• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mammoth is a an awesome wax lab *right now*

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Let's say you have a setup that is good in slush. You have good structure, you have speedy wax that's been brushed like crazy.

Guess what? You're *still* going to stick in the the day old fine cement fresh snow at the top.

Some observations : no wax at all sticks everywhere except for the groomers at the top. High speeds are literally dangerous because you will endo.

LF10 runs great at the bottom, better than One Ball Jay. High speeds possible - low on the mountain only. Very definite sticking in fresh up top, workable on cat tracks and skied out access paths.

Dominator Renew G with Butter - superb low down on the mountain. Awesome even. Beyond the top of lift 6 the skis are unusable except for doing really really slow 11s.

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Dude, FX11 with FG77. Seems hard, but try it. With the fresh it's good.

TS
cantunamunch

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Everything is running well today. One thing that is notably unexpected - Briko universal fluoro liquid is showing serious longevity.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you are playing with wax, in spring conditions I've had some luck with a slightly hard, fluoridated wax. The fluoro seems to keep things moving in the sticky sloppy while the wax with hardness matched to the more aggressive crystals keeps things moving at the top. It's not a perfect solution and I have no experience with Maplus though people seem to like it. Toko HF or LF DLC mixed with Alpha, Beta, LF7 or LF 8 work well. Also I've had good luck with GW-25 with Alpha or Beta. I should point out that my wax decisions are not based on what's best, but rather what's on hand.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Toko HF Blue is the clear winner today.

Whoa!!! Not totally surprised though, i have found that the Holmenkol equivalent, Ultra, works a lot higher up the rem range than stated! I also have a Holmenkol wax chart that shows a mix of Ultra and alpha (yellow) in these conditions!!!

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I also have a Holmenkol wax chart that shows a mix of Ultra and alpha (yellow) in these conditions!!!

Ultra/alpha is a good combo for spring slaloms when you have hard and warm snow. I think the ultra helps in the salted snow, but I don't know enough about the chemistry to know why it works. I suspect this is just a cheap alternative to a HF blue.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Ultra/alpha is a good combo for spring slaloms when you have hard and warm snow. I think the ultra helps in the salted snow, but I don't know enough about the chemistry to know why it works. I suspect this is just a cheap alternative to a HF blue.

Cheap?
I knew there was a reason I liked it...:)