year around. So Ipick up a fresh lemon and make her a margarita.

These are milder lemons, super flavorful. So I use whatever comes out of it, and mix by eye and by taste. It's usually 2 parts of lemon to 3 of tequila reposado, and then 1 or less of Grand Marnier. This last one is a float, and I adjust to taste.

I serve the lemon/tequila on a lot of crushed ice in a frozen white wine glass. I add the Grand Marnier at the end, little by little, until I hit the spot. I am not sure this step is necessary, but it's a diplomatic way of stealing part of my sweetie's drink while I am officially drinking something else.

image-20170127_191356.jpg

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

3 parts decent silver tequila (try Milagro or Don Eduardo)
2 parts Cointreau or Patrón Citrón
1 part fresh-squeezed lemon (that's right lemon) juice

Shake with ice, pour. Salt, if you must. Enjoy!

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
fun, I will now have to try again since Super Bowl Margs ...

I've been partial to the 3, 2, 1 mix other than fresh squeezed lime or if desiring more mild, orange juice. Too, if lacking Cointreau using Grand Marnier,

here's a file from my brother in law, he's tried many of these as I have at his home, course, I think as Jimmy Buffet may, any Margarita is fine by me

Attachments

• Margaritas3.pdf
    64.1 KB · Views: 7

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
ah,

I'm a bit lower on alcohol with the 3,2 ,1 .. lime being 2 ... or more like @Mendieta

3 parts tequila, two parts lime and/or orange juice, one part Cointreau (or Grand Marnier) (or you can use Cointreau as the mixer, then drizzle Grand Marnier on top). The trick is fresh lime juice, not squeezing to bitter taste.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
margarita.jpg
:P Who was it that said "'Bitter' - It's the gateway to adult taste?"

agreed, my Super Bowl mix was a wee on the bitter but I liked it, however I failed to add Salt to the rim ... Patron, Lime, Cointreau ... 3,2,1

on alternate note, is it analogous to say .. Blush is the gateway to a Cab?

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
OK, you've covered the basics already. Here are a few pro tips. My wife makes the best margaritas on the planet, so I'm claiming pro after 15 years of marriage.

-you must have flake salt for the rim
-blended? get out. now. on the rocks, always
-sparkling water (or tonic for a unique twist) always by taste, limes vary in acidity
-simple syrup, again by taste only, as fruit varies in acidity/sweetness

And, for something really simple that will wow your friends and influence taste buds, add these to your margarita:
-paper thin slices of radish
-paper thin slices of jalapeno
-a tiny pinch of diced cilantro
Trust me!

Margaritas are not Mexican. They come from Texas. But they have found their way back to mexico, where they are fairly popular--and not just at Sr Frogs.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
OK, you've covered the basics already. Here are a few pro tips. My wife makes the best margaritas on the planet, so I'm claiming pro after 15 years of marriage.

-you must have flake salt for the rim
-blended? get out. now. on the rocks, always
-sparkling water (or tonic for a unique twist) always by taste, limes vary in acidity
-simple syrup, again by taste only, as fruit varies in acidity/sweetness

And, for something really simple that will wow your friends and influence taste buds, add these to your margarita:
-paper thin slices of radish
-paper thin slices of jalapeno
-a tiny pinch of diced cilantro
Trust me!

Margaritas are not Mexican. They come from Texas. But they have found their way back to mexico, where they are fairly popular--and not just at Sr Frogs.

humm, I'll giver her a try (margarita) but will definitely use radish, jalapeno, cilantro in my Bloody Mary's!

On the Rocks - yes!!!! otherwise it's to me like a blush ... nice when cold but not true in my mind ogsmile

sparkling water .. I'll readily admit that this is not a bad option I use during mid summer hot spells when I'm outside working the yard and on occasion a casual bike ride on paved trails between bars. I use the 'flavored' croix to offset alcohol content with water - sad, sure but works for me.

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sparkling water? You put water in your drink? Some kind of margerita spritzer?
And I agree, no slush suggestions. I'm not crazy about skiing in it. I refuse to drink it.
I found something called 'fine med salt' which is fine but irregular large grains. Works very nicely with traditional m:s. The flakes I've found a little too big, too much salt in each sip.

TS
Swede

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Cont'd

'Med' as in Mediterranean.

Then I'm a Tommy's-drinker in the winter months. So no salt.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just let my wife, margaritamarcia, make my margarita when I want one. Then I don't have to worry about the ingredients.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January